🎵 AotW Strange Bedfellows: Comedy and Politics (A&M SP 5219)

LPJim

Staff member
A1 –Will Durst Untitled 12:04
A2 –Barry Crimmins Untitled 12:30
B1 –Jimmy Tingle Untitled 14:40
B2 –Randy Credico Untitled 10:27

Recorded live at: Stand-Up New York, July 11, 1988
Remote recording facilities: The Record Plant, New York

Issued as CD 5219 DX 003767

JB

610hFomp50L._SX466_.jpg

This was one of two comedy albums released back-to-back in 1988, on the Blue Rose imprint. The other album is called Women of the Night and features three female comedians (Paula Poundstone among them).

I remember at the time finding a promo package with both albums that noted this was the start of a comedy album deal with Blue Rose (which at the time was primarily a folk/blues/bluegrass/country label) and that more comedy albums would follow. Alas, no more came after these two (as far as I know). I found it odd as I had many Blue Rose albums in my collection (I got into "new country" after the Wagoners' A&M debut) and found it curious that a label as varied as Blue Rose with sign an imprint or distribution deal with a label as big as A&M but just for the comedy niche (which was non-existent for Blue Rose proper at the time)...

The comedians on this album have interesting pedigrees. My own favorite of the four, Will Durst, is still making political humor, recently tweeting live during the Kavanaugh witch trials; Canadian Jimmy Tingle is still a working comedian as well and held the "Andy Rooney Spot" on CBS's 60 Minutes II from 1999 to 2005 and was a candidate for Massachusetts Lt. Governor earlier this month (but lost the primary finishing fourth of four); Randy Credico no longer does comedy but is heavily involved in politics, particularly in the New York area as a perrenial "also ran" as a thorn in the side of many fellow democrats including Chuck Schumer, Andrew Cuomo as well as an "occupy" activist and media producer -- he is also the reputed link between Julian Assange (WikiLeaks) and Hillary Clinton's emails, for which he plead the fifth when subpoenaed; Barry Crimmins died of Cancer in February of this year after a long career as a political commentator and satirist (doing less and less standup over the years than at the time of this album)....

--Mr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom