1973 Oldies Medley

Someday

Today I was thinking about Side II of Now & Then ... and wondering if R&K ever recorded a full version of any of the songs from the medley. We do know that they sometimes recorded extra things for their own enjoyment, like portions of the Music, Music, Music show. Given how busy they were around this time, I'm sure not, but can't help wondering ... how fine 'The End of the World' would be as a complete piece! Which of the songs would you like to have been completed? ...

"Our day will come" has always been my favorite from that 1973 medley.
I agree with this totally - there is something simple and sweet (but not too much so) about the melody and lyrics of this song that sets so easily on the ear and suits Karen's soft, warm, effortless delivery - there is a "doubled" version on YT that is very well edited, but Richard could have done the same by inserting a tasteful solo in the middle - his piano is all around this piece as it is anyway, and it would have been a natural extension...

Ironic I just mentioned this idea as a potential third single from Now & Then... Any one of these gems. And with the forcoming Singles album, the entire version could have been included there. Then again - that may have prevented a two week stint at the top of the charts in 1974 with Top....
Would have been lovely to hear entire versions though... ITA...
I feel the same way about "It's Impossible" from the Como special and a couple of the tunes on the MYOKOM medley. I Wanna Be Free and of course, A House is not a Home would have been tremendous full versions.

Last edited:
Ironic I just mentioned this idea as a potential third single from Now & Then... Any one of these gems. And with the forcoming Singles album, the entire version could have been included there. Then again - that may have prevented a two week stint at the top of the charts in 1974 with Top....
Would have been lovely to hear entire versions though... ITA...
I feel the same way about "It's Impossible" from the Como special and a couple of the tunes on the MYOKOM medley. I Wanna Be Me and of course, A House is not a Home would have been tremendous full versions.
You have great taste, @BarryT60! I had even written the fan club and asked for a full version of It's Impossible. Ev (or was it Rosina) told me it was too late to be included on the new album.

You have great taste, @BarryT60! I had even written the fan club and asked for a full version of It's Impossible. Ev (or was it Rosina) told me it was too late to be included on the new album.
What full version!?! Please don't torture me like this! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE? Is it possible?

Next you'll be tormenting me about a full version of her singing Boz Scaggs' WE'RE ALL ALONE! Please say it's so...

She meant that there wasn't time to record it- but that she agreed it'd be a great selection. Sorry to alarm you for nothing! :)

^ I attempted the same with three of their tracks from medleys. The first two are from the live version of the medley.

By the way, in this performance of "Make it easy on yourself", I've always loved how Karen gives us a surprise cameo of her darker and fuller "1969 voice" when she sings "...can't compare with her CARESS..." and also "...make me miss you LESS....". First time I heard that, I was almost shocked it was still there :)
Same in the 1980 medley, be it very brief, in the same song when she sings "..WILL MAKE me miss you less...", there's her more whistful "1971 voice" again for a sec ☺️

Back
Top Bottom