12:01, a movie with a Carpenters reference

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Back in 1993-94, I saw a TV movie that had a something to do with a glitch in time. It was called 12:01.

I recall taping it to VHS, as we often did in those days, and if I'm not mistaken, it's still somewhere in my VHS tapes on a shelf somewhere. With the recent occurrence of groundhog day, I got to thinking about the movie, as the premise was very similar - and it was made before GROUNDHOG DAY, the movie with Bill Murray about a day that repeats over and over.

The same phenomenon - but for a different reason - happens in 12:01. The protagonist is forced to live the same day over and over again due to a glitch in time caused by a scientific experiment that his employer is part of. The difference here is that he's smitten with an attractive co-worker, who doesn't know he exists. At the end of the workday, she is shockingly killed, and it is his daily repetition that will allow him to attempt to save her.

On one of the daily repetitions, he does manage to save her life, and for the balance of the evening, he attempts to get to know here. Her favorite color, her favorite flower, her favorite musical artist - to which she admits to liking "The Carpenters" and his reply is "Really? You can do better."

So it's not the most complimentary mention - but it is a mention.

When I decided to pull out my old VHS, I realized that VHS tapes aren't all that good-looking these days and decided to investigate whether it's ever appeared on DVD. Well, it did, back in 2006, unbeknownst to me. I found a copy online for a somewhat inflated price, but I felt it was worth it.

Also unbeknownst to me was that someone has uploaded the movie to YouTube in its entirety, so if you care to check it out, it's here:

The only difference between the YouTube version and the DVD is that the DVD is in a 1.85:1 widescreen aspect ratio and the YouTube presents the movie in its 4:3 television ratio, as originally presented on US network TV.

If you've got 100 minutes to kill, you could do worse than this cute little movie.

I’ve never heard of this film but I loved Groundhog Day and am a huge science fiction fan so the whole “glitch in time” theme appeals to me. The other added bonus is Helen Slater in the cast, which I’ve just noticed when looking it up online. I’m going to give this a watch :thumbsup:

"The Carpenters" and his reply is "Really? You can do better." :laugh:

For that one line alone, I am all in!!

Back
Top Bottom