đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the best news is that Richard is clearly having an incredible amount of fun, pulling together a timely and most welcome reminder of the lasting beauty of the Carpenters' singular sound, in a format that will showcase Karen in a way that can only reinforce what we all know already: she was the best...then, now, and forever! The smile on Richard's face these days looks 100% unforced and almost beatific--and I predict we'll all have our own version of it just as soon as this labor of love is in our hot little hands!!
Don Don Don, you tapped into my feverish giddy passion. Anybody else arm pittin out?
Yep, after 48 years of pledging my allegiance I'm consumed. What a consumption it is.

IMO, the best news is that Richard is clearly having an incredible amount of fun, pulling together a timely and most welcome reminder of the lasting beauty of the Carpenters' singular sound, in a format that will showcase Karen in a way that can only reinforce what we all know already: she was the best...then, now, and forever! The smile on Richard's face these days looks 100% unforced and almost beatific--and I predict we'll all have our own version of it just as soon as this labor of love is in our hot little hands!!
This is exactly how I feel, in fact when I saw the additional photo yesterday I was thinking the exact same thing. Richard is in CarpenterS mode once again and it feels like old times. I for one am glad to see the spark has been lit again for yet another CarpenterS release.

Yesterday on my news feed I saw this article from CNN on my phone about Amy Winehouse's hologram is set to go on tour. Base Hologram has announced partnership with Winehouse's estate to produce a concert tour to celebrate the singers legacy.
The article states: Base bills itself as "the leading live entertainment content creator leveraging holographic film technology to produce live entertainment tours and attractions worldwide. Utilizing new state-of-the-art proprietary technology, the production will launch towards the end of 2019, according to a statement announcing the worldwide tour. Featuring digitally remastered arrangements of her classics, the hologram will be backed by a live band, singers and theatrical stagecraft."

Could I be attending my first ever Carpenters Concert in the not so distant future? My heart pounds at the very thought of this idea..my dream might one day become reality...the technology is here.

Base Hologram Productions

This is exactly how I feel, in fact when I saw the additional photo yesterday I was thinking the exact same thing. Richard is in CarpenterS mode once again and it feels like old times. I for one am glad to see the spark has been lit again for yet another CarpenterS release.

Yesterday on my news feed I saw this article from CNN on my phone about Amy Winehouse's hologram is set to go on tour. Base Hologram has announced partnership with Winehouse's estate to produce a concert tour to celebrate the singers legacy.
The article states: Base bills itself as "the leading live entertainment content creator leveraging holographic film technology to produce live entertainment tours and attractions worldwide. Utilizing new state-of-the-art proprietary technology, the production will launch towards the end of 2019, according to a statement announcing the worldwide tour. Featuring digitally remastered arrangements of her classics, the hologram will be backed by a live band, singers and theatrical stagecraft."

Could I be attending my first ever Carpenters Concert in the not so distant future? My heart pounds at the very thought of this idea..my dream might one day become reality...the technology is here.

That's something I've thought about for a while, being born in the year 2000 I obviously never had the chance to see them live (I was born in the wrong decade). They toured all over the UK so I definitely would have. I always say, if they ever invent time travel the first thing I'd do would be to go and watch the Carpenters live!

Although I don't know how I'd feel about a hologram of Karen. Whilst it's an amazing advancement in technology, would allow younger fans like me (and even older one's who didn't get to see them first time around) to see the Carpenters live, there is a side to it then might not feel right, especially to Richard, it could feel disrespectful (or is it respectful to continue abmn incredible woman's talent?)

There are many strong advantages and disadvantages to both sides of the debate. It would be very commercial, especially to UK audiences.

Richard has already used videos of Karen in past concert settings like the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame tribute and during his tour of Japan in the 90's. Hopefully he would embrace the state of the art proprietary technology and possibly go on tour utilizing theater type (1500-4000 seat) venues to promote the new album. Probably would depend a lot on his energy level, financial feasibility and desire to travel.

I could also see him utilizing local municipal orchestras to enrich the sound and make it similar to the RPO arrangements. I've enjoyed a couple of the tribute band concerts over the past decade and would be really excited to actually see Richard perform live with Karen's vocals and images! Would also be nice to see him make some appearances on the national morning talk show circuit in addition to opportunities like Entertainment Tonight to advertise the new project.

Priscilla Presley (who was involved in tha making of the Elvis triology) was all over UK TV when the Elvis one's came out. She was on morning TV shows like "Good Morning Britain" and late night shows like the Jonathan Ross show. Would Richard be willing to do that? It clearly worked for Elvis when it sold over a million copies !

As one who also failed to see the Carpenters live back in the day, I would attend a show like this in a heartbeat, and pay good money to do so. In a strange way it feels a little "creepy", but it's the closest I could come to seeing them perform and I'd be there with bell (bottoms) on. Well ok, not really, but I'd be there :wink:

I'm not sure where I saw this - no doubt one of you can clarify - I saw Richard performing in a video where he interacted with a hologram "Karen" - even sitting next to her and Karen leaning on his shoulder, if memory serves. Granted that tech is likely not sufficient for what this is expected to be, but if he did it then, maybe Richard would be open to this.

