Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook

Ha! Unfortunately none of this stuff was written out.
Well, leads right to something I was wondering. Are these arrangements partially improvised? Seems fairly possible he started with an idea and then went in different directions on different takes. Or am I off the rails on a crazy train.

Hello Everyone. Not been on here for a long time as a log in but have browsed at times.
I was just ordering Richards album and noticed a certain auction site has signed cd's listed.
Curious I did a web search and the Decca website is indeed offering signed cd album by Richard (make sure you click the correct one).
Listed as UK only.
Thanks, Just ordered a Signed copy.
Amazing Album!

Richard Carpenter Revisits His Classic Songs On ‘Piano Songbook’​

The legendary songwriter began teasing the project back in October of 2021, when he released a new version of (They Long To Be) Close To You.

Published on January 16, 2022
By Will Schube
After much anticipation...
"Carpenter brings his unique interpretations to some of the most beloved melodies in the entire pop canon..."
"Other much-loved songs that he presents from a catalog that has sold over 120 million records worldwide include
I Won’t Last a Day Without You, I Need To Be In Love and Rainbow Connection. He also offers a medley featuring
Sing, Goodbye to Love, Eve, and Rainy Days and Mondays."

Here:

#2 in Classical Music Chart.

Album: Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook

iTunes:
#17 Hong Kong

Last edited:
Well, leads right to something I was wondering. Are these arrangements partially improvised? Seems fairly possible he started with an idea and then went in different directions on different takes. Or am I off the rails on a crazy train.
They generally start out that way, and then get refined if that makes any sense?

Here is a video of Richard talking about the new album.
Can someone tell me who David Andrews of Gold Radio?
Was this a UK radio station?

Edit
This appears to be a preview only.

Last edited:
I got my CD this afternoon. The sound is not as harsh as what I’ve heard on iTunes and YouTube. Maybe in these cases the MP3/AAC compression was adding the harshness (YouTube has about a 128kbps audio rate, versus CD’s 1.5 Mbps, and I’m not buying any of the online files, if I want the CD on my phone I’ll rip it to my specs).

But it’s funny, but there are sections of the songs that sounded like they were lifted from the 1997 solo album tapes. There were parts were I was expecting to hear the background orchestrations since they sounded like they were from the 97 CD.

The photo behind the CD (and in the booklet) with Richard playing the piano with headphones on, but they put a 70’s background behind him. It reminded me of the visuals for “Jessica’s Song” from the 1970 Rankin/Bass Christmas special, “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town”.

"So I’m used to working with an orchestra, and background vocals, and all of that.
And just to perform the songs on solo piano was more difficult than any arrangements I’ve ever undertaken, because you have just the piano."

David Andrew's Dec 2021 interview with Richard Carpenter, 28min:

"So I’m used to working with an orchestra, and background vocals, and all of that.
And just to perform the songs on solo piano was more difficult than any arrangements I’ve ever undertaken, because you have just the piano."

David Andrew's Dec 2021 interview with Richard Carpenter, 28min:
Thanks Gary
That’s the video interview I was linking to yesterday above^^ but my link was only a 1 min preview. Richard is getting high tech with zooming from his home. Ha ha

This makes sense why the Medley was split up on streaming sites. The label wanted it that way. Richard almost confirms there will be another piano CD that won’t be shortened versions of their songs.

If the label decides they want Richard to release another solo piano CD. I wonder what they would call it? Piano Songbook II? More Piano Songbook?

I found it interesting that if you look back on the Carpenters official newsletters, there was generally always Q&A and on one of the newsletters a Q was Will Richard ever release a solo piano album?

Per my latest email from Decca marketing team, here is the link to Apple Spatial audio:

Finally, I was able to retrieve Piano Songbook from my post office box as it sat there for a number of days while I was isolated with Covid. Stupid timing, BUT I finally was able to play it through yesterday and to my surprise, I enjoyed it way more than I expected. Gonna give it another spin again today.

Stupid question: So since Richard is with A&M, contractually, how is he able to make a record for Decca? Is their some clause in his A&M contract that lets him record for another label?

Stupid question: So since Richard is with A&M, contractually, how is he able to make a record for Decca? Is their some clause in his A&M contract that lets him record for another label?
A&M and Decca are both labels owned by Universal Music, so there would have been no contractual conflict whatsoever.

A&M and Decca are both labels owned by Universal Music, so there would have been no contractual conflict whatsoever.
Correct. Decca seems to be a label imprint that's more active in the UK. Both Herb and Sergio have had releases on Decca, but really it's all Universal.

1642799182429.png

1642798630522.png

So now my question is what versions are on Apple Music?
I don’t subscribe so I can’t listen to tell if there any differences other than the spatial audio.

Some people might like things like spatial audio. I've always found that kind of stuff "gimmicky", like the surround function on a boombox, or the old CD system called "Q-Sound". It's really just a trick with phasing and EQ.

Think about it. This is a solo piano album. How much "space" can one expect from a solo instrument?

Back
Top Bottom