⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
The “Now & Then” album was released on May 9, 1973.

The “Yesterday Once More” 45 was released May 16, 1973.

By comparison “Sing” was released January 30, 1973.

Their next American single wouldn’t be released until September 19, 1973 when “Top Of The World” was released and their next “New” Tracks were “Please Mr. Postman & Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” in November 1974.
Wow, I never knew time was so short for such a song improvement. Maybe it was a pressing issue that extended the time of album release that made it so close to single release while the single release had all the improvements over the single of Yesterday Once More.

So I've listened to my Japan SHM CD and it contains the same early pre-release versions in other words it's exactly like the Target CD. I hear no sound differences because it's a SHM. Even the bonus track counts down to the same 7 seconds before Postman begins. I don't mind having both CD's as I'm supporting this release which in turns shows the label we still buy this type music and Richard that we appreciate what he's given us. I still want to hear "Those Good Old Dreams"...you know the feeling when you know something is out there and you want to hear it? lol of course you do. lol

I'm growing more fond of each song and interlude with each listen, in fact I'm getting a better appreciation for TMWWD which was not a huge favorite of mine. Some of the interludes are so moody and I mean that in a good way. I love how the interludes flow into the songs, genius!!

The “Now & Then” album was released on May 9, 1973.

The “Yesterday Once More” 45 was released May 16, 1973.

By comparison “Sing” was released January 30, 1973.

Their next American single wouldn’t be released until September 19, 1973 when “Top Of The World” was released and their next “New” Tracks were “Please Mr. Postman & Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” in November 1974.

Well, it looks like Richard has had a habit of doing these last minute changes!...:)

I received my Japan CD today in the mail. I have not played it yet but opened and here are some quick notes about what's inside.

The Japan coloring on face of CD is a lighter ochre color than the Target CD.
The booklet inside is exactly the same except for this important feature. The material used to make the booklet seems to me much more higher quality material than the Target booklet. The Japan booklet is high glossy texture paper which makes the photos inside really pop and I like this feel of material and the way it looks, much more regal.
Inside is a leaflet insert the size of the booklet but separate and it's all in Japanese but it contains Richard's signature. That is not present in the Target CD.

Thank you Rick-An Ordinary Fool. Your detailed report is very helpful.

I too, was so amazed by the glossy texture paper of Japan CD.
I've never seen such a paper used for a booklet. The booklet looks like an art book!
Universal Music LLC (Japan) must have a very special feeling for this album.

By the way, I will reveal the secret of the "Red Sticker" today.
The Sticker says, Application cards should be postmarked on or before January 31, 2019.
There is a lottery, and the prizes are "Autographs of Richard Carpenter" (for 10 winners).
The details are written on an "insert leaflet" which has ("SAMPLE" stamped) Richard's signature.
The grey area at the bottom left of the leaflet, is the ticket.
You have to cut out the ticket, and stick it to the postcard, and send it for an application.
BUT... One caution is there... "This lottery is only for the people live in Japan".

I'm so sorry, and I made an another present for you.
The present here, is a recording of Richard's radio promotion. (Japan, Dec. 7, 2018)
You can listen this on YouTube, or download "Complete" version from MEGA.

(part 1)
(part 2)

MEGA: https://mega.nz/#F!lsUnlQhC!b2jsp2C9-egeNavF_kL2-w

-------------------------------------------------------------------
(part 1)
DJ Akihisa was surprised by Richard's big hand & strong hand shaking.
The ice cream Richard ate was "Häagen-Dazs".

[Profile of Carpenters]
In 1995, "The Best of Carpenters" album sold three million copies in Japan.
This is the most selling "The Best of" album in Japan, by foreign artist.

[Q] What do you think about Karen's voice?
DJ Miho (born in 1978) likes to sing at Karaoke.

In 1974, Nippon Broadcasting System (radio station) celebrated their 20th anniversary.
And they decided to hold Carpenters concerts at Budokan.
Tickets were sold through a lottery by postcards.
They received 380 thousands of application cards for 30 thousands tickets.

[Q] Do you remember 1974 Japan tour?
[Q] What's different in the new "Superstar"?
[Song] Superstar (with RPO) (excluded on YouTube version).

(part 2)
[Q] The original "Superstar" has no guitar part?
[Q] Anything new you have found at this recording?
[Q] Any memories of Karen?
[Q] The relation with Karen in the studio, sister or co-worker?
[Q] How did you start to work with your sister?
[Q] Arguments with Karen?

[Japanese (English)]
Kon-nichi-wa (Hello), Domo Arigato (Thank you, very much),
Ki-i-te-ne (Listen, please), Hi (Yes), Arigato (Thank you)

[Song] Top Of The World (with RPO) (excluded on YouTube version).
[Q] Message for Japanese fans

All the photos (seen on videos) were taken at the radio station.
I hope you (and also the copyright holders!) will enjoy this.

I've never seen such a paper used for a booklet. The booklet looks like an art book!

The Sticker says, Application cards should be postmarked on or before January 31, 2019.
There is a lottery, and the prizes are "Autographs of Richard Carpenter" (for 10 winners).
The details are written on an "insert leaflet" which has ("SAMPLE" stamped) Richard's signature.
You have to cut out the ticket, and stick it to the postcard, and send it for an application.
BUT... One caution is there... "This lottery is only for the people live in Japan".

The present here, is a recording of Richard's radio promotion. (Japan, Dec. 7, 2018)

(part 1)
(part 2)

(part 1)

[Profile of Carpenters]

In 1974, Nippon Broadcasting System (radio station) celebrated their 20th anniversary.

(part 2)

[Japanese (English)]

domo arigatou gozaimasu ! Thank you so much for all you are posting for us, I really appreciate it :wave::)

It makes me even prouder to be a Brit that this album has debuted in the Top 10, but I do have to wonder, who is buying this album? Surely it has to be the general public as well as the fans to get an album to the Top 10...

Well consider this... All of the studio albums from Ticket To Ride - Lovelines charted in the Top 75, each decade they've had Top 10's and #1's (Singles 69-73 & 74-78, Yesterday Once More, Only Yesterday, Gold, Nations Favourite and now the RPO)... How many times are the British public going to keep buying the same songs? I am by no means complaining, it's thrilling. How many artists can say that over a 50 year period they can release albums each decade and reach the Top 10 eleven times? This is by the way the Carpenters 25th album to reach the UK Top 75.

It makes me even prouder to be a Brit that this album has debuted in the Top 10, but I do have to wonder, who is buying this album? Surely it has to be the general public as well as the fans to get an album to the Top 10...

Well consider this... All of the studio albums from Ticket To Ride - Lovelines charted in the Top 75, each decade they've had Top 10's and #1's (Singles 69-73 & 74-78, Yesterday Once More, Only Yesterday, Gold, Nations Favourite and now the RPO)... How many times are the British public going to keep buying the same songs? I am by no means complaining, it's thrilling. How many artists can say that over a 50 year period they can release albums each decade and reach the Top 10 eleven times? This is by the way the Carpenters 25th album to reach the UK Top 75.
I know what you mean. 20 years ago, even 10, the public could peruse the shelves in virgin, hmv, our price, Woolworths. All of those have gone now. Except for Fopp I can't think of a high street chain still in existence in the UK. You'd wander along the top 40 and see the album.
I realize you can scan amazon but you sort of have to know what you're looking for.
Well clearly thousands of people are buying it, but without an ad campaign in the run up to Xmas I can't see this album going any higher. But 8 is brilliant.

I'm listening to I Just Fall In Love Again...again...and I don't mind saying it's brought me to tears. I can't help but marvel at what Richard has done with the track. It's given me a whole new appreciation for the song and this version is now firmly in my top 5 overall Carpenters tracks. Many of us have commented before that on the album version Karen sounded like she had a cold when she recorded the song. She no longer sounds like that. It goes to show that the way a track is mixed is one of the most important ingredients of the recording process. I wish more than anything that Karen could have heard this album, but then again as Richard said, I'm sure she's heard it :)

Many of us have commented before that on the album version Karen sounded like she had a cold when she recorded the song. She no longer sounds like that.

