The Dot Records Thread

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
NDg1NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Then there's Butler. His LP of cheesy instrumental pop is probably the worst CTi ever issued. Imagine if all CTi LPs were like this.)
I don't have to. That's what Dot Records is for. :laugh:

(Forgive me, Harry..)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have to. That's what Dot Records is for. :laugh:

(Forgive me, Harry..)
(Indeed, me too, Harry.)

...or Ranwood.
Man, you just don't let up on this Dot business... I checked my holdings -- other than some Steve Allen, there ain't much: LPs by Lyn Roman and Roy Clark and, of course, Neal Hefti's The Odd Couple s/t. Zilch on Ranwood (though I did buy one of Lawrence Welk's Ranwoods when I was 14...probably the only teenager in Southern California buying Lawrence Welk LPs in 1979.)

Man, you just don't let up on this Dot business... I checked my holdings -- other than some Steve Allen, there ain't much: LPs by Lyn Roman and Roy Clark and, of course, Neal Hefti's The Odd Couple s/t. Zilch on Ranwood (though I did buy one of Lawrence Welk's Ranwoods when I was 14...probably the only teenager in Southern California buying Lawrence Welk LPs in 1979.)
It's purely personal.

About the time I started really getting into records (age 12-ish), we went to visit an aunt and uncle (actually, I think it was my Mom's aunt and uncle---never got that straight) in Whittier. This is 1968---they've gotta be 85 then, so they were born in, what---1883? Oldest people on the planet to me at that time. My grandmother was 78 then (actually, I think the uncle was my grandmother's brother, so yeah---my mom's uncle, my great-uncle).

Anyway, the grownup talk is boring, but they have a record player! And it sits atop an open cabinet with maybe 50 albums. So I ask if I can look at their records, and they say sure.

I kid you not----EVERY SINGLE ALBUM in that collection was on Dot. And it was the squarest stuff imaginable---even for 85 year olds.

Next visit to L.A., maybe six weeks later, I'm in a record store and I see Michael Nesmith's name on an album. I pull it out of the bin---THE WICHITA TRAIN WHISTLE SINGS. I flip it over---it's on Dot.

I shudder and put it back.

That's how deep the trauma was. If it had been on Colgems, I'd have probably risked the $2.89.

Last edited:
It's purely personal.

About the time I started really getting into records (age 12-ish), we went to visit an aunt and uncle (actually, I think it was my Mom's aunt and uncle---never got that straight) in Whittier. This is 1968---they've gotta be 85 then, so they were born in, what---1883? Oldest people on the planet to me at that time. My grandmother was 78 then (actually, I think the uncle was my grandmother's brother, so yeah---my mom's uncle, my great-uncle).

Anyway, the grownup talk is boring, but they have a record player! And it sits atop an open cabinet with maybe 50 albums. So I ask if I can look at their records, and they say sure.

I kid you not----EVERY SINGLE ALBUM in that collection was on Dot. And it was the squarest stuff imaginable---even for 85 year olds.

Next visit to L.A., maybe six weeks later, I'm in a record store and I see Michael Nesmith's name on an album. I pull it out of the bin---THE WICHITA TRAIN WHISTLE SINGS. I flip it over---it's on Dot.

I shudder and put it back.

That's how deep the trauma was. If it had been on Colgems, I'd have probably risked the $2.89.
I don't know whether to react with "great story" or "amazing" -- but either way, this was a swell anecdote.

My parents had a few Billy (the chameleon) Vaughn LPs. (Man, that guy had no sound -- aside from that twin alto business...he just copped the latest sound and rebranded it as one of his rekkids.)

What! No Billy Vaughn? Oh, he's probably ¼ of the other side. Of the lot, I'd give Harry James a spin. Who is Barry Young? Never heard of him.

Who is Barry Young? Never heard of him.
Barry Young had a #1 country record and peaked at #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 with the title track of that album---"One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart)." Very likely because it was a massive ripoff of Dean Martin's mid-60s style:

Tragically, we'll never know if Barry could have evolved---he died of a brain abscess the following year at age 35.

And obviously There are a couple Lawrence Welk Lps and one Jo ann castle and of course The Lennon sisters for Good measure they were Regulars on his show at the time. I wonder if Myron Floren was on the other side of the sleeve?

I mean, my life wouldn't be complete until I heard a record by the Six Fat Dutchmen.
Hey, I've got one of those. It's Polka time!😬

it was a massive ripoff of Dean Martin's mid-60s style
Oh, good grief! Totally. Right from the start with that triplet undercurrent that seem to plague EVERY Martin arrangement, 1964-66. Major ripoff. He even tries to vocalizes with Dean's uber-loose articulation (including Dean's penchant for slurring adjacent words together).

As a kid I had Billy Vaughn's "A Swingin' Safari" because I couldn't find Bert Kaemfert's original.
I also grew up with Billy's rip of this wonderful piece (I didn't know anything about Kaempfert until well into adulthood).

I wonder if Myron Floren was on the other side
Probably. He was one of the real reasons to catch Welk. Myron was excellent but, I really liked watching Neil Levang on electric guitar! Man, was he Mr. Smooooth or what!

Last edited:
Since the Dot thread has been so popular, I've split it off into its own. And with so much speculation about the "other" side of the innersleeve, here it is!

DotInnersleeve2.jpg

The first Dot Records 45 single that I saw when I was a baby (wasn't born until 1965) that my late parents bought was Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs "Sugar Shack" & the B side "My Heart Is Free" in 1963. My late mom also bought the 8 track of the late "Hee Haw" Roy Clark "The Incredible Roy Clark" (from 1971) in early 1972 on 8 track tape BUT it was a different company (printed in white with black letters) because my late dad liked his music!!

Since the Dot thread has been so popular, I've split it off into its own. And with so much speculation about the "other" side of the innersleeve, here it is!

DotInnersleeve2.jpg
Harry, can I borrow a dime...

...and a piece of tape...

...for that full color catalogue of almost 600 Dot LPs?

DotInnersleeve2.jpg

What if, when MCA acquired the label, they'd given it one last try at relevance?

THE LENNON SISTERS' NEW FAVORITES * Brass in Pocket (I'm Special). * Whip It * Turning Japanese * I Know What Boys Like; and others.

Oh, good grief! Totally. Right from the start with that triplet undercurrent that seem to plague EVERY Martin arrangement, 1964-66. Major ripoff. He even tries to vocalizes with Dean's uber-loose articulation (including Dean's penchant for slurring adjacent words together).
I guess upon seeing what a big hit "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime" became a hit, it was either Dean Martin's manager, producer, arranger, or perhaps a label exec, decided that it would be a good idea to "triplet all the things." And that's how it became a fad. (It was covered in the Stan Cornyn book "Exploding!" which is one of the more in-depth and hilarious anecdotes of the Warner Brothers record labels.)

The slurred words probably went along with Dino's shtick of acting drunk, such as showing up on Carson's stage with a cocktail in one hand (which actually was apple juice).

I guess upon seeing what a big hit "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime" became a hit, it was either Dean Martin's manager, producer, arranger, or perhaps a label exec, decided that it would be a good idea to "triplet all the things." And that's how it became a fad. (It was covered in the Stan Cornyn book "Exploding!" which is one of the more in-depth and hilarious anecdotes of the Warner Brothers record labels.)

The slurred words probably went along with Dino's shtick of acting drunk, such as showing up on Carson's stage with a cocktail in one hand (which actually was apple juice).
"Exploding" is one of the best books I've read of any genre.

(PS: The producer was Jimmy Bowen, who had to explain to Dean..."Them's triplets.")

Last edited:
(PS: The producer was Jimmy Bowen, who had to explain to Dean..."Them's triplets.")
That's it! 🤣

I've read that book a few times. Always a good read! In fact, I think it might have been your recommendation that prompted me to buy it, all those years ago...

That's it! 🤣

I've read that book a few times. Always a good read! In fact, I think it might have been your recommendation that prompted me to buy it, all those years ago...
I’ve told anyone who’ll listen. A full book from the guy who made the liner notes to the Sinatra and Jobim album a novel? Sold!

Back
Top Bottom