A&M Corner history

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll throw in my earliest memories.

It was 1997, maybe April. I was an AOL subscriber at the time, and wasn't too sure about what good it was or what an Internet was. I recall doing a search using a search engine called webcrawler.com and looking up info on Herb Alpert.

The search engine pointed me to a Rudy's Corner site, but for some reason the primitive browser couldn't load the page or something, because I don't recall connecting at all.

Later on, on August 27th, (Hey! Seven years to the day almost!) I was playing around with the AOL some more, once again searching for Herb Alpert and this time the 'Rudy's Corner' site came up.

I was fascinated to find a 'nest' of like-minded fans who actually knew who Herb Alpert and Sergio Mendes were. I signed the Fan Contact page which was like a guestbook, and sent an email to this Rudy guy proclaiming that I had some of the Sergio Mendes stuff he appeared to be looking for.

The email came back with an automated "Gone Fishing" reply, and I didn't think too much more about it for a couple of weeks until this Rudy guy actually did respond!

Though the old Forum was set-up, I still felt a bit shy about adding my two cents to it. These guys really knew their stuff. I learned from Mike Blakesley about a Sergio Mendes 2-disc compilation that had just come out in the UK, and that there was a Thoughtscape Sounds website where I could order it along with Japanese imports of many of the Mendes albums.

The discussions were very interesting reading as each of the early members began sharing notes on all things A&M. Steve Sidoruk, Bill Gowdy, Mike Blakesley, Tim Yee, Dennis Daniels, Bob Papp, Paula Worhatch, Trent Sprenkle, Jim Brent and a host of others were joining up seemingly daily as topics turned to the Baja Marimba Band, Lani Hall, Carpenters, and posts about albums I never knew existed like SERGIO MENDES PRESENTS EDU LOBO and ROGER NICHOLS AND THE SMALL CIRCLE OF FRIENDS.

Later on, new regulars like Wendell Johnson and Bill Bernardi chimed in and our wonderful discussions continued.

The board was a lot different in those days - just one forum with a simple threaded interface. There was no editing or smileys or even italics, just straight text. But I learned so much, and continue to value and use that knowledge to this day.

So as I prepare to enter my eighth year on tomorrow's anniversary date - I'll be away, so if you're looking for me - I've "Gone Fishing."

Harry
...over and out, online...

I think I must have joined the Corner just before Harry. I remember reading the very first post by Neil (in an archive) which was titled "Launch this sucker!"

The first thing I did on the Corner website was read the Herb Alpert & TJB discography, followed quickly by the Mendes one. I was a little upset that Neil had given a lukewarm review to STILLNESS, my favorite Mendes album...so after a while, he allowed me to submit my own review which is still there today.

This board is like a whole 'nother group of friends, which is very cool. Like Harry, I've learned an awful lot here and gained a better appreciation for a lot of music that I'd heard, but hadn't really understood. Before the Corner, the earlier Sergio Mendes albums like EQUINOX were boring to me, but after learning about the production, the singers, the band and bossa nova in general by reading the Corner, those records are right up there with STILLNESS on my favorites list.

Harry said:
The email came back with an automated "Gone Fishing" reply, and I didn't think too much more about it for a couple of weeks until this Rudy guy actually did respond!

OK, think back...does anyone remember what happened toward the end of August in 1997?

I remember that week. We had just driven to Cleveland to pick up the Honda CR-V early in August. The week before Labor Day, we'd driven to Minneapolis and spend some time at the Mall of Americas. (It's an 11 hour drive.) On the day after we got back, I was slagging through about 400 e-mail messages (and I believe that it was only one of the few times I ever used a "vacation" autoresponder on my e-mail), and came across a news item that Princess Diana had gotten in that fatal limo accident. Needless to say, as I caught up with my computer tasks in the basement, the TV was on upstairs all day long.

Wow! A great stroll down memory lane! Has it been SEVEN YEARS?!?!?!?? I signed up around the same time myself. I've gone through the archive thingy Richard mentions, but the original "guestbook" is not among the archived files so I can't pinpoint the day I signed up. But I seem to recall my email went unanswered for a couple days so it may have been while Neil was on his vacation. I know I was a Reservist then working at GTE mainStreet Interactive TV in Santa Monica, commuting through hell from San Diego then! But what a great job that was...

Finding other people with the same appreciation for A&M music has been the greatest reward. LPJim and I hit it off right away with our obsession over numbers. Reaquainting myself with Steve Sidoruk and Lelsie Pfenninger, was a pleasing surprise -- we'd been regulars in a very small TJB/A&M group on the old Prodigy service before Sears messed it all up. Helping other fans (like the fellow whose name escapes me at the moment and his Chris Montez site) with their A&M-related sites is also rewarding. And of course, teaching myself html and learning website management from Neil (aka "Rudy") led me to the creation of my own IRS Corner, the new traitor site and a couple more I'll unleash before Halloween.

Meeting new fans as they join -- Juan Oscar (and his fabulous music), Jon Brasil Nut, Steve Gross and others -- is always a pleasure. And meeting them in person is always a blast. As one of the first to hold "A&M Corner get-togethers" I have to say it's always a challenge to identify the A&M fan. First time we did it we met at a Carl's Junior conveniently located for myself, Stefan and Richard. We stood there for what must've been 5 minutes looking at each other and other people before we felt comfortable enough to approach (I guess we'd be very embarrassed of we were wrong?) And then you try to figure out which is which based on assumptions made from what you know online. I thought Richard was Stefan and Stefan was Richard! I guess that's what you get for judging a book by its cover! Of course, the "granddad of all get-togethers" had to be the Julius Wechter tribute. Wow!

I often wonder what happened to a lot of the older regulars... Glad Trent popped back in recently. Wendell is gone, sadly. Stefan Daystrom has vanished, it seems. Richard Derrick sent me an email a couple weeks ago (hasn't posted because he hasn't had anything to say, he says, but he does peruse the forum regularly). Paula and BJ rarely post... I miss their opinions, because they often saw albums and tunes in ways I hadn't considered -- we all like hearing things in a new light! Dennis Daniels, Tim Yee, David Twogood... lots more aren't around as much as they should be...

The final reward (mainly in regards to my IRS site but I'd assume "Rudy" gets the same for the A&M site) is the contacts made among former artists, producers and others associated with the label. I'm amazed how many are friendly and willing to share (or correct what they believe to be errors, hehehehe)... Julius Wechter's public visit before his passing was by far the highlight of the A&M Corner history (next to the ignore thread, of course).

--Mr Bill
having an acid flashback

Fascinating stuff, guys....every place has a beginning, and this one has done nicely for a site devoted to a record label! Don't imagine there are that many with similar inclinations that have lasted this long(indeed, sites come and go....often very quickly!) This is a class, cool place...that's how to do it....

N, if it's any comfort, I always have a backlog of at least two or three hundred Lp's--and even more 45's--that need playing and filing. I always get around to doing some as time permits, but the actual number of 'waiting' never seems to change....which is not a bad thing, so I'm sure you'll get around to tidying up eventually....NOT! :badteeth: Look at it this way: if you don't leave off until tomorrow what you can't do today, what is there to look forward to? :goofygrin:

Life should be cluttered, not orderly...keeps things interesting!

:ed:

OK, some of the dates I looked up for "first visits" from a mothballed copy of the old A&M Fan Contact page (which I can't repost since it contains e-mail addresses):

Martin Alfsen: 1/1/1998...

"I have been a fan of Herb Alpert since the late sixties and also of other A & M acts like Sergio Mendes and the Carpenters. I enjoy this site a lot!"

David Winer: 12/10/1997...

"I Own A Lot Of Rare A&M Albums including a copy of "Happy Heart", LP by Nick De Caro. I also have newer A&M Stuff, like Peter Frampton, Burt Bacharach, Steve Marriott, David Batteau, David Spinozza, Jim Carroll, to name a few. I am also into the A&M/CTi LP's ie. Richard Barbary, Tamiko Jones, Artie Butler, Jobim, Adderly, Benson, etc. "

Andrew Lukstin: 11/21/1997 (anyone know where he's at?)

Jean Carlo Marchio: 11/2/1997

Dave Eden: 10/24/1997

Tim Yee: 8/29/1997...

"An avid Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 fan since 1966! I'd very much like to know why the group was 'overhauled' after "Look Around"? I've been wondering for all these years!"

Harry Neyhart: 8/25/1997...