I though that too, particularly the first time I heard the new version. It may be that simply removing the reverb aided in that since a nasal tone is kind of a "natural reverb".

Another track which I enjoy on this latest "offering,"
is Touch Me When We're Dancing.
Now, as I have already expressed my opinion regards background vocals,
and, if that is not where the improvement lies, then I am at a loss to explain.
Perhaps, those more musical than I, can describe what has changed ?
This newer version has piqued my attention more than the LP version ever did.

Now, as I have already expressed my opinion regards background vocals,
and, if that is not where the improvement lies, then I am at a loss to explain.
Perhaps, those more musical than I, can describe what has changed ?.

Listen to the track with headphones and in your right ear you will hear the backing singer Carolyn Dennis louder than she is on the album mix (on the choruses, specifically the line "touch me when we're dancing"). That was the biggest surprise for me. Other than that, it's the same orchestration lines played by the RPO so the stereo sound is wider.

(part 1)
(part 2)

(part 1)

[Profile of Carpenters]

(part 2)

[Japanese (English)]

Thank you SO much for your gift! That you would take the time to share these with us is a blessing!

lotus, thank you so much for posting all these videos and taking the time to help translate. They really sound so excited to be interviewing Richard, it really comes through on these interviews and videos.

I see what you mean, on the bottom left corner of the insert leaflet is a pic of a pair of scissors, now this makes sense.
So I feel like I hit the lottery even though I can't play. :laugh:
It's cool that I have a lottery ticket in my Japan CD that I can treasure and remember I was apart of this excitement and celebration on release day.

There's a part of the song, Baby It's You where there is an instrument that comes in from the orchestra, it first starts at 24-26 seconds and then you hear it again...when Karen sings.."What can I do" right after that at 1:05 to 1:07. There's a connection being drawn between the sadness of the song/words to this instrument from the orchestra (not sure what instrument it is flute, clarinet?) but I find it incredible. It's almost like the instrument is mimicking the lyrics or agreeing with Karen, yeah what can you do? It's these little details that connect me to the song even more than I was before. Does this make sense?

The new album is just what I needed to lift my spirits this Holiday season. The more I listen the more I'm finding little things I really like.

Last edited:
So. I’ve read here that HEO and PMP could be segue since the end of HEO is the word “STOP” and on the opening word from PMP is also “STOP” so I made an edit combining these two. Here’s the link and tell what you think:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l8KwSFyfC9G3MqnIyRMxEu8FacMgd3yM/view?usp=drivesdk

Also I’ve read about the intro to IJGILA having a few second gap so I also combined the intro and the song. Here’s the link:
IJFILA - cont segue.m4a

Tell me what you think about these edits . Sorry if it’s not that good.

So. I’ve read here that HEO and PMP could be segue since the end of HEO is the word “STOP” and on the opening word from PMP is also “STOP” so I made an edit combining these two. Here’s the link and tell what you think:
HurtingxPostman - segue.m4a

Also I’ve read about the intro to IJGILA having a few second gap so I also combined the intro and the song. Here’s the link:
IJFILA - cont segue.m4a

Tell me what you think about these edits . Sorry if it’s not that good.

I also tried to cut Baby It’s You so MCD won’t be heard at the beginning. It sounded weird but try to listen to it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PGYg9QPBQZ_Uwhx_g-0xnp8FmQFVuNBJ/view?usp=drivesdk

There's a part of the song, Baby It's You where there is an instrument that comes in from the orchestra, it first starts at 24-26 seconds and then you hear it again...when Karen sings.."What can I do" right after that at 1:05 to 1:07. There's a connection being drawn between the sadness of the song/words to this instrument from the orchestra (not sure what instrument it is flute, clarinet?) but I find it incredible.
It sounds like a flute to me. I agree, it's wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom