Carpenters in Spatial Audio?

Kyle Thomas

Apple has begun pushing "spatial audio" lately -- their fancy word for Dolby Atmos, which gives a feel of 'surround sound' in my Bose headphones. I've listened to a few albums this way, including the 2021 mix of the Beatles' Let It Be and Ed Sheeran's latest release. It definitely brings out different elements of the mix.

I have a copy of the SACD from the Carpenters from 2004, but I've never actually heard it the way it was meant to be played. We've never splurged and gotten the appropriate equipment for it.

Are there any plans for having one of the Carpenters' compilations remixed for Dolby / spatial audio? It would seem the RPO release would be the easiest to convert, but I'm not an expert in these things...

I'd love to hear the Carpenters mixed for that 'high-quality headphones' experience, and I'm wondering if eventually they'll get the Dolby treatment too.

Apple has begun pushing "spatial audio" lately -- their fancy word for Dolby Atmos, which gives a feel of 'surround sound' in my Bose headphones. I've listened to a few albums this way, including the 2021 mix of the Beatles' Let It Be and Ed Sheeran's latest release. It definitely brings out different elements of the mix.

I have a copy of the SACD from the Carpenters from 2004, but I've never actually heard it the way it was meant to be played. We've never splurged and gotten the appropriate equipment for it.

Are there any plans for having one of the Carpenters' compilations remixed for Dolby / spatial audio? It would seem the RPO release would be the easiest to convert, but I'm not an expert in these things...

I'd love to hear the Carpenters mixed for that 'high-quality headphones' experience, and I'm wondering if eventually they'll get the Dolby treatment too.
The RPO album seems to have been mixed in 2.0 Dolby Surround. Whenever I put the CD on, I always switch my Yamaha receiver to Dolby Pro Logic II Music (and my Yamaha is receiving the digital audio from my PS3 by TOSLINK, and doing the digital-to-analog decode itself, not the PS3), and does the album ever open up. The LP should’ve been issued as a Quad LP, but even on that, the Surround element is still present.

I’m still surprised that back in 2015 when the “Christmas Memories” DVD was released, Richard didn’t remix the tracks on that DVD into DTS 5.1, or at least Dolby Digital 5.1 (or at the very least, push for the audio to have been encoded in uncompressed PCM), since he had to do stereo remixes of “Make Me Laugh”, “Christmas Alphabet”, “Oh Holy Night and the “Winter Wonderland/Silver Bells/White Christmas Medley”.

Back
Top Bottom