Why Is Time and Singles 1974-1978 not on SHM?

Kristopher

Since I began to restart my collection all over again, I noticed that everything has had an SHM release except 2 albums, Richard’s Time and Singles 74-78.

I heard about Singles being planned but then got cancelled. As a compilation it stands solid, and has been played quite often thru my life. Many times I had a car copy of this.

If “Karen Carpenter” was released as an SHM release why hasn’t Time been given the same treatment? In fact I don’t think Time has ever been reissued in any shape or form other then being added to iTunes.

"Time" isn't on SHM because there's no money in releasing it that way. It wasn't in print as a CD for long at all either. The record bombed totally so other than finding the LP or a CD (there's one on eBay for 30 bucks), that's the only way you'll likely ever find it.

I'm not even aware that 74-48 was a major release, was it?

Ed

It is kinda curious that "Karen Carpenter" came out as SHM. I'm not aware it did that well either, did it?

Ed

Well, not to rain on anyone's parade, but the SHM thing is really just a marketing gimmick. It stands for "Super High Material", and if you think that sounds rather vague, well that's by design. It's purely about the type of plastic used to surround the disc layer, and it's supposedly clearer, resulting in fewer read errors. The fact is that regular CD players are designed to do their own error correction and do so rather flawlessly. (Perhaps they should have been more honest and called it SHP-CD - for Super Highly Priced!)

Most of the SHM discs I own are the ones that were only available that way. But I do have a few where I also own the regular CD of that title, and there is no difference in the sound.

Most Japanese releases are out there until they sell out. The KAREN CARPENTER SHM-CD was released in 2012 and is still available, which is probably an indication of its lack of popularity.

Well, not to rain on anyone's parade, but the SHM thing is really just a marketing gimmick. It stands for "Super High Material", and if you think that sounds rather vague, well that's by design. It's purely about the type of plastic used to surround the disc layer, and it's supposedly clearer, resulting in fewer read errors. The fact is that regular CD players are designed to do their own error correction and do so rather flawlessly. (Perhaps they should have been more honest and called it SHP-CD - for Super Highly Priced!)

Most of the SHM discs I own are the ones that were only available that way. But I do have a few where I also own the regular CD of that title, and there is no difference in the sound.

Yeah, it's absolutely total nonsense, of course. The mastering is the mastering regardless. Cool logo tho...LOL!

Ed

Most Japanese releases are out there until they sell out. The KAREN CARPENTER SHM-CD was released in 2012 and is still available, which is probably an indication of its lack of popularity.

There are many on eBay as we speak.

Ed

I just got that back this week! I had the regular release before.

Someone did help me with the 2 Live albums before. I now own all the basic albums on CD even Christmas Portrait West German Version.

I have everything now, I just need to wait till I have the money to buy the 2009/2016 SHM discs after hearing loveliness. When I find a new place I’ll start collecting my records again. I miss my offering, I didn’t know last year was the last time I’d see it after showing a friend.

After that buy back the live 2009 discs that I had before. I’m grateful someone helped me with those digitally till I can buy them again.

"Time" isn't on SHM because there's no money in releasing it that way. It wasn't in print as a CD for long at all either. The record bombed totally so other than finding the LP or a CD (there's one on eBay for 30 bucks), that's the only way you'll likely ever find it.

I'm not even aware that 74-48 was a major release, was it?

Ed

As far as I know, Richard’s 1997 album isn’t on SHM either.

If one Googles SHM one is confronted initially with the definition of Simple Harmonic Motion, which is not a musical concept referring to counterpoint technique, but which has to do with the accelerating movement of a point along a line...about as helpful to understanding disc quality as Super High Material...

If anything, SHM-CD should find a way to be scratch resistant! Too many CDs of mine get scratched from using a soft cotton cloth on them just a little too hard to get rid of fingerprint smudges. Then instead of a fingerprint smudge, I have a permanent scratch. I don't even wipe my CDs anymore unless they give me an AccurateRip error because they're so prone to scratching, even with cotton and microfiber cloths...

If anything, SHM-CD should find a way to be scratch resistant! Too many CDs of mine get scratched from using a soft cotton cloth on them just a little too hard to get rid of fingerprint smudges. Then instead of a fingerprint smudge, I have a permanent scratch. I don't even wipe my CDs anymore unless they give me an AccurateRip error because they're so prone to scratching, even with cotton and microfiber cloths...
I've experienced this as well! I've learned even a small and light piece of dust caught between the CD and microfibre cloth can result in a slight scratch if you're not careful. I am now a lot more cognizant of when I should clean a CD.

On a related note, it really irks me that Time is still not on Spotify in the UK. I’ve got the CD anyway but not sure why it’s not available online when it has been overseas for some time and Karen’s album is there.

Back
Top Bottom