đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if Karen will be singing and this is not an instrumental only album? I can't find anything official that even mentions Karen?

It's just an educated assumption.
I doubt the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra would put out an album with an artist that was just instrumental. They have had 6 albums so far, non featuring instrumentals...
Elvis (x3), Roy Orbison, Aretha Franklin* and Beach Boys.

* RIP
Aretha Franklin
The Queen of Soul
1942-2018

It's just an educated assumption.
I doubt the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra would put out an album with an artist that was just instrumental. They have had 6 albums so far, non featuring instrumentals...
Elvis (x3), Roy Orbison, Aretha Franklin* and Beach Boys.

* RIP
Aretha Franklin
The Queen of Soul
1942-2018

I hope so as I am really so very excited about this. Seeing that brief clip of Richard conducting got me so pumped up for this release.

I know this song won’t appear but I would love to hear “Tryin To Get The Feeling Again” with the majestic strings especially the middle part but if you listen to the studio version there are strings playing in a lot of the background. A new movement could make this song go from demo to a true studio recording without the page turn. It’s that good!!

In regards to whether this will be instrumental or include Karen:

I did some quick research and found The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra has many instrumental albums.
Mostly classical music, movie scores or collections like their "Symphonic Rock" album.

There's been: "RPO plays QUEEN," "RPO plays ABBA," and "The Beatles according to the RPO."
Additionally they've done instrumental albums for: Coldplay, U2, The Police, Meatloaf, Phil Collins, Rolling Stones and Julio Eglesias.

There was one album of Prince's music where they had a choir sing each chorus.
So, very similar concept as Richard's '97 PACC album.

Looks like there were few living popular singers to record with the RPO: Andy Williams and Heart (live).

On the other hand, Elvis, Roy, Aretha, and Beach Boys RPO albums were produced by Nick Patrick and Don Reedman.
I do not see their names attached to this Carpenters project. They were responsible for making those monster releases in recent years.
Members of the artists' family or the artists themselves were involved in the project too, BUT in this case it appears Richard is talking on more of the producer role.

So, the answer for now is we still don't know.

However, with words tossed around like "orchestral album" and "Carpenters music" there's a chance it may turn out to be similar to his '97 release.

Last edited:
I did some quick research and found The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra has many instrumental albums.
Mostly classical music, movie scores or collections like their "Symphonic Rock" album.

There's been: "RPO plays QUEEN," "RPO plays ABBA," and "The Beatles according to the RPO."

Yeah, this is kind of my worry...I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see. The fact that Richard is involved may be a good sign. I don’t recall Paul McCartney or Brian May and Roger Taylor being involved in the Beatles and Queen RPO albums. Or maybe it is a purely instrumental album and Richard just couldn’t pass up the opportunity of orchestrating and conducting for it himself.

On the other hand, Elvis, Roy, Aretha, and Beach Boys RPO albums were produced by Nick Patrick and Don Reedman.
I do not see their names attached to this Carpenters project. They were responsible for making those monster releases in recent years.

To be fair, we haven’t seen any other names attached to this yet, other than Richard’s. If the Carpenters original vocals are going to be used on this album, there’s a ton of production work still to be done. Who knows who he could enlist to help him with that.

Last edited:
Some good points and that would be a disappointment after expecting to hear Karen but again the fact that it's such a major, commercial label - Universal Music - and Richard's staying in London, I feel that's too much of a big deal for that. Also those instrumental albums that the RPO have done look a little bit cheap (I don't mean that in a nasty way, they just look unofficial and don't do anything)

It's an awful lot of money for all parties invloved (Richard, the RPO, Universal Music and Abbey Road) to be throwing at a project that won't chart or sell with anyone other than fans.

the fact that it's such a major, commercial label - Universal Music - and Richard's staying in London, I feel that's too much of a big deal for that.

That's a very strong point.
It is an awful lot of time and money if they're not going to make their money back...
However, they could probably break even from the fan base--if it were entirely instrumental.

And there's only one way to make an album with the London RPO and that's to stay in London, right? Lol
So, I don't think that makes a difference on this point.

BUT, yes, for Capitol Records, Universal Music Group and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra to be doing all of this we'd like to think it follows the success of all the other recent releases.

To be honest, in any case, I'll be surprised!
If it's with Karen's vocals (I hope so!) it'll be goose-bump city for me.
If it's instrumentals I'll be surprised at myself and the fan base for assuming otherwise...
And still listen to it anyways!

It would seem like a missed opportunity with the way the music industry is going...
Yet, we haven't known Richard to follow trends, so really it's up in the air and not for us to know right now.
I find it strange other media outlets haven't picked up the story... it's still early I guess.
Nor, have we seen anything from anyone who might be able to give fans more details.

Either way, upon the release date, let us refrain from giving Richard a hard time if we're feeling disappointment.
I'll borrow the sentiment from an earlier thread "It's time for some love for Richard."

I was just listening to a 2016 interview he gave with WTVQ radio (hadn't heard it before) and I have a lot of respect for him. The fact he's doing anything new at all after his 2014 statement on Chris May's podcast is truly a gift!

Last edited:
I’m thinking if it’s to celebrate “Carpenters 50th anniversary” it has to include Karen’s vocals doesn’t it?
On the other hand if it’s not for the anniversary and just a fantastic project it could well be instrumental I guess? I just hope it includes vocals!

Well if Karen’s lead vocals and Richard’s backing vocals are used...it will be the first time Richard has altered any of the original Carpenters studio recordings. I mean this is nothing like a remix we are used to these will be complete altering of the instrumental track yet with K&R vocals intact. It’s possible this could be just an instrumental album, we’ll have to wait for more info from Richard or his son.

Well if Karen’s lead vocals and Richard’s backing vocals are used...it will be the first time Richard has altered any of the original Carpenters studio recordings. I mean this is nothing like a remix we are used to these will be complete altering of the instrumental track yet with K&R vocals intact.

And that’s my reason for wondering whether this isn’t going to be anything other than an instrumental album. He’s spent 35 years since Karen’s passing perfecting their legacy, why strip it apart now? Then again, if he’s in charge and calling the shots creatively and in terms of production, who’s to say? So many questions!

That's a very strong point.
It is an awful lot of time and money if they're not going to make their money back...
However, they could probably break even from the fan base--if it were entirely instrumental.

And there's only one way to make an album with the London RPO and that's to stay in London, right? Lol
So, I don't think that makes a difference on this point.

BUT, yes, for Capitol Records, Universal Music Group and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra to be doing all of this we'd like to think it follows the success of all the other recent releases.

To be honest, in any case, I'll be surprised!
If it's with Karen's vocals (I hope so!) it'll be goose-bump city for me.
If it's instrumentals I'll be surprised at myself and the fan base for assuming otherwise...
And still listen to it anyways!

It would seem like a missed opportunity with the way the music industry is going...
Yet, we haven't known Richard to follow trends, so really it's up in the air and not for us to know right now.
I find it strange other media outlets haven't picked up the story... it's still early I guess.
Nor, have we seen anything from anyone who might be able to give fans more details.

Either way, upon the release date, let us refrain from giving Richard a hard time if we're feeling disappointment.
I'll borrow the sentiment from an earlier thread "It's time for some love for Richard."

I was just listening to a 2016 interview he gave with WTVQ radio (hadn't heard it before) and I have a lot of respect for him. The fact he's doing anything new at all after his 2014 statement on Chris May's podcast is truly a gift!

THANK YOU, WYBIMLA, for mentioning this 2016 interview. I just listened to it for the first time also. VERY HEARTWARMING on so many levels!!

So many questions!

I'm with you on that! By now, followers of this thread feel the same.
All over Facebook and Instagram many fans thought like we did, so I don't feel too bad having felt excitement.

However, it's only been a little over 2 weeks since the announcement.
Perhaps details are being kept close to only those working on the project for now.

April 2019, is a stretch just to know if it's instrumental or not though! Lol
Somewhere between now and then we'll get a little nugget about this...

I guessed the type of project right before it happened. haha
But, I'm really wishin' and hopin' I'm wrong in suggesting there's no KC vocals.

At this point it could be:

1) regular compilation + orchestral instrumentals package

2) same treatment as Elvis, Roy, Aretha and Beach Boys w/ the RPO for the 50th.

I mean, yeah let's be honest option 2 feels so much better. :oops:

That burning question we all have shouldn't be that hard to answer- and if Karen's voice is being used, it would create more buzz about the project.

At the same time how many times has Richard "gone on record" to say that "This Is It!". 1984's An Old-Fashioned Christmas was apparently the "final" Christmas release, but then in 2016 we got Christmas Memories that gave us Christmas Alphabet & Make Me Laugh. Lovelines was apparently "the final Carpenters album" and no other tracks were suitable for release, but then we got As Time Goes By, along with all the various tracks on compilations like The Parting Of Our Ways, Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again, My Body Keeps Changing My Mind. I don't think Richard will be done until he's being placed next to Karen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom