Favorite Opening Act

hubieg

Richard and Karen put on a phenomenal live show, as we know. But, for those who saw the duo live back in the day, who was your favorite opening act and where did you see them?

I found the comedy of Skiles & Henderson quite funny - if you were in the right, silly mood.

For a musical opening, I liked Randy Edelman.

George Gobel when I saw them in Chicago and the crowd was polite but pleased when his routine was finally over. Seals & Crofts or Mac Davis would have been a preferred choice. And did the Carpenters open for Bread and then Bread opened for them at a later date?

I found the comedy of Skiles & Henderson quite funny - if you were in the right, silly mood.

For a musical opening, I liked Randy Edelman.
Excellent choices, Harry! So, where did you catch Edelman and S&H opening for the Carpenters?

Randy Edelman opened for them at the Philadelphia Academy Of Music and Skiles & Henderson did openings for them at the Valley Forge Music Fair.

Edelman at the Academy of Music would have been April 21, 1972. He'd just released this album with "I Can't Make Music":

Skiles and Henderson opened for them in July of 73 and April of 75.

George Gobel when I saw them in Chicago and the crowd was polite but pleased when his routine was finally over. Seals & Crofts or Mac Davis would have been a preferred choice. And did the Carpenters open for Bread and then Bread opened for them at a later date?
According to the Fresno Bee, the Carpenters opened for Bread at the Selland Arena on Sep 11, 1970. Not sure if that order was ever reversed.

I believe it was Skiles and Henderson at the Sahara Tahoe winter 1976 and 1977. They became part of the oldies segment of the concert.

Did the Randy Edelman song "I Can't Make Music" inspired singer songwriter Eric Carmen to write "I Reach For The Light" by The Raspberries (from 1972 "Fresh")??

I didn't realize that GO'S opened for them. Seems like a great match.

In recent years, I have collected many of O'Sullivan's recordings on cd. I wonder if Richard ever considered recording any of the songs written by GO'S.
I, too, collected most of Gilbert O'Sullivan's CDs about ten years ago.

I like the whimsy in his music.

As a seven year old, during his main hit-making period, up until about eleven, Gilbert O'Sullivan was one of my favourite artists. I still liked him after that and got a greatest hits collection (on vinyl) in my twenties, but it wasn't until many years later that I collected all of his CDs.

Back
Top Bottom