Karen/John Barry

PTW

I wonder if anyone on the forum can help me with this query.
As a long-time biographer of film composer, John Barry, much speculation has ensued over the years concerning whether or not Karen was ever lined up to sing Barry's song written specifically for the 1974 Gregory Peck-produced film, The Dove, in 1974, entitled 'Sail The Summer Winds'. I have never been able to get to the bottom of this. Rumour and conjecture has persisted to the point whereby various sources have suggested that Barry and Karen actually met to discuss the idea; that she was very keen to work with him as a result. However, the collaboration would ultimately fall through with Barry having to recruit Lyn Paul (of The New Seekers) to record the song instead.
Can anyone amongst the group definitively confirm or refute these claims? (or at least point me in any direction, which might help me resolve the matter).
Thank you.
PTW

It’s news to me. There are many long time Carpenters experts, enthusiasts and even one or two authors on this forum and I’ve never heard or read this rumour in any source I’ve come across. The only person who might be able to get you a definitive answer from Richard Carpenter himself is @Chris May.

It’s news to me. There are many long time Carpenters experts, enthusiasts and even one or two authors on this forum and I’ve never heard or read this rumour in any source I’ve come across. The only person who might be able to get you a definitive answer from Richard Carpenter himself is @Chris May.
Thanks for responding and for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom