10 Carpenters album cuts that should have been singles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Must Hear This Album

10 Carpenters album cuts that should have been singles:

For those superfans who want to be wonky, like me, I’ve actually presented this list, chronologically, suggesting release months/years for these “would-be” singles, taking into account how said releases would have pushed-back subsequent single and album releases, with the most obvious impact being that there would have been consistently “new” Carpenter tunes on the radio through 1974, as well as 1978 and 1979, which, I posit, might have significantly changed the destiny of our favorite duo. Okay, so here goes…

“Maybe It’s You” (November, 1970). After three covers as their first singles, why not introduce the world to the Carpenter/Bettis songwriting team with this underappreciated ballad from their sophomore effort? The song would have been right at home along with other ballady, Billboard hits from that month, like “One Less Bell To Answer,” “Your Song,” and “It’s Impossible,” to name but a few. This one would have easily been a top 5 smash.

“Baby It’s You” (February, 1971). Releasing this tune would have pushed back the release of their next single, “For All We Know,” and subsequent singles from the “tan album,” as well as that album’s release, but it would have extended the shelf life and sales of their breakthrough album with the unfortunate cover photo. And what a perfect release for Valentine’s Day that year, right?

“Let Me Be The One” (January, 1972). This would have put the last single release from the “tan album” out at the same time, B-side, “Bless The Beasts…” was rising up the charts, but the song had great potential and “Beasts” was an “accidental,” moderate hit, anyway (and fun sneak preview of their next album).

SIDEBAR: “I Won’t Last A Day Without You” should have been released in January of 1973 and not as a “keep a Carpenters song on the radio” release in 1974. In that context, it would have landed much higher than #11, easily a top five hit. Okay, so back to my list…

“A Song For You” (April, 1973). I believe releasing this one as a single in the spring of 1973 would have hushed many critics of the “valentine album.” It’s a perfect vehicle for Karen and turned out to be, sadly, prophetic. Oh, and this song would have been a #1 hit. No doubt about it.

“Road Ode” (July, 1973). This beautiful, solemn song about life on the road would have been a welcome respite from the crap on the radio that summer, with the biggest offenders being “Playground Of My Mind,” the racist (and I love Jim Croce!) “Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown,” and “Get Down.”

“This Masquerade” (July, 1974). This is one of my all-time favorite Carpenters songs. I remember the first time I heard this track, it was in the winter of 1984, and a DJ played it on our local “musak” station that my mother always listened to. I had just started going through my sister’s stack of Carpenters LPs and hadn’t come across this one, yet. I asked her, “is this Karen Carpenter?” Of course it was. I immediately found the Now And Then album and wore out the threads of that vinyl. Beautiful. In fact, had Karen lived, I would have been eager to hear an entire album from the duo covering Russell’s amazing compositions. Who knows? Maybe K&R might have guested on Russell’s recent duet album with Elton John a few years back.

“Desperado” (August, 1975). Instead of “Solitaire,” this should have been the next release after the sublime, top five, “Only Yesterday.” I’ve always thought this song perfectly suited to, either, a woman’s voice, especially Karen’s, or as the beautiful, queer torch song that it was, when sung by Don Henly on the Eagles’ original version. Either way, amazing song, and Karen’s rendering would have made this a top-ten single that fall.

“One More Time” (September, 1976). Instead of “Goofus” as a single, which, if my memory of the newsletters serves me correctly, the FAN CLUB chose as the single (really, fan club? REALLY?!?), this one should have been the follow-up to the under-performing “I Need To Be In Love.” It’s morose, over-the-top, and magnificent. Additionally, it would have been a welcome relief from the radio hits that month, including the horrific, “Disco Duck,” “(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty,” and “One Love In My Lifetime.”

“I Just Fall In Love Again” (May, 1978). This release would have pre-dated Anne Murray’s #12 hit by one year and would have easily gone as high on the Billboard chart, if not higher. Sidebar: I’ve always thought Karen Carpenter and Anne Murray has similar voices. Love them both.

“You’re The One” (April, 1979). Since Richard and Karen were releasing non-album singles at this point, why not release a song that would have been a smash hit in that time frame? Would this song not have fit PERFECTLY with the other hits of that era, most notably, “Stumblin’ In,” “Reunited,” “Love Is The Answer,” and “Honesty,” to name just a few? I have to confess, this song is the most tragically overlooked in their catalogue. When I heard it on the “Karen Carpenter Story” TV movie, I was instantly captivated. Love. This. Song.

[quote="
“Desperado” (August, 1975). Instead of “Solitaire,” this should have been the next release after the sublime, top five, “Only Yesterday.” I’ve always thought this song perfectly suited to, either, a woman’s voice, especially Karen’s, or as the beautiful, queer torch song that it was, when sung by Don Henly on the Eagles’ original version. Either way, amazing song, and Karen’s rendering would have made this a top-ten single that fall.[/quote]

How was it a "queer torch song"? The lyrics have nothing to do with anything sexual or man-man romantic love. It would be either a woman singing about a man or a man singing about a man, but both are from a platonic view.

[quote=" How was ("Desperado") a "queer torch song"? The lyrics have nothing to do with anything sexual or man-man romantic love. It would be either a woman singing about a man or a man singing about a man, but both are from a platonic view.

Thanks for the note, RainyDays. By way of explanation, my brother and I were talking about "Desperado" the other day, as he'd forgotten Carpenters had covered it and was commenting on how much he liked their rendition. The lyrics have always struck me as one side of a conversation between two lovers. Not sure why, I guess they just landed on me that way. I commented to my brother that Karen's iteration was the first I'd heard the song, and in fact, that I hadn't heard Eagles' original version until years later, in the 1990's. At any rate, when I first heard Eagles' version, I thought, "Huh. This song works equally as well in the context of two men having the same romantic conversation." And since then, whenever I hear Eagles' version, that's how I hear the song. I wonder if it was discussed in the recent HBO documentary? Thanks for checking-in!

To me it's always been a third-person song; like a storyteller making a character study. It's not a love song between two people at all, which makes it the same sung by a woman or a man......

Oh, I actually have an addendum to my original list, which makes it, technically, 11 songs...

"Happy," (November, 1975). This song would have been an exceptional, year-end single for 1975, and I believe it would have easily been a top 20, if not top 10 hit that year, right alongside hits that winter, like, "Fly, Robin, Fly," "Island Girl," "The Way That I Want To Touch You," and "(This Will Be) Everlasting Love." I've always thought the song should have been a single and can't believe I left it off my original list!

Help
I Can't Make Music
Happy
You
Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
I'm Still Not Over You
My Body Keeps Changing My Mind
Strength Of A Woman
Jambalaya ( In the US also)
Let Me Be The One

Now 'Help'...! -- There's one I would like to see & I wonder why it wasn't available as a '45'...!

-- Dave

Help would have been a great A-side, but it should have at least gotten a B-side.

I also believe "Intermission" would have been a Top 10 hit too! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom