Quad Version of Horizon LP

ringves

I recall reading that Richard was not pleased with the quad release of Now & Then. Apparently the Carpenters had no input into this re-mix, as they were on tour at the time the re-mix took place.

But what about the quad release of Horizon?

Did the Carpenters have any input with respect to the quad re-mix of their 1975 album? Or did A&M surprise them (again) by re-mixing this album while the Carpenters were on the road?

I recall reading that Richard was not pleased with the quad release of Now & Then. Apparently the Carpenters had no input into this re-mix, as they were on tour at the time the re-mix took place.

But what about the quad release of Horizon?

Did the Carpenters have any input with respect to the quad re-mix of their 1975 album? Or did A&M surprise them (again) by re-mixing this album while the Carpenters were on the road?

I'm not sure any quad release by any artist was approved by the artist. None of the Carpenters' ones were approved by Karen or Richard.

Ed

None, unfortunately. You hear all kinds of things going on with the quad that were never intended to be left in the mix. One example comes to mind with Desperado, which uses a completely different piano take all together—a bit more relaxed and less attack in the performance in contrast with the official album mix.

After hearing about the C's displeasure with the Now & Then quad release, it's surprising that A&M then proceeded to do the same thing with "Horizon".

When Weintraub re-negotiated their recording contract in 1976, did he not insist on R&K getting release approval - or something to that effect. Perhaps that new requirement in their 2nd recording contract was related to their bad experience with the quad releases.

None, unfortunately. You hear all kinds of things going on with the quad that were never intended to be left in the mix. One example comes to mind with Desperado, which uses a completely different piano take all together—a bit more relaxed and less attack in the performance in contrast with the official album mix.
How about the CD-4s released in Japan? Were they also released without Richard and Karen's approvals?

I have two of these. But I've never played them. Not sure what you are suppose to play them on. I read where one person said that you could play them on a regular turntable, but another said that would damage the record.

If you have a high end cartridge it’s okay. I’ve played mine on all kinds unfortunately. I have a shibata tipped stylus now. It’s supposed to be the best for quad reproduction. It gets deeper into the groove for best sound. Opinions vary on the quad albums. I have The Singles and Now & Then on both formats. SQ and CD-4 from Japan. Horizon was CD-4 only here and there. The CD-4 are supposed to be more of a true surround sound. The CD-4 albums are mixed a bit differently from the SQ versions as well. My favorite is the SQ Now & Then. It will blow you away just experiencing the different mixes. Parts are added, parts are missing. I understand why Richard doesn’t like them. The best of all songs is Jambalaya. It’s truly amazing when they get to the chorus. Karens in every speaker. The more channels, and surround modes you have on your amp the better, in my experience. I like the extra Yee-haw at the end. I say go for it if you have a decent stylus. Quad systems are expensive to buy, and good luck finding a working cartridge. I read on the Quad site about the Shibata stylus. It was very expensive to purchase. If you’re worried, I say save one for your collection, and play one for now. Only Yesterday, and Postman are great. ICBGAILY is beautiful. Enjoy them.

The Quads you can play on any record player. If you’re playing a SQ disc through a 2.0 Surround system or higher (5.1, 7.1) all you need to do is switch your system to surround mode, and it’ll decode the surround info like it would for a 2.0 Dolby Surround soundtrack on a movie or audio CD.

The Quads you can play on any record player. If you’re playing a SQ disc through a 2.0 Surround system or higher (5.1, 7.1) all you need to do is switch your system to surround mode, and it’ll decode the surround info like it would for a 2.0 Dolby Surround soundtrack on a movie or audio CD.

Agreed. Any decent stylus can handle Quad records. The sound is a little funky when you're playing them back as 2-channel. I own a Donny Hathaway Quad and it is interesting but the sound is off. The bass doesn't translate properly so it sounds a bit cavernous. It might just be that record; not sure. You will get alternate vocals sometimes and different instrumental "takes" because the artist wasn't involved and the engineers are making different choices so it's interesting for that. I don't have a Quad system myself so I've only ever heard the 2-channel version.

Ed

Thanks GDBY2LV, tomswift2002 and Vinylalbumcovers for the information. I do have Now & Then and The Singles on Quad discs. I think I may have a copy of Stoney End by Barbra Streisand too. I remember when they appeared in the record store, I debated whether to buy them. But I figured this was the stereo system of tomorrow and I figured if I didn't buy them I'd be sorry later because they wouldn't be available anymore. But the quad vinyl didn't last long in the stores and the funny thing is I didn't even notice they were gone. I really didn't even think of them again until I read this thread.

As I remember, Columbia records seemed to promote the format. For a while one side of their inner sleeves on their albums was devoted to educating us about quad.

The only Quad disc I have is Songs of the Seventies by the Sound of the 70’s Orchestra on the Realistic (Radio Shack) label. (Didn’t know that Radio Shack had a record label.). And there is quite the difference when I switch between standard stereo and surround stereo playback. And the disc I picked up at a pawn shop for like 25 cents so it’s also full of all the usually clicks and pops from a pawn shop find.

Back
Top Bottom