Drummer Jim Gordon Dies, 77

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongAgo

Wrecking Crew drummer Jim Gordon died in prision medical facility today in Vacaville, CA. He was 77. Mr. Gordon toured as CARPENTERS backup drummer for Karen in the early 70s before Cubby O'Brien joined the group. He was the primary drummer on CARPENTERS "Horizon" and "A Kind of Hush" albums. Mr. Gordon could also be seen slipping behind the drum kit on the 1971 BBC Special, 72-74 Live On Stage.

He was diagnosed with schizophrenia after murdering his mother in 1983 and then sent to prison where he died.

One of the A&M albums with a heavy reliance on Jim Gordon is likely Renee Armand's RAIN BOOK. Jim played drums on nine of the ten tracks, also played some guitar here and there, and produced the album.
MC0zOTY2LmpwZWc.jpeg
MS05NTczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Wrecking Crew drummer Jim Gordon died in prision medical facility today in Vacaville, CA. He was 77. Mr. Gordon toured as CARPENTERS backup drummer for Karen in the early 70s before Cubby O'Brien joined the group. He was the primary drummer on CARPENTERS "Horizon" and "A Kind of Hush" albums. Mr. Gordon could also be seen slipping behind the drum kit on the 1971 BBC Special, 72-74 Live On Stage.

He was diagnosed with schizophrenia after murdering his mother in 1983 and then sent to prison where he died.
Actually, you’re thinking of Jim Squeglia. Gordon only worked with them in the studio from around early’75 to late-‘76.

It appears that James Anthony Squeglia passed away on February 28, 2019 in Connecticut. Wonder why his accounts of the Carpenters early days (1970-71) were never included the numerous books and documentaries. Maybe the disappearance from his job as the Carpenters backing tour drummer where Richard was forced to let him go had something to do with it? That leaves only Gary Sims and Dan Woodhams that are still with us from the original core.

Besides the Carpenters, he’ll also be remembered for playing drums on what is probably considered one of rock music’s masterpieces and Top 3 albums—-Pet Sounds.

Besides the Carpenters, he’ll also be remembered for playing drums on what is probably considered one of rock music’s masterpieces and Top 3 albums—-Pet Sounds.

I don't mean to be that guy but music isn't how he'll be remembered; he'll be remembered for the heinous crime he committed against his mother and his schizophrenia. When one does something that ghastly, it supersedes everything else.

Ed

I don't mean to be that guy but music isn't how he'll be remembered; he'll be remembered for the heinous crime he committed against his mother and his schizophrenia. When one does something that ghastly, it supersedes everything else.

Ed
I never even heard that he’d been in jail until yesterday. Of course he was in jail before I was born. So I think he’ll be remembered for his music with his jail time as a footnote.

I never even heard that he’d been in jail until yesterday. Of course he was in jail before I was born. So I think he’ll be remembered for his music with his jail time as a footnote.

Social networking is telling quite a different story than the one you're telling. His misdeeds are quite well-known and that's what's coming to people's minds about him. That's exactly how it should be. Nothing Jim did as a musician matters anymore. He ended a life...so his entitlement to be remembered for anything else ended too when he made that decision. I understand Schizophrenia better than I wish to but the fact remains: he killed someone.

Ed

Jim also took credit for the instrumental half of Derek and the Dominos' "Layla". Rita Coolidge later revealed that she had written it and Jim (who was her boyfriend at the time) used it without her permission. Because they had since broken up she also never saw any of the proceeds when "Layla", two years after its release, became a hit.

Social networking is telling quite a different story than the one you're telling. His misdeeds are quite well-known and that's what's coming to people's minds about him. That's exactly how it should be. Nothing Jim did as a musician matters anymore. He ended a life...so his entitlement to be remembered for anything else ended too when he made that decision. I understand Schizophrenia better than I wish to but the fact remains: he killed someone.

Ed
Maybe for you seniors. But for the younger crowd, it’ll be a footnote.

Now tell us about Phil Spector.

As awful as Spector’s crime was, he’s in a different league to Jim Gordon. One was a talented drummer, the other was a supremely gifted genius who created the wall of sound. Artists like ABBA credit him with the inspiration for the sound they later created, recording two guitars, two drummers, and so on, to build up that magnificent sound that led on to what we heard from many other artists and which made his records stand out on AM radio. I absolutely adore the music he created with The Crystals and The Ronettes and those original vinyl singles have pride of place in my jukebox.

As awful as Spector’s crime was, he’s in a different league to Jim Gordon. One was a talented drummer, the other was a supremely gifted genius who created the wall of sound. Artists like ABBA credit him with the inspiration for the sound they later created, recording two guitars, two drummers, and so on, to build up that magnificent sound that led on to what we heard from many other artists and which made his records stand out on AM radio. I absolutely adore the music he created with The Crystals and The Ronettes and those original vinyl singles have pride of place in my jukebox.
Yeah, but both still killed people and despite tomswift2002's condescending post, that's not gonna be forgotten.

My take on Spector is that "Black Pearl" could be used as evidence before Saint Peter that he was once capable of creating something transcendantly beautiful and uplifting. But I doubt that'd tip the scales.

Yeah, but both still killed people and despite tomswift2002's condescending post, that's not gonna be forgotten.

My take on Spector is that "Black Pearl" could be used as evidence before Saint Peter that he was once capable of creating something transcendantly beautiful and uplifting. But I doubt that'd tip the scales.
And both crimes are mere footnotes to their musical legacy. Both of their musical legacies will outlive their crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom