Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook

I’m surprised to see The Rainbow Connection on the track list. I didn’t know it was one of his favorites especially over a true song written for Carpenters. In light of Karen not wanting her version released, interesting choice!!

I’m surprised that Rainbow Connection is on it. I’m kind of surprised that he didn’t include a track from his “Time” album. Or it would’ve been interesting to have maybe seen him do his favorite Karen solo track.

But I wonder if Richard might’ve laid some vocals down as he was playing?

I’m surprised that Rainbow Connection is on it. I’m kind of surprised that he didn’t include a track from his “Time” album. Or it would’ve been interesting to have maybe seen him do his favorite Karen solo track.

But I wonder if Richard might’ve laid some vocals down as he was playing?
Whereas Richard's initial hope was to include some non-Carpenters songs that are also personal to him, this album features several of the tunes he and Karen recorded together that he felt had some of the strongest melodies.

And no—there are no vocals on the album.

Whereas Richard's initial hope was to include some non-Carpenters songs that are also personal to him, this album features several of the tunes he and Karen recorded together that he felt had some of the strongest melodies.

If this is successful, would perhaps Decca release the Christmas album he's been working on for the last almost two decades? Perhaps the question in rhetorical and wishful thinking at this point.

Piano only sounds really pretty and relaxing...
Wouldn't it be great if Richard did a live performance (or even a little tour?) where he would play some of the tunes from the album and sneak in a few of his personal non-Carpenters songs/tunes (like maybe say... The Beatles, or The Barries' "Why don't you write me")? :cool:

If this is successful, would perhaps Decca release the Christmas album he's been working on for the last almost two decades? Perhaps the question in rhetorical and wishful thinking at this point.
Let me see if I can help provide some clarity to the elusive "Christmas album" confusion.

Part of the issue is that there were multiple attempts to do an album, each one different in concept, that ultimately resulted in a lack of satisfaction on Richard's part with what he'd recorded.

One project involved country singer Mandy Barnett. Several tracks were cut—and many finished, but the album stayed on the shelf. Another project involved instrumental Christmas music which included piano and orchestra primarily. However, Richard was finding he had trouble playing what he wrote in some cases, and ultimately decided against completing it.

All this to say, that if a solo Christmas album were to surface, it would likely be one with fresh inspiration, with brand new recordings. :)

Let me see if I can help provide some clarity to the elusive "Christmas album" confusion.

Part of the issue is that there were multiple attempts to do an album, each one different in concept, that ultimately resulted in a lack of satisfaction on Richard's part with what he'd recorded.

One project involved country singer Mandy Barnett. Several tracks were cut—and many finished, but the album stayed on the shelf. Another project involved instrumental Christmas music which included piano and orchestra primarily. However, Richard was finding he had trouble playing what he wrote in some cases, and ultimately decided against completing it.

All this to say, that if a solo Christmas album were to surface, it would likely be one with fresh inspiration, with brand new recordings. :)
I know that there is a part three after the new album releases. When will we hear more about it?

Superstar has a very beautiful melody, but maybe he’s saving it for Piano 2.

I guess this new release means a second edition of RPO will have to wait. They'd be to similar to market.

"....songs that he presents from a catalog that has sold over 120 million records worldwide include..."

From Richard:
“I’ve not only been into music since I was a kid, but records as well, and everything to do with them. In the late forties and early fifties, the Big Three labels were: Columbia, Victor, and Decca…Bing Crosby was on Decca !
“When the label asked if I might be interested in recording an album of Carpenters songs on solo piano, I could only think of my Mom and Dad, and what an enormous compliment this was to their son, who never wanted to practice."
“But this was a challenge. For somebody who likes to turn everything into a production, like our records, to adapt them for solo piano was a tall order, but the piano is a remarkable instrument, with a remarkable range, and I believe I’ve given the songs chosen a fairly good reading.”
---
The definitive biography of the duo, Carpenters: The Musical Legacy (Princeton Architectural Press) is published in the same week as the new album, on October 19. Their story is told for the first time from the perspective of Richard Carpenter, based on over 100 hours of exclusive interviews. It features some 200 photographs from Richard’s personal archive, many of them never published.

Source:

I know im surprised too. I wish he would have done all of my life or road ode.
“Rainbow Connection” was requested by the Decca UK chief who is the brainchild of the project. She knew it from “ATGB.” Maybe not so coincidentally, we shot the promo videos on a certain lot in downtown Hollywood. (Mum’s the word.)
Chris and I both were blessed to work the shoot that historic day.
BTW: The whole album the amazing. The best track, in fact, does not appear in the first sizzle.
The week ending the 22st can’t come quickly enough for the three of us.

@Mike Cidoni Lennox a question about the talk shop event with Richard , in the U.K. it’s going to shown at midnight so will there be a chance to rewatch after ? As in , will the talk be kept on the website?

@Mike Cidoni Lennox a question about the talk shop event with Richard , in the U.K. it’s going to shown at midnight so will there be a chance to rewatch after ? As in , will the talk be kept on the website?
Yes, it’ll be repeated.

But STAY UP AND WATCH! The timing was intentional, so fans in the BST zone could view live.

I’m OLD, have a day job, and also work into the wee hours.

So, I’m hoping you can handle one late night. If not, it’ll be on the TalkShop site for a good long time.

See you next week!

“Rainbow Connection” was requested by the Decca UK chief who is the brainchild of the project. She knew it from “ATGB.” Maybe not so coincidentally, we shot the promo videos on a certain lot in downtown Hollywood. (Mum’s the word.)
Chris and I both were blessed to work the shoot that historic day.
BTW: The whole album the amazing. The best track, in fact, does not appear in the first sizzle.
The week ending the 22st can’t come quickly enough for the three of us.
I wonder how the “Rainbow Connection” have done in 2001 had the single been released in th UK & Canada?

Ummmm. Are you telling us something here?!?!😏😜
Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom