🎵 AotW AOTW: Herb Alpert - JUST YOU AND ME (SP-4591)

What Is Your Favorite Song?

• Promenade

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Musique

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Just You And Me

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Grandpa Lou

• Aria

• Yankee Doodle

• Spanish Nights

• One Night Lover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Lady Needs Romance

• The Day Will Come

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
For fun, here's a typical old thread from 2004 that ponders the fate of Herb's music on CD:

Funny that I wrote this back then:

It's not so much the releasing of remasters themselves...I'd just like to see them done properly. IF these reissues ever happen, they need to be done right, to last a couple decades or more.

It would take until @badazz got involved with helping Herb catalog and go through all of those old tapes, then have Bernie remaster them, before we'd get them done properly! Are the current recordings perfect? No! But they don't need to be. They're preserved for us as-is, just as they were recorded. And that's all I really wanted to happen back in 2004. Apart from a couple of missing titles, just about all of his catalog is still available, and even the missing titles can be found in used condition. The later CDs that did not get reissued yet still sound plenty good enough as-is. 👍

Funny that I wrote this back then:

It would take until @badazz got involved with helping Herb catalog and go through all of those old tapes, then have Bernie remaster them, before we'd get them done properly! Are the current recordings perfect? No! But they don't need to be. They're preserved for us as-is, just as they were recorded. And that's all I really wanted to happen back in 2004. Apart from a couple of missing titles, just about all of his catalog is still available, and even the missing titles can be found in used condition. The later CDs that did not get reissued yet still sound plenty good enough as-is. 👍
I couldn't Agree more.

Definitive Hits actually charted in Norway on the official pop album chart. Probably due to a TV commercial that showed very "clean" glimpses from the old TJB TV specials.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

I'm not sure how it charted here in the US overall, but I know that over the years since it was released, it has been the second best TJB seller on Amazon for me, with only Whipped Cream topping it.

Anyone wanting a boot copy of JYAM, go to MusicStack.com and there is one CD, unauthorized and made by the notorius Omega Records of way south of the border. Gotta be a needle drop of questionable quality.

I am aiming to redo my needle drop soon, given another large upgrade to the vinyl rig. I might even do a comparison between phono stages--one is tube-driven, the other is IC-based--and choose the more favorable of the two from that.

Besides "Just You And Me", also "Wild Romance" (1985), "Under A Spanish Moon" (1988), "My Abstract Heart" (1989), "Whipped Cream: Rewhipped Mixes" (2006), "Anything Goes" (with Lani Hall) (2009) & "I Feel You" (with Lani Hall) (2011) are indeed missing from Apple iTunes but the rest of Herb's catalog is there!!

Besides "Just You And Me", also "Wild Romance" (1985), "Under A Spanish Moon" (1988), "My Abstract Heart" (1989), "Whipped Cream: Rewhipped Mixes" (2006), "Anything Goes" (with Lani Hall) (2009) & "I Feel You" (with Lani Hall) (2011) are indeed missing from Apple iTunes but the rest of Herb's catalog is there!!
...and I wish they'd add them all---but especially the albums with Lani. Those were available for way too short a window.

...and I wish they'd add them all---but especially the albums with Lani. Those were available for way too short a window.
The only one I'm missing out of this digitally is "Just you and me" yet I still have it on vinyl long ago needledropped to CD and ripped into my devices however if a authorized Digital CD ever gets released I would definitely buy one but as I mentioned I'm not holding my breath but I agree they were only available for such a very short period that's why when a new release comes out I don't like to waste time. You just never know

I've had a chance to listen to this record again now that I've added other upgrades to the vinyl playback.

One thing I'm noticing is that this album has a somewhat muffled quality to it. I bought a sealed new old stock copy last year, while I also own a near mint promo pressing that I've had for, what, 25 years or so? The promo copy has the edge in detail, as expected, as these are normally earliest in the production run so that copies can get out to radio and retail for, you know, promotional purposes. 😁 The sealed copy might be slightly cleaner, but at least I know it is not worn at all. The promo copy is still a nice player, though, and I've never noticed any wear on it either.

My original copy from the first few weeks of release? Yeah...that one's pretty much a goner. 😁

My two copies are a white label promo I've had for years and a stock Monarch pressing. Some of the slower tracks without much percussion have a bit of a muffled sound, but things like "Promenade" sound nice and bright to me.

Just confirming what I have with Discogs, it appears something's not the same about the Monarch pressing pictured versus what I have. This is the label of the Monarch pressing pictured on Discogs:
OTItNTAxMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Notice the bunching together of the catalog, credits and copyrights below the song titles.

Now, here's my Monarch copy:
scan0024.jpg

Notice the more relaxed spacing of the info below the track listing.
I'm wondering if the original uploader of that Discogs image actually got the right picture.

That's interesting!

My promo has the first label above. And it has (MR) in the runout area. That indicates a Monarch pressing?

My stock copy has the second label, and no (MR). Nothing other than the catalog/matrix, although I didn't look at the exact lettering yet to see if an "MR" or "MON" was scribed next to it. I'll grab them again shortly to see exactly what I have.

Last edited:
My promo copy has the wider spacing of above on a white label. And it has in the runout:

A&M SP4917-P4
A&M SP4918-P2

My stock copy has wider spacing as above and the following runouts:

A&M SP4917-M2-REPL (MR) Δ20793
A&M SP4918-P1

That b-side of the stock has no delta or circle MR, but it has a very left-leaning T followed by a more upright T just before the etched A&M in the runout. Meanwhile in another part of that same b-side runout, there's what looks like a stamped "D" and an etched "2".

I would think that if one side of an album is pressed by Monarch, wouldn't the other side HAVE to be?

My copy is similar except the A&M lettering ( not the logo but the huge part) colored more like a yellow gold instead of the tan as seen in the photos I wonder if it was an early pressing or a later run I checked mine on side a it has SP 4917 M2 REPL AND 20793 With a triangle side b has SP 4913 M3 EX And it appears to have the M denoting a monarch pressing and even more interesting the radio station I work at appears to have a stock copy and the A&M lettering in even brighter gold like setting this seems to have had several different pressing runs in my opinion

Last edited:
My copy is similar except the A&M lettering ( not the logo but the huge part) colored more like a yellow gold instead of the tan as seen in the photos I wonder if it was an early pressing or a later run I checked mine on side a it has SP 4917 M2 REPL AND 20793 With a triangle side b has SP 4913 M3 EX
Correction the B side is actually SP 4918 my eye sight is deceiving me in my middle age

Back
Top Bottom