Watching Anne Murray FULL CIRCLE documentary

cam89

Hi All,
Am watching on CBC the Anne Murray Full Circle documentary....and they showed a Billboard clip of her charting of Danny's Song at #7...and at #5 you see SING by The Carpenters....

She really has a lovely voice, much different than Karen's...while I find Karen's voice warm, Anne's seems a bit more standoffish but still has some warmth to it, just a bit different than Karen's. I know Karen has been called a Contralto and am wondering that probably Anne was also that although more often than not she is called an ALTO singer....but don't get me wrong...I love Anne....her song's DANNY'S SONG, YOU NEEDED ME, A LOVE SONG, COULD I HAVE THIS DANCE, YOU AND ME (duet with Kenny Rogers) and many other great hits although I cannot stand her huge and first hit SNOWBIRD which she is the first Canadian female singer to get a million selling gold single of that song....

I know that she appeared on MYOKOM....and wondered if she ever personally met K&R....although maybe they met at the 1971 Grammy Awards as they were both nominated for Best New Artist....

I saw that as well BUT the closed caption was on & probably Spectrum fault!! Shania Twain, Jann Arden & Bonnie Raitt also talked about Anne.

I think that Anne Murray has also been described as a contralto. Her vocal range seems to be similar to Karen’s, at least at the lower end. Maybe her lowest recorded note is just a semi-tone or a tone lower.

As for whether she met K&R, I don’t know. I’ve never read that she did, but it’s possible.

Anne Murray faultlessly sings in a range of genres - smooth, straight-ahead pop, country, rock, gospel; even blues-edged, maybe. She seemed to have an extraordinary knack of choosing excellent songs that were just right for her. I don’t think she ever recorded a dud.

My favourites include Son of a Rotten Gambler, One Day I Walk, Cotton Jenny, Highly Prized Possession, Slow Fall, Everything’s Been Changed, Broken-Hearted Me .... so many.

"Everything's Been Changed" (written and sung by Paul Anka) was also done by The 5th Dimension (from 1973 "Living Together, Growing Together"). Can't decide on the song "Cotton Jenny" (written & also done by Gordon Lightfoot from 1971 "Summer Side Of Life").

"Broken Hearted Me" was originally done by England Dan & John Ford Coley (from 1979 "Dr. Heckle & Mr. Jive").

Not sure I've ever heard an Anne Murray song I didn't like. What I wouldn't have given to hear her and Karen do a duet. Did they ever meet?

Cotton Jenny? Not a fan of the song in general; however, Gordon Lightfoot has the definitive version in my opinion. I haven't heard Murray's version, though. And it's interesting because it is a song with a strong male perspective singing about a female. Curious how she approaches the song. As far as Murray goes over all, I am very much fond of "Shadows in the Moonlight" and, like many here, also "Broken Hearted Me." She did (does?) have a knack to pick songs best suited for her voice and style. I give her great credit for that.

I am very much fond of "Shadows in the Moonlight"
I remember my wife hearing that song for the first time. The lyrics of the first line are "We'll be shadows in the moonlight...", and this being 1979 as disco was winding down, she thought Anne was singing, "Boogie shadows in the moonlight..." and quickly dismissed the song as frivolous.

I had to let her know what the real lyrics were and I think she warmed to the song a bit more.

I remember my wife hearing that song for the first time. The lyrics of the first line are "We'll be shadows in the moonlight...", and this being 1979 as disco was winding down, she thought Anne was singing, "Boogie shadows in the moonlight..." and quickly dismissed the song as frivolous.

I had to let her know what the real lyrics were and I think she warmed to the song a bit more.
That's a great story!

Back
Top Bottom