⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
I have a question.
Why is it that the digital versions of the RPO songs sound better than my Japanese-pressed cd ? Anyone else feel that way ?
I must say, I enjoy listening to the RPO album in digital format, as its sound is superior to my cd !

I have to say the CD version was mastered very well considering how some newer cds suffer from loudness wars. I wanted the vinyl to top the Cd in sound quality but unfortunately it wasn’t meant to be. To be honest, I can’t tell much difference sound wise between the digital and the CD both are very very good.

I have a question.
Why is it that the digital versions of the RPO songs sound better than my Japanese-pressed cd ? Anyone else feel that way ?
I must say, I enjoy listening to the RPO album in digital format, as its sound is superior to my cd !
As far as anyone knows, all the CD versions are RPO Version 1.0, while the digital downloads are RPO Version 5.4.8.1.3 or whatever number.

Version 1.0 features a number of things that were still being fixed, so you still hear things like the 1969 mono piano on the opening to “Ticket To Ride” while on Version 5.4.8.1.3 that has been replaced with a 2018 stereo piano recording.

I listened to the version that is currently on Spotify in my car the other day and was surprised by all of the differences from the CD. Some good, some I don't care for as much.

I'm curious to check out the Amazon Music version and see what version it is... is there a quick way to verify if it's a "newer" version or not? Like some specific thing in a certain song?

I have a question.
I'm just beginning to believe this is true. I had a desire to listen to the RPO album today and I've got five different versions on my computer. I picked the one that I downloaded from Amazon as part of the purchase of the white vinyl version. I was almost blown away with the thunderous bass I was hearing and quickly compared these versions to the CDs and other downloaded versions. It seems like all of the downloaded versions have much more "oomph" in the bass. Not tons of difference, but noticeable.

By the way, what a joy this album is. I haven't given it a spin in ages.

I'm just beginning to believe this is true. I had a desire to listen to the RPO album today and I've got five different versions on my computer. I picked the one that I downloaded from Amazon as part of the purchase of the white vinyl version. I was almost blown away with the thunderous bass I was hearing and quickly compared these versions to the CDs and other downloaded versions. It seems like all of the downloaded versions have much more "oomph" in the bass. Not tons of difference, but noticeable.

By the way, what a joy this album is. I haven't given it a spin in ages.
The only version I downloaded was via Tidal.com. Would this be the same as what you have?

Who knows? I got this particular set of downloads as a bundle with the purchase of the vinyl through Amazon.

I agree that the digital download has the best sound and has a tad bit more bass than any of the CD’s and the LP's I own. I downloaded my digital from Universal when I ordered the vinyl they sent an email (I still have it) on Dec 07 2018 that I could download the digital version of the album and they provided the link.

The digital version of the album to me has more clarity, it is really evident on the track, This Masquerade. Remember the commercial, is it live or is it memorex? This song is so crystal clear, it rises above any version I’ve ever heard before and truly sounds like your in the studio listening. The bass seems a little punchier in spots comparing it to the CD’s. At the end when Richard comes in softly “and were lost...it is so much clearer than the CD version. I noticed that right away, jumped to the CD at that spot and the digital version pops.

I don’t know why the digital sounds better to me as I always thought it should be equal to the CD but in this case it’s definitely not.
I think there are many things that sound different about the digital download version.

Hearing all the minor changes with different downloads and updates, I thought it would be cool to do like a monthly membership idea, where every month a new song or arrangement is uploaded. It's 2022, anything can happen!! Obviously full orchestra not feasible but ya know. Kind of a cool idea. I guess YouTube already can do that but I still thought it would be neat.

I agree that the digital download has the best sound and has a tad bit more bass than any of the CD’s and the LP's I own. I downloaded my digital from Universal when I ordered the vinyl they sent an email (I still have it) on Dec 07 2018 that I could download the digital version of the album and they provided the link.

The digital version of the album to me has more clarity, it is really evident on the track, This Masquerade. Remember the commercial, is it live or is it memorex? This song is so crystal clear, it rises above any version I’ve ever heard before and truly sounds like your in the studio listening. The bass seems a little punchier in spots comparing it to the CD’s. At the end when Richard comes in softly “and were lost...it is so much clearer than the CD version. I noticed that right away, jumped to the CD at that spot and the digital version pops.

I don’t know why the digital sounds better to me as I always thought it should be equal to the CD but in this case it’s definitely not.
I think there are many things that sound different about the digital download version.

It's my understanding that Richard continued to tweak after the CD was done. That's why your download sounds better. I don't believe any physical has the absolutely updated sound. Only the digital download. Not even sure the hi res download is the latest.

Ed

I just compared the downloads from iTunes and Amazon Music. The Amazon version not only has more bass, it’s louder! I had to turn the volume up on the iTunes copy. It sounds more like the cd to me. Mine was free with the white vinyl purchase too.
i set my iPhone eq to off for comparison.

I just compared the downloads from iTunes and Amazon Music. The Amazon version not only has more bass, it’s louder! I had to turn the volume up on the iTunes copy. It sounds more like the cd to me. Mine was free with the white vinyl purchase too.
i set my iPhone eq to off for comparison.
I heard that there might be different versions of the iTunes download but the one I got also sounds just like the CD version. The one I downloaded from the Universal link when I purchased the vinyl sounds the best to me. It has slightly more bass and much more clarity and yes I agree it’s a tad louder/brighter to me.

I just wanted to jump in here and report something slightly left of field about this album. I recently bought a Bose Smart Soundbar 700 along with the Bass Module 700 and two matching rear surround speakers. The system as a whole packs an immense spatial punch, even on very old audio albums and movies and the digital audio separation is really impressive. I’ve played many new - and old - albums on this new system and marvelled at the distribution of the various individual tracks around the front and rear speakers.

One outstanding example is the 2019 Super Deluxe edition of the Beatles’ Abbey Road. The track “Because” is a marvel. You feel like you’re inside the vocal booth with the three vocalists, standing in the middle of them.

Within the first few days, my thoughts came back to the RPO album and I was intrigued as to what the audio technology would do to this album. I was so disappointed. Pretty much everything is front and centre. Where the audio separation does throw strings and the like to the rear speakers, it’s barely audible - just a few crumbs when it should have been a feast. A prime example of this is my absolute favourite from the collection, “I Just Fall In Love Again”. I expected it to be mesmerising, but Karen is still just swamped at the front by the choir and orchestration as the track builds to its climax. What on earth happened on the mastering and mixing of this album to make the audiophile experience so poor?

In its defence, there are other artists who suffer the same fate - Celine Dion being the main one and (surprisingly) even the Fleetwood Mac albums, including the magnificent live album The Dance.

Last edited:
I just purchased the target version on discogs. Paid i believe $20 for the purpose of acquiring the new mix of please mr postman. Does anyone know where else to get this mix?

Also side note if there was ever a part two of this album i think crescent noon would be a great cut. I personally like the song.

I just purchased the target version on discogs. Paid i believe $20 for the purpose of acquiring the new mix of please mr postman. Does anyone know where else to get this mix?

Also side note if there was ever a part two of this album i think crescent noon would be a great cut. I personally like the song.
I originally had the Target version with the "bonus" tract; unfortunately, I lost it (I think I incorrectly gifted the wrong CD to a friend); thus, I had to find another. And I did...from Japan. But I paid $45 total with shipping. So you got a "deal." I believe mine was through e-bay.

I originally had the Target version with the "bonus" tract; unfortunately, I lost it (I think I incorrectly gifted the wrong CD to a friend); thus, I had to find another. And I did...from Japan. But I paid $45 total with shipping. So you got a "deal." I believe mine was through e-bay.
I baught it used so it has been opened I'll ask if it's been played

Nothing concrete planned, but if you want a Dark Version, you can download an add-in for Chrome or Edge called "Dark Reader" that will pretty much turn every web-page to a Dark Theme. Here's the way the RPO album looks on Dark Reader plug-in:

Resource DarkReader.jpg

Back
Top Bottom