🎵 AotW Michel Colombier: Wings (A&M Records SPX 4281 / SP 3503)

sp4281.jpg
Michel Colombier:
Wings

A&M Records SPX 4281
(Also released as SP 3503)
Released 1971

This week's AOTW is an epic musical extravaganza with numerous players, most notably Lani Hall, Herb Alpert, Tom Scott, Paul Williams, Kai Winding, Bob Edmundson, Vermettya Royster, Rita Coolidge and Bill Medley. WINGS was reissued as A&M SP 3503 and later on CD, now out-of-print and highly collectable.

Side One: Freedom & Fear (Bill Medley) 5:00/ Earth (instrumental) 3:27/ Thalassa (instrumental) 2:30/ Doesn't Anybody Know? (Paul Williams) 3:17/ Pourquoi Pas? (instrumental) 2:46.

Side Two: Morning is Come Again (Bill Medley) 5:13/ For Those Who Cannot Hear (Vermettya Royster) 3:12/ We Could Be Flying (Lani Hall) 4:10/ Emmanuel (instrumental) 3:05/ All in All (Herb Alpert) 4:33.

Produced by Herb Alpert/ Engineers: Roger Roche, France, and Larry Levine, U.S.A./ Remastered in June 1977 by Bernie Grundman at A&M Studios/
The pop orchestra sedction was recorded at Studio Europe Sonor, Paris, France. Additional music recorded at A&M Recording Studios, U.S.A.

Art Direction Ronald Young/ Design Junie Osaki/ Photography back cover by Mark Hanauer/ Inside by Jim McCrary, Gilbert Nencioli and Herb Alpert/ cover painting by J. Michel Folon/ Liner notes by Jason McClosky.

JB

1632340687347.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both vinyl versions and still listen to them from time to time,but this was a failed experiment. Concept albums were all the rage when this came out but this one is living on a threadbare mish-mash of West Coast guruism. Herb's song at the end-"All in all we've had a taste of the good and the bad Times spent in love were the best that we've had"-just about sums thing up but what is the big deal here? It also suffers frim a severe case of schizophrenia with the different voices on different songs(Medley gets two,but why?)and the French musicians do not gel with their US counterparts. The album has an odd balance of(Side One) vocal-instrumental-instrumental-vocal-instrumental-(Side Two)vocal-vocal-vocal-instrumental-vocal. Well recorded pretension where the parts are better than the whole-quite the opposite desired efect. Mac

My first taste of this album was when Lani's song, "We Could Be Flying" got airplay, but no-one on the radio ever said it was from an album by Michel Colombier called Wings. It wasn't until I was reading the credits to Lani's Sun Down Lady that I became aware of Wings, but failed to do anything about it -- here was the song on an album -- good enough for me at the time.

By the re-release, I was working in radio and got a copy or two of the new version. Here I finally learned of the song's true origins as part of this pop-symphony experiment. Side two was the preferable one, and I enjoyed Herb's contribution too.

Flash forward to 1986. While browsing through one of those new-fangled CD racks, I spotted the Wings album, now out on comapct disc. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm happy I sprang for it back then, seeing today's prices on eBay.

I've yet to find the original version on vinyl.

Harry
NP: Wings, Michel Colombier

I've got the original SPX 4281, which is housed in a die-cut gatefold cover, with the record tucked behind a stiff inner cardboard backing, from which it's removable from the left side. Don't pull the record out too fast, or you'll rip the flimsy die cut front to pieces. The artist's photo is on the back.
This has to be among the most poorly designed LP packages in history.
JB

Jim-Where were you when I bought my copy 6/12/71(I used to write the purchase date in my LPs)? I probably opened it up on a subway. I distinctly remember taking my younger brother to a John Sebastian show and we had stopped in a downtown Philly record store(probably Sam Goody). And,yeah,I ripped that sucker good! The die cut seems to be the same size as Paul Williams' JUST AN OLD FASHIONED LOVE SONG,which would be released a few months later,sans gatefold. I wonder if they learned their lesson? Getting out the album,I noticed that the list of performers is in this order:Medley,Hall,Williams,Alpert,Royster. Notice that listing is not alphabetical,nor chronological,nor according to some star status( though Medley was still signed to MGM and it is possible he got top billing in exchange for the loan). Herb's name is kinda buried in it,though he is producer(and for this massive effort that was some job)and contributes to photography. Also,his bio in the liner notes comes last. Sure it was an act of modesty,but Herb was clearly the best known and biggest seller(how many people would know back then that Bill Medley was a Righteous Brother). As a marketing tool,wouldn't you have thought that pushing his name on the cover might have brought in additional sales(and this album needed all it could get)? For those who do not own the album,Herb does the vocal on the last track and contributes no trumpet part. Mac

Thanks; always glad someone can relate to stories of this nature. You're right, A&M learned to make sturdier die-cut LP covers henceforth. Procol Harum's BROKEN BARRICADES (SP 4294) had small window sized holes. The 3rd CARPENTERS (self-titled) album had that flap thing, which also was used on Hoyt Axton's LESS THAN THE SONG (SP 4376).
Some of my older LPs have the purchase date written in them. I always took the record out and wrote it inside the sleeve where it wouldn't mess up the artwork.
Fortunately, my promo copy of SPX 4281 doesn't have a torn cover. That's because nobody other than myself has ever handled it.
JB

Unlike Mac I enjoyed this album thoroughly! I was only about 14 when I first bought the LP, but I was blown away with what I heard. I hadn't been exposed to sounds like this before, so this was quite a treat. I used to bring this to the band room and play it on the stereo there, and my friends really dug. Admittedly, when we listened to "All In All" we would giggle at all of the sexual innuendos of the lyrics. :D But "Earth" was my favorite song on this record. I just thought it was an exciting tune. I still think it sounds just as fresh and contemporary today. In fact, if I may be so bold, I thought the album was a bit ahead of its time when it was released. I guess the only part I didn't really care for was Paul William's vocals, but other than that this was a great album.

Capt. Bacardi

This was one that I picked up at age 13 or 14 and was excirted to find as it had a new song by Herb that I'd never heard. Overall I was disappointed in it when I first acquired it, playing ony the Herb and Lani cuts as well as the instrumentals.

When it was reissued with the wacky cover featuring men in suits flying I gave it another listen. As a more mature music fan I found the album to be outstanding and blam my initial dislike of it on being a youngster at the time, thought the Alpert & Hall tunes remain my favorites. This album was truly ahead of its time.

My copy of 4281 had a torn gatefold when I got it (even the shrink wrap was torn) but I still have the yellow band (sort of like an OBI) that wrapped it...

--Mr Bill
...who also has the bands that wrapped the Foursider series before the text on the bands was printed in the black portions of the LP covers...

This LP reeked of 'significance' when it came to my college radio station. I tried and tried to find its inner secret, but could only latch onto 'We Could Be Flying', which is wonderful. Too bad the other great Frenchman named Michel (LeGrand)was signed to Bell at the time. But then again, he would've likewise struggled to overcome the weird concept behind this LP.

I made a CD of Herb Alpert vocal tracks, and included "All In All" on it. It's a great song. I prefer the non-orchestrated version of Lani's "We Could Be Flying" though, probably because I heard it that way first on SUN DOWN LADY.

The rest of the album, I've never been able to get into. I just don't get it! I'm not a huge fan of Bill Medley's voice, maybe that's what kept me from enjoying it fully.

Having said that, I'd still buy a CD version of it if I could find a reasonably priced one, just to get a great digital copy of "All In All." Like others above, if I gave this one more chances I'd probably like it better.

Final thought....For big-orchestrated-A&M-pop-concept-albums, I would take Burt Bacharach's WOMAN disk over this one.

Hey How about that? The Cover of the original version is now showing up in the AOTW spot on the main page... :wink:

--Mr Bill
album-cover-uploading-sumbidge

I remember listening to this in college, only played it a couple of times...couldn't really get into it...too "heavy" for me...I'd like to listen to it again, but doubt if I'll ever be able to find a CD or even a vinyl copy... :cry:

Dan, trying Gemm...

DAN BOLTON said:
I remember listening to this in college, only played it a couple of times...couldn't really get into it...too "heavy" for me...I'd like to listen to it again, but doubt if I'll ever be able to find a CD or even a vinyl copy... :cry:

Dan, trying Gemm...

Gemm has a couple of CDs and LPs...one used CD was 60 bucks, and a used LP ws 190 bucks...and the seller rating wasn't very high for either vendor...ebay prices must be through the roof... :rolleyes:

Dan

My two cents about the artist . . .

Some months prior to delivering this album, Colombier had served as arranger and conductor on Al Martino's version of the Elvis hit "Can't Help Falling in Love" (released on Capitol single 2746). Only said individual's name was misspelled "Michel Columbia" on the label.

While going over credits for this album,I never noticed before but Jean-Luc Ponty is listed as part of the French-recorded string trio. By this time in Ponty's career he had made numerous recordings in Europe as a leader and was making significant inroads in the US since an appearance at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1967. A high point on Ponty's resume up until this time world probably be KING KONG, an album composed and arranged by Frank Zappa. In some ways Ponty was a bigger star than many of the musicians listed in either US or French groups. Also,I have a couple of small group recordings by French organist Eddie Louiss who also recorded on WINGS and he is highly under rated. Mac

I personally love this album and like a lot of others, got it when it first came out solely because of Lani's name on the cover. It took a while for my young ears to "grow" into some of the denser textures. Michel Colombier has incredible credits--he met Herb when he was Petula Clark's arranger/conductor and Petula guest starred on the special, but he's written and arranged for tons of people, as well as having scored many movies. His collaboration with Flora Purim, "Everyday, Everynight" was re-released on CD last year and is well worth getting, though it's import price is pretty steep.