"Who would have thought that there were so many A&M Records fans like me? I am amazed. I have collected Herb Alpert, Sergio Mendes, Carpenters, & Lani Hall records for years. I bought the Carpenters single "Close To You" BECAUSE it was on A&M (and it was a great record besides.) I keep buying import Carpenters packages as I see them. Almost every one has a different mix of an old Carpenters song that I've not heard before."

Bob Papp: 8/22/1997

Trent Sprenkle: 7/16/1997...

"I love this site!!! Finally, people who love Sergio Mendes& Brasil'66 as much as I! I can't get enough of that stuff, but I can't find ANYTHING after Fool on the hill! If anyone has any video of them PLEASE contact me! I'd love to see them in action. "

Richard Derrick: 6/13/1997

Dennis Daniels: 5/11/1997

"Mr Bill" Gowdy: 5/11/1997...

"TJB fan since 1970 when I used their music to play along with my films. A year later, age 11, dicovered BMB and took marimba lessons. Interest spread to other A&M artists: C. Montez, C. Longet, Brasil '66, P Ochs, CTI artists and, later, IRS Records. Love to correspond with others on any or all the above..."

Mike Blakesley: 3/28/1997...

"Used to buy A&M albums solely because they were on A&M...a lifelong fan of the TJB, Brasil '66-'77-'88-'86-'99, Bacharach, Carpenters, etc. Avid campaigner to get Alpert's "Warm" released on CD."

Richard Warner: 3/23/1997 (the day the list debuted...it was a manual entry by me, as were all of them that day, from others I had corresponded with via e-mail)

Stefan Daystrom and Steve Sidoruk also signed in on 3/23/1997, but these two A&M friends of mine I had known for a few years already, from our days at Compuserve. There are plenty of other names on there as well, some I'd known as lurkers, others who I'd been in e-mail contact with.

At the time, I also had a separate guestbook on the site, so it looks like a couple of visitors who posted in the old A&M Fan Contact page also left a note in the guestbook. Here's one entry, which shows Mr Bill finding this guestbook a month earlier:

Mr Bill: 4/16/1997...

"Great site. Glad to know there are othe TJB, BMB, Mendes, Jolly, etc fans out there. How about Sandpipers, Montez, Longet, Ochs fans?"

When I redid the A&M Fan Contact page, I ended up with a new list of messages. This lasted until the site got its own domain name, where I dumped it along with putting in a new site design. Here are a couple more notable entries:

Jeff Fiedler: 1/28/1999...

"Wow! I'm an immensely avid 19-year-old record collector (a couple closet's worth of stuff), and it's so great to find so many people equally as obsessed with all the old A&M goodies as I am. Love the old '60s and '70s A&M albums, especially Longet, TJB, Bacharach, Mendes ("Look of Love" is STILL the best 45 I've ever bought), Carpenters, Pablo Cruise, Peter Allen, Frampton, early Styx ... where do I end? I've worn out so many classic and more-obscure A&M albums I'd swear the center of my turntable was turning tan!"

Dave Twogood: 11/20/1998...

"Thanks to Bill Gowdy, I've discovered another musical venue on the web dear to my heart. Herb Alpert (TjB), BMB, and The Ventures were 3 major musical influences in my life, and I hope to share and especially learn more during my visits here. I hope to hear from others a lot!"

Carol Kaye: 8/31/1998...

"Very nice site, it's very well-laid out and informative. I've known Herb Alpert since our days together with Bumps Blackwell at keen Records (1958) and he's always been great to work for, always cordial, really brilliant in producing, and respectful to studio musicians. Julius Wechter also is a wonderful person, excellent in his musicianship (was on most of not all of Phil Spector's first record dates in the 60s) and good to work with. John Pisano is still fun to play with and work for at Papashons in Encino, such a fine guitarist and good friend. And I had the pleasure of teaching Pat Senatore on the elec. bass in the early 70s, another wonderful guy. Best wishes, Carol Kaye http://www.carolkaye.com/"

Jim McCollum 8/19/1998...

"wow! "mexican dummer man". you guys are great.this was the first music to get me hooked in vinyl.a&m has always been my favorite.someday,i will have a fold satin jacet with the a&m logo on the back.until then,viva rudy and herb!"

Paul Jeromack: 7/29/1998...

"I think I posted here before, but during one night of insomnia, I discovered your archieves. I knew you guys were devoted, but I'm thrilled to see you are totally OBSESSED as I am with this quality music! I've been a solid Sergio fan for almost thirty years and it's wonderful to connect with other fans here and get solid information about b66-77 (and onwards). I thought my Sergio collection was pretty cpmplete - how exciting to know there are other things out there I've never heard of before!!"

