20 Years of A&M Corner

I was able to move the guestbook's data file to the web host, so luckily that was all saved after I moved.

Those crude old guestbooks were very insecure by today's standards. Today, they'd be spammed hundreds of times per day, and there would be nothing we could do about it except shut it down.

Yep, mine will actually be in "either late August, or early, September..." of this year. I had found the Corner earlier in the year, but my crappy AOL couldn't seem to connect over our 300 baud modem!

But late in summer, I did get through and signed the Guestbook.

Yep, mine will actually be in "either late August, or early, September..." of this year.
I remember being in Minneapolis for several days around the Labor Day weekend (we returned home on Labor Day), then coming home to see you had first posted.

Well, we're happy just to have the keys to the Executive Washroom. :)

I just got my 20-year-notice, but I think this may have been my second account.
That got me thinking a bit. We were originally on an old text-based forum that had no login, and it was free for anyone to post there without an account. But the way spammers and trolls started attacking the forums with no way to protect it, we switched over to a newer system in January 2002. So we've been on a login-based system since then.

I think I have all but the first 180 posts from the original text-based forum, but while I keep looking for ways to convert those old posts over, I have yet to find anything that works. So I still have the posts, but not in a format that can be read.

I'd suggest posting a static set of pages with no ability to interact with it, just as historical records, but that's probably also a lot of work.

I'd suggest posting a static set of pages with no ability to interact with it, just as historical records, but that's probably also a lot of work.
I could set it up and disable posting, but it is full of real names, email addresses and other things that many don't want out in public (especially due to spambots that harvest that information). At least if I can import the posts, known members can be merged into existing accounts in the forum, and the rest assigned to "Guest."

That got me thinking a bit. We were originally on an old text-based forum that had no login, and it was free for anyone to post there without an account. But the way spammers and trolls started attacking the forums with no way to protect it, we switched over to a newer system in January 2002. So we've been on a login-based system since then.

I think I have all but the first 180 posts from the original text-based forum, but while I keep looking for ways to convert those old posts over, I have yet to find anything that works. So I still have the posts, but not in a format that can be read.
That explains it. I don’t think I had found the Corner in year one. Maybe year two or three.

I found this site several years back. I think I was doing a search on Sergio Mendes and Brasil'66 and a link for this site popped up.
I signed on the same day after reading some of the posts and have thoroughly enjoyed this site.

And this reminds me that coming up on August 25th or 26th will be the 55th anniversary of day I saw Sergio and Brasil '66 perform their 'HAP' set at the Michigan State Fair; a matinee and evening show, not to mention meeting Lani and Janis between shows and getting Sergio's, Bob's and Joao's autographs after the evening show. November will be the 55th anniversary of the Oakland (Michigan) University concert, where they performed their 'Equinox' set. Glad that I got to see them, but sad that Janis, Joao and Bob are now gone....

I just got official notice it was exactly 10 years ago today that I joined the forum my Goodness and thanks to this forum I learned a lot more things that I didn't know before concerning A&M and music in general as well as other interesting stuff Thanks to Everybody here for making it worth my time to stick around I still enjoy reading the posts here

I just noticed it’s 20 years last Friday since I joined this forum, way back in April 2003. Doesn’t seem five minutes since I was on the old internet dial up and found this place (as well as the now defunct leadsister.com). The Carpenters forum on this site has given me countless hours of pleasure over the years, reading how Richard and Karen’s music has touched everyone’s lives and enjoying the wide, varied and often analytical and technical debate about their music which goes on here, which I particularly enjoy.

Anyone remember this?

EA040B31-AB9F-4071-882D-C1A2CA520FDA.jpeg

927CFFA9-14B4-48C7-A23D-960B8EBC30D6.png

Reminds me that back when I was setting up my first site in late 1995 (?), I was lugging home a computer from work every weekend, since mine was too much of a clunker. Including the heavy CRT monitor. I don't miss that at all!

Reminds me that back when I was setting up my first site in late 1995 (?), I was lugging home a computer from work every weekend, since mine was too much of a clunker. Including the heavy CRT monitor. I don't miss that at all!

The bane of many a life was also someone picking up the house phone right at a crucial moment in a dialogue with friends on MSN Messenger or in the middle of a download.

The bane of many a life was also someone picking up the house phone right at a crucial moment in a dialogue with friends on MSN Messenger or in the middle of a download.
Or worse, having a party line and having to wait until they got done talking before I could connect to CompuServe! 😁

Or worse, having a party line and having to wait until they got done talking before I could connect to CompuServe! 😁
No problem, just sit and watch your After Dark STAR TREK Screensaver!

Back
Top Bottom