Question: Jerry Moss/Herb Alpert Comment - The Nations Favourite Carpenters Song?

I'm just starting to watch some of the Carpenters documentaries, etc..., on Youtube. In the UK "Nations Favourite Carpenters Song" video, Jerry Moss with Herb Alpert makes the comment: "I might just say that it's sad to say that when she passed away in 1983, (and Herb and I feel this way).... He really didn't know how great she was."

I was wondering who is the "He" that Moss is referring to? I'm inclined to think he's referring to Richard Carpenter, but of all the recent interviews I've seen with RC, he always speaks very highly of KC. Am I missing something here?

I'm just starting to watch some of the Carpenters documentaries, etc..., on Youtube. In the UK "Nations Favourite Carpenters Song" video, Jerry Moss with Herb Alpert makes the comment: "I might just say that it's sad to say that when she passed away in 1983, (and Herb and I feel this way).... He really didn't know how great she was."

I was wondering who is the "He" that Moss is referring to? I'm inclined to think he's referring to Richard Carpenter, but of all the recent interviews I've seen with RC, he always speaks very highly of KC. Am I missing something here?

Hi! I think you might have misheard that. Herb says, “..SHE didn’t know how great she was”, meaning Karen, herself.

Richard was Karen’s greatest supporter and fan from beginning to end, carrying her torch and shining it brightly to this day.

Last edited:
I've rerun it several times.... still sounds like "he" but "she" would definitely make more sense. Oh, so sad...

It’s “she”. What confused me on first viewing was Herb replied “yeah, she didn’t”, but it came across as “yeah she did”.

Just adding, yes, to me it sounds like "she" as well. I've seen that several times over the years and never heard it any other way.

Back
Top Bottom