WAVE - Antonio Carlos Jobim - packaging

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I've only ever owned one copy of WAVE by Antonio Carlos Jobim. It's CD 0812, has the green cover photo instead of the original red, is packaged in a standard jewel case, and the disc face reads A&M Records Jazz Series.
1626618197366.png

1626617938016.png
The only CD that looks like mine on Discogs is this one that came in a Digipak. It's got the CD 0812 inside a rectangle at the top of the CD face. I wonder if they simply ran out of Digipaks and started using jewel cases before they switched the disc face over to the PolyGram numbering scheme.

I've only ever owned one copy of WAVE by Antonio Carlos Jobim. It's CD 0812, has the green cover photo instead of the original red, is packaged in a standard jewel case, and the disc face reads A&M Records Jazz Series.
1626618197366.png

1626617938016.png
The only CD that looks like mine on Discogs is this one that came in a Digipak. It's got the CD 0812 inside a rectangle at the top of the CD face. I wonder if they simply ran out of Digipaks and started using jewel cases before they switched the disc face over to the PolyGram numbering scheme.
I have mine in the later Jewel case but still the same Green cover and Same CD Label design but it sounds Great 👍

The only CD that looks like mine on Discogs is this one that came in a Digipak. It's got the CD 0812 inside a rectangle at the top of the CD face. I wonder if they simply ran out of Digipaks and started using jewel cases before they switched the disc face over to the PolyGram numbering scheme
I was working in a record store in the late '80s/early '90s. Near as I can recall, those wallet CTI/Horizon issues with the four-digit ID were pretty much a first-run deal. I don't ever remember our store receiving any -- only the jewel case version. I have a couple from the day (my Ornette Coleman CD is dated OCT88) and a few purchased recently used once I became curious and discovered via Discogs how many were actually issued in the series.

Does your Jewel case version have the A&M address on it? Otherwise, if its Polygram's info -- then that may be your answer: after the 1989 Polygram acquisition the new management may have cut back on the nice packaging...since Polygram is only in it for the money. (That always happens: Blue Note was sold to Liberty in 1965 -- which was bad enough, but then Liberty was acquired by Transamerica Corporation in 1968 -- whose management clearly had little-to-no regard for musical art and label quality substantially deteriorated.)

Back
Top Bottom