As one who also failed to see the Carpenters live back in the day, I would attend a show like this in a heartbeat, and pay good money to do so. In a strange way it feels a little "creepy", but it's the closest I could come to seeing them perform and I'd be there with bell (bottoms) on. Well ok, not really, but I'd be there :wink:

I'm not sure where I saw this - no doubt one of you can clarify - I saw Richard performing in a video where he interacted with a hologram "Karen" - even sitting next to her and Karen leaning on his shoulder, if memory serves. Granted that tech is likely not sufficient for what this is expected to be, but if he did it then, maybe Richard would be open to this.

Richard did this with Top of the World on a Japan broadcast in 1998. Some fans might not like this but I absolutely love it. Richard seemed very taken with this back then and I'm quite sure the Japan fans loved this!! It's nice to see that Richard was open to doing this back then and look at where we are now 2018 and he has recorded with the RPO something we never dreamed of seeing/hearing come to life. I'm sure Richard knows about Roy Orbison and the touring they are doing with Base Hologram. It remains to be seen how he feels about something like this...I personally would find it very honoring and I'd support it by attending in a heartbeat.

Horrible! Karen in 1976 and Richard in 1998. It's creepy and in poor taste. What's wrong with RC just introducing the clip? Horrible!

I don’t find this creepy at all. What I do find odd is the tribute to Harold Carpenter on facebook. It is fandom gone too far.

The best use of video by RC was at the opening of the CPAC in Long Beach. Richard played "from this moment on" live, while a video of KC played above him. This was an isolated camera shot of KC only. Every time Karen looked to the left, she was eye to eye with RC. It gave me goosebumps. They filmed the concert, but I have never seen it pop up anywhere.

Also, it should be pointed out that the news that is shared on this board is spread all over Facebook and improperly cited. I almost wonder if that is why our source has been silenced.

Let’s be honest, Facebook has become an abomination that should be shut down. You can’t breathe these days without someone telling the world and posting photos. It’s populated people who will post anything and it’s practically unregulated. I’m appalled at some things I’ve seen but the genie is outta the bottle now ...

Shouldn't it be around now? I'm predicting between the 5-15 Dec

I would anticipate pre orders going up within 2-3 weeks from today. I hope a vinyl version is released later as well.

No I think it’s still around four weeks away and will be announced mid November. Artwork, marketing plans, printing for mass markets, distribution and scheduling on major TV network advertising slots over Christmas are probably all still being done and agreed and don’t forget, Richard only posted this week that he’s still finalising the album. It’s still far too early for the Christmas market build up if they’re aiming for a smash hit seller come the final chart listing on Christmas Day.

Last edited:
I wonder if “Merry Christmas, Darling” might be put out as a single in November? If it is put out, hopefully Universal won’t pull a Beach Boys “Child Of Winter” release with MCD.

Do we think that this "IS" the 50th anniversary release? Richard hasn't actually said it's for the 50th. Now it's being released in 2018 not 2019 (although maybe it's being released just before the 50th year) could there be more releases into the new year? When I got a letter from Richard in late 2016 when he told me about the Vinyl box set, he said "there are currently no plans for the 50th but I am certain that there will be in the next couple of years"... Is the RPO project the "plans" coming to fruition, or are there more? Wouldn't a box set containing everything from the albums and new things be great. Thoughts?

Is the RPO project the "plans" coming to fruition, or are there more? Wouldn't a box set containing everything from the albums and new things be great. Thoughts?

I think this album is to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. Why would they go to all the expense, flying RC over to the UK to record with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and release this album within four months of the 50th year if it wasn’t? I also doubt there’ll be another box set. That’s been done...twice already.

Let’s be honest, Facebook has become an abomination that should be shut down. You can’t breathe these days without someone telling the world and posting photos. It’s populated people who will post anything and it’s practically unregulated. I’m appalled at some things I’ve seen but the genie is outta the bottle now ...

I am completely with you about Facebook. It IS an abomination. I joined it a few years ago to stay in touch with friends from my work. It didn't take long for me to realize this was not the way I wanted to spend my time. So I closed my account. Not my cup of tea. I much prefer a forum like this!

Do we think that this "IS" the 50th anniversary release? Richard hasn't actually said it's for the 50th. Now it's being released in 2018 not 2019 (although maybe it's being released just before the 50th year) could there be more releases into the new year? When I got a letter from Richard in late 2016 when he told me about the Vinyl box set, he said "there are currently no plans for the 50th but I am certain that there will be in the next couple of years"... Is the RPO project the "plans" coming to fruition, or are there more? Wouldn't a box set containing everything from the albums and new things be great. Thoughts?

for the past three years, there has been a late-in-the-year release. I do hope there will be something to specifically honor the 50th. either way, CARPENTERS are still in the marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom