🎵 AotW AOTW: Herb Alpert - JUST YOU AND ME (SP-4591)

What Is Your Favorite Song?

• Promenade

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Musique

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Just You And Me

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Grandpa Lou

• Aria

• Yankee Doodle

• Spanish Nights

• One Night Lover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Lady Needs Romance

• The Day Will Come

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
I seem to have two copies of the LP. Back a few pages ago, I posted what one of them looks like. It has a hole punch in the upper right and a promo sticker lower left. Inside is a white label promo. I thought that was my only copy, but today I see a stock copy in my library - in really nice shape too. This must have been part of some bulk purchase I've forgotten about.

Both have the dark-wine colored insert with only a catalog number printed on it.

I do remember being initially disappointed that they went to the expense of making a custom inner-sleeve, but then didn't put anything on it. I guess they were just going for "classy."

Nope. I refuse to buy club pressings. It would have gone right back to the seller otherwise. I've found each and every record club vinyl pressing I've ever purchased to sound like total garbage.

Agreed on that. Perhaps a promo run without markings that only got a white innersleeve. Just taking stabs in the dark.

Agreed on that. Perhaps a promo run without markings that only got a white innersleeve. Just taking stabs in the dark.
I was hoping to find a sealed promo, but they're hard enough to find sealed even on a stock copy. But at least they're inexpensive.

My other thought is that they made a limited run of the maroon innersleeve and switched to paper when those ran out. It wasn't a big seller, so I even doubt that it might have had a second pressing run. Or maybe if it did have two runs, the first one was very small to gauge interest in the record before pressing more of them.

I thought it might have been a re-seal but the record is flawless. My other good copy is a promo copy and I have to say that in terms of how they sound, they are nearly identical. So yep, that's another clue it's genuine A&M, thank goodness!

For anyone else following along, the club versions I've owned from various clubs either sound too soft (the highs are muted), or they'll have an odd tonal balance. Either way, they don't hold up to A&M's originals by a long shot, and all record club pressings use tapes at least one generation away from the original master tape...more likely two or three generations away. And sometimes, visually, things aren't right, such as using incorrect label colors or fonts (which are more helpful when visually inspecting a record). A couple of my Capitol Record Club "clones" have an olive tint to them...even a Verve record (which is black and silver). Although oddly, occasionally, the vinyl pressing itself is quieter. Those Capitol club releases did have nice quiet vinyl.

FYI the website is missing album art for Just You and Me, which should be between the Herb/Hugh -The Main Event and Rise.

Doubt you'll ever see it, as it won't be re-issued. And the two H&H albums are in reverse sequence.
Also, was told that the three Almo Sounds Herb albums will be added.

1630950035600.png

I think it's fair to reiterate here that the Herb Alpert album JUST YOU AND ME will never see another release, certainly not in our lifetimes. That's the way I read the tea leaves.

To those who want it: go out and get yourself a vinyl or tape copy of the album and transfer it - or have it transferred - to digital. That's pretty much the only way to go. The album was almost experimental - the kind of thing one can do when one owns a record company. Yes, many of us like it, but it is an album unto itself. It doesn't really fit in with any of Herb's other albums or styles. Any and every track on JUST YOU AND ME sounds like it could only be from that album.

It obviously never sold well, and I believe Herb probably disavows the album, and that's why we'll never see it re-released. The good part about doing your own transfer is that finding the album in a clean state is pretty easy. No-one ever played it much to beat it up, so the copies that are out there are generally in pretty good shape.

The good part about doing your own transfer is that finding the album in a clean state is pretty easy. No-one ever played it much to beat it up, so the copies that are out there are generally in pretty good shape.
I haven't lucked into much good used vinyl lately, but I found a sealed one that I tacked onto a Discogs order a while back, so I have two clean copies here, and the latest I know is unplayed. I did a needle drop ages ago but for some reason, can't find the files for it. I have better equipment now, so my next drop should sound better. Just waiting for word on some new equipment before I clean up the record and give it a try.

1630950035600.png

I think it's fair to reiterate here that the Herb Alpert album JUST YOU AND ME will never see another release, certainly not in our lifetimes. That's the way I read the tea leaves.

To those who want it: go out and get yourself a vinyl or tape copy of the album and transfer it - or have it transferred - to digital. That's pretty much the only way to go. The album was almost experimental - the kind of thing one can do when one owns a record company. Yes, many of us like it, but it is an album unto itself. It doesn't really fit in with any of Herb's other albums or styles. Any and every track on JUST YOU AND ME sounds like it could only be from that album.

It obviously never sold well, and I believe Herb probably disavows the album, and that's why we'll never see it re-released. The good part about doing your own transfer is that finding the album in a clean state is pretty easy. No-one ever played it much to beat it up, so the copies that are out there are generally in pretty good shape.
I still have my copy and the Needledrop CDs ( I made a few backup copies) and ripped it into my computer I agree with you Harry sadly it's a sad shame that it will never be reissued but thankfully since 1994 I have kept this in my collection and still in Very Good playable condition and it transferred very well to Digital CDR and what's even more interesting the radio station I work at has a copy of JYAM And I'm probably the only DJ who uses It ( albeit sparingly because of its age and general condition)

I'd love to be over there someday and hear a track from JUST YOU AND ME on the radio! Put that in as a request!

I was able to download Promenade from Napster back in the day, but was never able to download Musique, which was my favorite cut from the album. To my tastes, both of those tracks and Grandpa Lou would be worth a re-release, but some of the rest of the album is a little odd...

For those looking for JUST YOU & ME, click on my avatar and select "Start Conversation" to open a private conversation with me.

FYI the website is missing album art for Just You and Me, which should be between the Herb/Hugh -The Main Event and Rise.
Actually, it would fall between CONEY ISLAND and HERB/HUGH.

Back
Top Bottom