Rim Kasputis: 7/13/1998...

"I have been a fan of Herbs since day one.Besides records,concerts and other activites I was inspired to learn to play trumpet and keyboards. As it came about I am still actively involved to this day.I chose a career as a band director at the middle school level however my passion is recording light jazz in my basement studio . I would like to share my music with anyone who is interested. I released 2 songs on vinyl in 1982 Late Blossom and Slapshot with my band RISE and continue to update my home studio in order to improve my sound. As mentioned Herb is my heaviest influence but one may hear a nuance of other artists in my music also."

James Brent (aka LPJim): 6/12/1998...

"Raised on Alpert, BMB, Mendes, Sandpipers, Rodgers, Jolly, Jobim and Montgomery. Started collecting early A&M LPs and 45s in sixth grade and never stopped! My musical tastes were formed and expanded by the growth of the label. No artist or record from the 'tan label' era is too obscure for me to care about. Really love this website too."

Wendell Johnson: 6/11/1998...

"I've been a Herb Alpert fan since I first heard "A Taste Of Honey" on the radio back in the 60's.And I was a member of the original fan club.I was so impressed by Herb that I learned how to play the trumpet also.I also came to like the rest of the A&M recording artists too.And I admired Herb not only for being a great musician,but for being a smart businessman in owning half of A&M records then."

Webmeister Rudy said:
Still transfering stuff from the old gallery to the new one, in fact. If I only had time to wrap it up. :sad:

the Bishop of 'Ed' said:
N, if it's any comfort...I always get around to doing...as time permits...which is not a bad thing, so I'm sure you'll get around to tidying up eventually....NOT! Look at it this way: if you don't leave off until tomorrow what you can't do today, what is there to look forward to?

Somewhere I have a small sign that reads, "God put me here to accomplish certain things. I am now so far behind that I will live forever."

Just a happy thought for a weekend of hell...

--Mr B

What was A&M Corner like In The Beginning? Much Quieter! :goofygrin:

But, I remember looking up on the internet back in '97 when I joined AOL, for info on A&M Recording Studios, A&M Records and whatever else I could find on those artists whose albums appeared on those Inner-Sleeves and whichever ones I saw in stores. I was actually thinking I would run into a website run by Herb Alpert, himself! :laugh:

Well, I never did come across such a site, but have fortunately found this one instead! And so far, for about the past SEVEN YEARS, has been Just as Good!! :cheers:

Man, this is like looking at an Old Scrapbook! :badteeth:

Dave

I wonder at what point Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss first logged on? We know when Julius Wechter did.
Also, they (Herb and Jerry) must have computer equipment that is very cutting edge- I wonder if Herb is as good on the net as he is on the trumpet?

This is great reading! I really enjoy going down memory lane, as anyone who has visited my theatre site would know.

Maybe this will encourage some of the "oldies" who have been lurking to come out of the woodwork again.

Rudy said:
Tim Yee: 8/29/1997...

"An avid Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 fan since 1966! I'd very much like to know why the group was 'overhauled' after "Look Around"? I've been wondering for all these years!"

And I'm still waiting for the answer!

I think I was doing a Sergio web search when I ran across Neil's website, and couldn't believe there were people even wackier than me in this world, so naturally I had to join in. In fact it's the ONLY "Chat Room" I've ever had any interest in participating - I know, I know, I need to get a life!

Really though, it's been a most informative and enjoyable association, and since I'm not as knowledgable musically as most of you, I've tended to stay in the backround and just 'be a listener'..... :wink:

Tim Yee

Hi Tim! :wave: Hey, I'll be one of the first to admit that I don't have much A&M knowledge. I would know even less if I hadn't hung out with everyone here for the past several years. :) Everyone's been so generous and patient, telling us what they know and sharing discoveries, and that includes current members and all of those we've fallen out of touch with over the years. A great bunch of folks! :)

I agree this was interesting to read this thread. Since reading this I ventured over to the main forums index & was suprised to see that Carpenters posts is now at 7905, Wow that kinda suprises me in a way, I never really looked at this before but there are more C fans than I thought, just think of all the ones not posting. :shock:

This is a great A & M Corner Forum. :)

