A&M Records Documentary Coming in December

I hate that it's on Epix -- which is a channel we don't get. I'm completely against buying a channel for one program. I wonder if this series will come out on DVD? I'd rather have a permanent copy anyway.

I'm with Mike. I'd purchase a 4K download (which is pretty much the norm these days)...but no, not subscribing to anything just for an hour or two program.

What about taking the trial starting the day of Part 1, which should run until Part2 he following week???

I am looking forward to this. I certainly hope the documentary spends a long time on the early years 1963-1969. If the entire first part focused on these years, that would be just fine with me.

I am looking forward to this. I certainly hope the documentary spends a long time on the early years 1963-1969. If the entire first part focused on these years, that would be just fine with me.
I'm thinking that'll be 30 minutes or less. More surviving video and artists from 1970 onward to work with.

Prepare to be disappointed - each of the two parts reportedly clocks in at 54 minutes each, so I doubt that much time will be spent on the very early days. :sad:

I would wager the first ~10 minutes will be about Herbie and Jerry's respective backgrounds.

I'm trying to understand just what Epix is. It seems to be a cable channel with set times for programs. I've seen the note that says this doc will air at 10 pm Sunday.

But Epix also seems to be something available as an add-on to Amazon Prime Streaming. If that option is chosen, will the doc be available to stream at any time after original airing?

I poked around Prime Video for a bit, and it seems there is a 7-day free trial for EPIX through Prime. There's no mention of any A&M documentary, but from what I'm seeing....

1638663278613.png

If it has the dollar sign, it requires an EPIX subscription.

1638663301694.png

If it has the blue checkmark, it is included in the Prime subscription.

1638663328871.png

Since I use a NVidia SHIELD as my TV device (we don't/won't do cable here), I can download two different EPIX apps from the Play Store. The EPIX app seems to be used to access the channel if you have a cable provider--it asks you to log in with your account credentials with your cable provider in order to access it. However, the EPIX NOW app seems to be the one that lets you get a streaming subscription. And it appears to parallel the cost through Amazon--7-day free trial, and $5.99/month thereafter.

Too much messing around for my blood...I'll just live vicariously through those of you who can get it. 👍

Don't know why we have two of these threads, but I got to see part 1 today:

I poked around and found that I could get "some" of EPIX for free as an add-on to Amazon.com Prime. But it wasn't getting me to the documentary, so I poked around and found the doc listed and tried the "Watch Now" button. Then I was told I needed the EPIX NOW app, which was free for seven days and the $5.99 a month thereafter.

So I signed up for EPIX NOW and was able to watch the first part of the documentary just now.

The first 10-15 minutes are the typical setup of the meeting Herb & Jerry, the bullfights, the garage, "The Lonely Bull" is a hit. Then they show the next few albums quickly and get to WHIPPED CREAM and the cover and the fact that it brought all of the other albums with it into the popular eyes and ears.

Sergio and Lani get decent segment, and then it's on to the Monterey Pop Festival and Jerry regretting not having any artists there, and it's off to England to bring Spooky Tooth, Cat Stevens and Joe Cocker to the label. A good long segment on Joe Cocker comes in here, giving way to Cat Stevens with another long segment of his rise and then his sequestering himself away.

There's a segment on Carpenters, of course, and one on Burt Bacharach. Part one ends with a still photo of Jerry standing with Sting and The Police.
Interviews with Herb and Jerry were conducted in 2012 even though the movie is copyrighted 2021.

There was a segment on the cover art which showed some of the intervening artists not touched on like Claudine Longet and Jimmie Rodgers.

Most of the musical segments were originally on videotape and transferred to film for this presentation. One nice aspect is that whenever there's a voiceover, a text in the lower left tells you who it is - every time. Often in these docs, someone appears on screen with a caption that identifies, but then you're supposed to remember who they are all of the other times they show up. All in all, there's nothing really new here.

Can this be re-watched on EPIX NOW? Like @Michael Hagerty said, one could sign up when the second part is available, and see both in the trial period.

Epix is like HBO or Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc. They only have 4 channels in there lineup of mostly movies. They often get exclusives on popular new releases by outbidding their competitors. Most of what they show is forgettable box office duds. It’s too bad this didn’t premiere on HBO or Netflix instead. More fans have access or can subscribe to them pretty easy. They debuted in late 2009, part of the MGM movie family. I used to have U-verse, now Spectrum/Brighthouse. They both carry Epix, as well as Direct TV.

Thanks for the description which was about as expected. I fiddled about with my Amazon Fire Stick today in an attempt to install Epix for the free trial, but I ran out of time and had to come to work. While I'd love to have a hard copy of it, I decided I'm not going to jump through all the hoops to watch it and then have to remember to watch the next part, and then have to remember to cancel the subscription (which I would be likely to forget about, with December being December) so as not to get charged. It'll probably be on YouTube at some point anyway, and/or all of the information will eventually migrate to Wikipedia.

Heck, even YouTube has a pay-per-view feature. Since everyone can get YouTube easily in some form or other, it makes more sense to release it there, vs. screwing around with some subscription service nobody wants.

There are a couple of things that maybe very few of us understood:

- EPIX - is a "premium" cable channel that has a set schedule, so this doc was slotted at 10 PM Sunday night. (I don't know about time zone differences.)

- EPIX NOW - is the streaming version of EPIX. That is, any of the programs and movies currently running on EPIX are available to stream to the customer at any time. So the documentary, part 1, is still out there. Part 2 will be available next Sunday, probably any time during the day on 12/12.

- EPIX NOW - is available as an add-on to Amazon Prime, and there is a free 7-day trial. At any time that you start now, you'd be able to stream part 1. I don't know how long shows remain available, but surely more than a week. Theoretically, you could sign up next Sunday and watch both parts, and then cancel.

Don't know why we have two of these threads, but I got to see part 1 today:

I poked around and found that I could get "some" of EPIX for free as an add-on to Amazon.com Prime. But it wasn't getting me to the documentary, so I poked around and found the doc listed and tried the "Watch Now" button. Then I was told I needed the EPIX NOW app, which was free for seven days and the $5.99 a month thereafter.

So I signed up for EPIX NOW and was able to watch the first part of the documentary just now.

The first 10-15 minutes are the typical setup of the meeting Herb & Jerry, the bullfights, the garage, "The Lonely Bull" is a hit. Then they show the next few albums quickly and get to WHIPPED CREAM and the cover and the fact that it brought all of the other albums with it into the popular eyes and ears.

Sergio and Lani get decent segment, and then it's on to the Monterey Pop Festival and Jerry regretting not having any artists there, and it's off to England to bring Spooky Tooth, Cat Stevens and Joe Cocker to the label. A good long segment on Joe Cocker comes in here, giving way to Cat Stevens with another long segment of his rise and then his sequestering himself away.

There's a segment on Carpenters, of course, and one on Burt Bacharach. Part one ends with a still photo of Jerry standing with Sting and The Police.
Interviews with Herb and Jerry were conducted in 2012 even though the movie is copyrighted 2021.

There was a segment on the cover art which showed some of the intervening artists not touched on like Claudine Longet and Jimmie Rodgers.

Most of the musical segments were originally on videotape and transferred to film for this presentation. One nice aspect is that whenever there's a voiceover, a text in the lower left tells you who it is - every time. Often in these docs, someone appears on screen with a caption that identifies, but then you're supposed to remember who they are all of the other times they show up. All in all, there's nothing really new here.
I agree, nothing earth shattering here. But I did think it was interesting that Herb said something along the lines of “we got the tape, someone threw it over the gates or something “ in reference to how the got the Carpenters demo tape. I also thought the perspective of the art department was a little off when it comes to designing most of the Carpenters album covers. And the example they showed was the worst, CTY. Finally I caught a quick glimpse of Jack Daugherty holding up the tan album in a group of people that must have been other producers at the label holding their albums.

Back
Top Bottom