One&Done @ A&M: Nick De Caro / Happy Heart -- SP 4176

In this area, the latter three got far more airplay than the former three .Lee Michaels-1 song ever played, Procol Harum-2 songs ever played, Melvin Van Peebles-0 songs played.
Claudine-several songs played, Brasil'66-over 2 dozen songs played, Sandpipers-several songs played.
I'm not sure what all that means in a quantitative sense, but there's no denying that by the early '70s Claudine and the Sandpipers quickly fell into the margins of pop while Procol Harum (and to lesser extent Lee Michaels) emerged into significant artist on several fronts; so while Herb may have won a short-term battle or two, Jerry obviously won the war.

Going from memory, I think Procol Harum was a licensing deal--"A Whiter Shade of Pale" was an early single by the group released on the Deram label around the world in 1967, but it did not get an A&M release until 1972.

I'm not sure what all that means in a quantitative sense, but there's no denying that by the early '70s Claudine and the Sandpipers quickly fell into the margins of pop while Procol Harum (and to lesser extent Lee Michaels) emerged into significant artist on several fronts; so while Herb may have won a short-term battle or two, Jerry obviously won the war.
Jerry and Herb picked the worst year to make their bet. The label had one big single in 1969—“Black Pearl” by Sonny Charles & Checkmates, LTD.—-and that only made it to #13, and one big album—-JOE COCKER!—-which could only get to #11, but at least went Gold.

Interestingly, both this and the Alan Copeland Singers' IF LOVE COMES WITH IT are on Apple Music currently. But Sergio's LOOK AROUND is unavailable. Hopefully, that's temporary.

Qobuz has all three. Sometimes my problem is more with how the search results are returned, vs. the title not being there. The worst search I ever used (on a trial basis--I'd never pay them a penny) was Tidal. There were some albums where I had to find a really unusual song title on the album to be able to dig it out of their search results--searching under every variation of artist name and the album title never would work.

Qobuz has all three. Sometimes my problem is more with how the search results are returned, vs. the title not being there. The worst search I ever used (on a trial basis--I'd never pay them a penny) was Tidal. There were some albums where I had to find a really unusual song title on the album to be able to dig it out of their search results--searching under every variation of artist name and the album title never would work.
Yeah, I did every permutation. Returns only GREATEST HITS and the 25th Anniversary Collection.

Sergio Mendez. ?
Or how about with the accent over the "e" in Sergio?

Brazil, Brasil

'66

??

You can do an album title search, which is how I found it on Qobuz. (I didn't try any of the Mendes variations--didn't need to.) It's usually easier to do that when a band or artist has had many permutations and misspellings over the years.

On Amazon Music, if you search Sergio Mendes, you get his solo work but only a couple of the B'66 albums. If you search "Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66" you get some of the B'66 albums but not all of them -- the only way I've been able to find Stillness is by searching for the album title, and there it is. Same with Primal Roots.... but Pais Tropical comes up on the Sergio Mendes search. I haven't checked lately to see if Look Around is there.

That's one of the disadvantages of streaming.... my CD collection has never told me that one of my albums is unavailable!

I did finally get around to purchasing the Download version of Happy Heart a couple weeks ago it sounds pretty decent I lost my vinyl copy long ago but now it's back in my computer and in my tablet

That's one of the disadvantages of streaming.... my CD collection has never told me that one of my albums is unavailable!
But I usually don't stream anything I already own, so...moot point there. Many of us with Qobuz (or the unfortunate souls who use Tidal) also use it integrated into Roon Player or other, similar players, which much better sort out what is available. In Roon, the Brasil '66 or Brasil 'Whatever albums are also linked to Sergio Mendes, so all I need to do is look up "Sergio Mendes" and I get everything, and with one click I can switch between my ripped collection and Qobuz, and my ripped collection (my "library") only.

The Alpert recordings are even more haphazard, especially since the high-res downloads were sometimes not tagged correctly, or Roon (using the flawed MusicBrainz metadata service) pulled out incorrect information. I found one download tagged as "Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass." And there many official variations along the way--Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass, Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, Herb Alpert & the T.J.B., Herb Alpert, etc. Computer sorting would treat all of these as different names, but Roon player solves it all by tying together under the common artist "Herb Alpert."

Last edited:
This is one of my all time favorite arrangements created by the great Nick De Caro. The arrangement exudes a joy for life. Music by Baden Powell--English lyrics by Norman Gimbel--arrangement by Nick De Caro--what a musical lineup for the Sandpipers.

I’ve said it before—-this, with Nick’s arrangement, should have been a Sergio Mendes & Brasil ‘66 single.

I never did hear Nick's A&M album but I remember a single of his called "Canned Music" that was OK pop. It was from an album called Italian Graffiti on the Blue Thumb label. Pretty unmemorable, for me at least -- about all I remember is the chorus of the single. I think I tried to order the A&M one from our distributor at least once but they never had it.

In this area, the latter three got far more airplay than the former three .Lee Michaels-1 song ever played, Procol Harum-2 songs ever played, Melvin Van Peebles-0 songs played.
Claudine-several songs played, Brasil'66-over 2 dozen songs played, Sandpipers-several songs played.
If the airplay didn’t translate to sales, it didn’t count.

Back
Top Bottom