Bob Edmondson and the Tijuana Brass

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
While driving to work today I was blasting the TJB Christmas album, specifically the song "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow," and it struck me how much presence Bob Edmondson (trombone) has on this track. Herb only carries the melody for one verse and one line of another -- beyond that, he only plays the occasional "fill" in a couple spots. It's really Edmondson's showcase tune.

It made me think of other songs on which Bob plays a major part -- there's "Monday Monday," which would be a very dull arrangement without his presence. Another favorite of mine is "Town Without Pity," which has a killer 'bone solo. And there's the whole "Brasilia" situation, where the absence of just four trombone notes on the CD versions render the whole arrangement inadequate to some of us listeners. The song "Jingle Bell Rock" on the Christmas album also has a good bit of trombone in it.

Any other songs with a particularly strong trombone presence? Name your faves.

"Cabaret" with Bob double-tracked or (unlikely) playing with an accompanist...

"Fox Hunt" is another, that builds on the addition of band member as as it proceeds. First verse is Herb only then we get Julius and Bob added on subsequent verses. Until you "memorize" the first verse, it's almost undetectable when Herb passes the melody to Bob on later verses. The lowest trumpet notes and the highest trombone notes blend almost seamlessly!

--Mr Bill

"Vento Bravo" has some horn ensemble work. There are other songs with Bob playing in unison with the others but for some reason, it was the first thing that came to mind aside from the other songs listed here.

Lollipops and Roses Has a Heavy trombone presence ( Herb's version) im assuming Bob Edmondson is playing on the Whipped cream album as a Session player as there was no official group until Going places. I'll also mention A Taste Of Honey and on the aforementioned Going places on Spanish flea and on What Now My Love Bob almost dominates on "It was A Very Good Year". There are several trombone heavy moments I don't even think I've scratched the surface.

When I saw the TJB on television back in the day I always enjoyed watching Bob. He did some of the little humorous bits and seemed like he would be a really nice guy to meet.

There's some great trombone work on "Wade In The Water", particularly evident on this alternate mix on a promo stereo single. Check it out with headphones and hear Bob's trombone more isolated in the left channel.

I really like Bob's solo on The Brass' version of "The Shadow Of Your Smile" and also on "Jingle Bell Rock". Did he also play the trombone on "A Taste Of Honey" as well? I wonder if it's him or someone else because from what I understand, there was no "official" Brass until after the "Whipped Cream And Other Delights" album came out.

I really like Bob's solo on The Brass' version of "The Shadow Of Your Smile" and also on "Jingle Bell Rock". Did he also play the trombone on "A Taste Of Honey" as well? I wonder if it's him or someone else because from what I understand, there was no "official" Brass until after the "Whipped Cream And Other Delights" album came out.
Before the Internet, most of us assumed that Bob played all the trombone, Tonni Kalash played all the second trumpet parts, etc. Now that we know better, it's always a challenge to pick out who might be on those earlier albums.

Bob's trombone playing is excellent on the Royal Festival Hall concert that Herb & the TJB did on the last tour in November 1969. The show was filmed by British ITV and showed on New Year's eve that year. Herb's trumpet playing may not always be on top, but Bob sounds good all the way. The introduction to "Getting Sentimental.." is really great.

- greetings from the cold and snowy north -
Martin

Mr. Edmondson made distinctive contributions to the TJB version of the Beach Boys' "Darlin'" and one of my favorite Brass records, the Julius Wechter tune, "Shades of Blue."

Charles

While driving to work today I was blasting the TJB Christmas album, specifically the song "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow," and it struck me how much presence Bob Edmondson (trombone) has on this track. Herb only carries the melody for one verse and one line of another -- beyond that, he only plays the occasional "fill" in a couple spots. It's really Edmondson's showcase tune.

It made me think of other songs on which Bob plays a major part -- there's "Monday Monday," which would be a very dull arrangement without his presence. Another favorite of mine is "Town Without Pity," which has a killer 'bone solo. And there's the whole "Brasilia" situation, where the absence of just four trombone notes on the CD versions render the whole arrangement inadequate to some of us listeners. The song "Jingle Bell Rock" on the Christmas album also has a good bit of trombone in it.

Any other songs with a particularly strong trombone presence? Name your faves.
The Main Event, of course, features the late Jonas Gwangwa, the reknown South African trombonist. This album, of course, is not a TJB album.

Back
Top Bottom