I'm with Jeff...I love this album. Always have. I'm blessed to have the original cover, as my Father purchased the Lp on its initial release. I recall him saying that he thought Wings was "ahead of it's time..." How right he was. Of course, my favorite cut is Lani's "We Could Be Flying." She absolutely shines here. My favorite part is when she giggles following the instrumental bridge. Very subtle, but you can hear it if you listen closely.

The rest of the album is masterful as well. I went ahead and purchased my own copy of Wings when I was a teenager and listened to it often. Colombier is an awesome musician and arranger. Wings was definitely a labor of love. It puts me in the mind of Bacharach's moods, emotions and ideas regarding musical arrangement. I gave it four stars, though I should have used five...it's a masterpiece!

Jon

Brasil_Nut said:
Of course, my favorite cut is Lani's "We Could Be Flying." She absolutely shines here. My favorite part is when she giggles following the instrumental bridge. Very subtle, but you can hear it if you listen closely.

I've always like that giggle too, and wonder why it's not audible in the Sun Down Lady version of the song. They used the same lead vocal track and there's less instrumental backing in the way - you'd thing it would be more prominent there. Perhaps it was, and they edited it out. Too bad.

Harry
...noting that a Lani Hall giggle also opens "Upa, Neguinho", online...

Harry said:
I've always like that giggle too, and wonder why it's not audible in the Sun Down Lady version of the song. They used the same lead vocal track and there's less instrumental backing in the way - you'd thing it would be more prominent there. Perhaps it was, and they edited it out. Too bad....

I know exactly what you mean. Based on your comment, I pulled out Sun Down Lady and gave "We Should Be Flying" a spin. Although the "giggle" isn't heard, you can hear a slight intake of breath. Perhaps they edited the laughter there?

I don't recall if that giggle can be heard on Lani's Collectibles CD. I want to say it's there, but I'm not entirely sure. Of course, it's in storage with everything else I own. And, you're right again, Harry! It is, indeed, Lani's trademark giggle that opens "Upa, Neguinho"!!

I always liked the "Upa, Neguinho" giggle best -- it's a giggle followed by her realization that the tape is running. "A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...Oh!" I've loved that opening since childhood.

Jon

Perhaps Lani could Jazz-up "I Love To Laugh" from Mary Poppins. Who knows? It could be a big hit!!! :wink:

I've got a some Maxine Nightingale albums (after her hit "Right Back Where We Started From"), NIGHT LIFE, LEAD ME ON and BITTERSWEET, on which Colombier is credited as a musical arranger and conducting string sections. He also does the same on Sylvie Vartan's S/T album, recorded here and in France on RCA. And I even have a S/T Merilee Rush album released ten years after her first one with "Angel of The Morning", that Colombier appears on, and has a re-recording of "Angel", too. Wonder what she was doing during that ten-year hiatus?

He seems to have gone from a notable arranger in his native France to falling into the anonomous sphere of L.A. Studio Menchen.

I never had the original yellow-cover copy of the album. All I ever see is the newer one. One online dealer had a copy of the original cover advertised and at what seemed a reasonable price...but Guess What I Got Instead???!!! :cussing:

Bill Medley is a bit jarring on "Freedom And Fear", but on "Morning Is Come Again" he is a little more the way we will hear him on his two solo albums, SMILE and A SONG FOR YOU--future AOTW's.

"We Could Be Flying" by Lani is good and nice that it is on her SUNDOWN LADY album, but I'm more of a fan of "Save The Sunlight". Paul Williams' "Doesn't Anybody Know" is also worthy of going on one of his solo LP's. Good start for his career with A&M, though.

Dave

...enjoying a morning with our AOTW, but with the "Flying Suits" cover...and the 'newly recorded version' of "Emmanuel"... :rolleyes:

Re-opening this nearly two-decade old thread as I found something that is perhaps of interest to fans of this album. The group known as Liz Damon's Orient Express, who had a hit with "1900 Yesterday", performed the song "All In All" on their VOL. II album for Anthem Records. I've uploaded it to YouTube - the arrangement is pretty similar to the track on WINGS. As most know, Herb Alpert performed that song on WINGS.

Wow... Nice to hear a "cover version" but I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. I initially cringed and had visions of the Alan Copeland Singers album. But a replay has me liking it a little better now, especially once I listened to it with my mind in the time it was recorded, i.e.: the early 70s.

--Mr Bill

I first bought the 1977 reissue in used but very good condition in 1989 in a collectors shop here in Moscow sadly the store went out of business in 1998 but I was intrigued by how different this music was I loved Lani and Herb's contributions and I was familiar with Colombier's "Emmanuel" thanks to the Nadia's theme Comp but to me this was a Different A&M album than I was used to up till then but With Herb being the producer it was well worth more than the price of admission so to speak

Back
Top Bottom