Back in Jr. High days (they call it Middle School now) I was collecting TJB and had started picking up A&M numerically. My neighbor's Dad managed the local Singer outlet, which is where I got MILLION DOLLAR SAMPLER and Canadian Sweethearts/Lucille Starr.
Kept it up off and on thru college and beyond - never knowing there were like-minded individuals. Helpful folks at Woolworths and other record outlets ordered obscure titles for me from those huge yellow catalogs they kept on display.
Then in the mid-80s I spotted a "Goldmine" ad announcing a newsletter for A&M fans. That was my introduction to Steve Sidoruk, who wrote the newsletter, Randy Kocht and others.
Some of these guys were already collecting TJB reissues on CD. I didn't own a player at that time and believed I'd get caught up later. Man, was I wrong! I'm still playing catch-up in that dept.
It was in 1997 that I stumbled upon this site; immediately recognized the names of many contributors and knew I had found my way home.
Since then there have been so many online and live contacts with A&M artists and friends I couldn't begin to name them.
The 1998 chat with Julius stands out. I'm so glad he was able to know the level of appreciation for his work before he left the planet.
JB
NP: Procol Harum "Rambling On" --

Rudy said:
Everyone's been so generous and patient, telling us what they know and sharing discoveries, and that includes current members... A great bunch of folks!

Anyone else hear a "smooching" sound coming from behind them? :laugh:

All kidding aside, I consider so many here to be "best friends" -- often sharing news here soon after sharing with the immediate family. It's amazing to think that without the 'net most of us would never have "met." It's the double-edged sword -- the 'net has shrunk the world but made many into isolated social retards with no real social interaction...

Never a dull moment. Great friends. Tons of information. I spend the majority of my net time here.

--Mr Bill
who's happy Neil made the site so I didn't have to, allowing me to focus on I.R.S. instead...

I can certainly say that the A & M Corner has meant a lot. Imagine living in a small, remote country like Norway, just four million people.. Back in 98 I felt I was the only Herb Alpert fan in my part of the world! To get in contact with all of you here has been a blessing and also the access to the wealth of information AND the possibility to share with others that are actually interested. I have even mentioned the A & M Corner in a book that I contributed to here in Norway. It's in Norwegian so none of you would understand it, but you must take my word for it. Anyway, the only problem is that so much has already been said over the years on these subjects, that I sometimes feel it is difficult to contribute something new that has not already been discussed. Let's hope for those TJB reissues soon...! :laugh:

- greetings from the north -
Martin

I first discovered Rudy's Corner on Thanksgiving '97 while at a friends house messing with her computer. I was convinced then that I needed a computer of my own, which I got in early '98. Like Martin I thought I was THE biggest Alpert fan, and then I came across Steve Sidoruk in the early 90's (late '92, I think) through his A&M Fan Network. Then I thought "Okay, there's only one other person who's as big a fan as I am", then after getting my computer and finding the Corner I realized there were many more like me (which is usually a scary thought, but I digress... :wink: ). When I first came on there were already a couple of guys named Bill. We were trying to figure out how to distinguish the "Bill's" in the group, and I mentioned that since my last name is Bernardi I used to get nicknamed Bacardi in high school. Neil quickly jumped on that and asked if I would mind taking the name Captain Bacardi (Jobim tune, A&M connection - hey, it worked), and a legend was born. (Make your own joke here! :D )

It's been a lot of fun throughout the years. You never know when a piece of great news will come along, or when someone discovers some rare gem that no one else had before. I'm still waiting for the day when the ever-elusive Stonebones album by JJ Johnson & Kai Winding will eventually show up. I've discovered a lot of great music thanks to some of the folks here, and hopefully we'll all find a lot more great things before all is said and done.

Capt. Bacardi

LPJim said:
The 1998 chat with Julius stands out. I'm so glad he was able to know the level of appreciation for his work before he left the planet.

I'll bet if Julius was still here he would have been a regular here at the A&M Corner. He must have gotten the sense that his music was gonna be re-discovered through this and other places online. That he changed from musician to doctor, he would have been at the computer more than the marimbas!

Rudy said:
Harry Neyhart: 8/25/1997...

Hmm. I guess I had that date wrong by three days. Well, anyway I knew that "...it was either late August, or early September."

Harry
...singing, as I begin my eighth year here (you're lucky you can't hear it), online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom