UK Only Yesterday (Yesterday Once More)VHS Cassette 1990

andywithaz

I thought you would all find the 1990 VHS tape of Yesterday Once More released in the UK as Only Yesterday. Also, interestingly enough, there is some German on the back of the cassette cover as well as the cassette itself. Was that due to West Germany?

Of course it’s in PAL and I’ve never been able to watch it. But I still appreciate that my mother bought it for me around 2004 as a present.

I thought you would all find the 1990 VHS tape of Yesterday Once More released in the UK as Only Yesterday. Also, interestingly enough, there is some German on the back of the cassette cover as well as the cassette itself. Was that due to West Germany?

Of course it’s in PAL and I’ve never been able to watch it. But I still appreciate that my mother bought it for me around 2004 as a present.
Back in 1990, East and West Germany were reunifying. And while East Germany used the SECAM for its broadcasts, the majority of TV’s and VCR’s sold at the time could play both SECAM & PAL, and if they were older and were SECAM only, they could still play PAL video, just in black and white only (or they were able to buy a decoder in both East & West Germany to decode the other formats Color signal). I’ve even played SECAM tapes on a PAL S-VHS VCR that I imported from the UK, and while I got no color, I was still able to watch the SECAM tape in black and white, since the only difference between PAL & SECAM is how the color was recorded/transmitted. (Here’s a sample of how the SECAM color could fail with interference or bad connections; sometimes during bad storms SECAM would only be in b&w. ). And on December 14, 1990, all East German stations discontinued SECAM broadcasts and switched to PAL broadcasts, just like West Germany.

So a PAL tape for either East or West Germany wouldn’t have been out of left field. Also if there were any SECAM tapes of Only Yesterday produced, they would’ve been made from PAL masters. Even at stations that broadcast SECAM, unless they were using U-Matic, all other formats like S-VHS & Betacam never came in SECAM variants, as it was easier to edit in PAL and then send the signal to a PAL-To-SECAM converter that would then broadcast the SECAM signal or send the SECAM signal to the VHS/Betamax/U-Matic recording VTR’s.

Back
Top Bottom