20th anniversary Karen Carpenter's death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno

She sang for the hearts of us all.
Too soon and too young our Karen is still.
Bu her echo will linger forever.....

(John Bettis, 1983)

In memory of the finest female voice of the 20.Century.

Bruno

Tomorrow marks the 20th anniversary of the death of Karen Carpenter. It hardly seems like 20 years have gone by. To Richard, I'm sure it seems like yesterday. Many people probably remembered being asked, "What were you doing when you heard the news that President Kennedy was shot?" Well, my friends, I remember only too well what I was doing when I heard the news that Karen was dead. We were in the Cincinnati area at the time and my husband had just lost his job, one where he was due to be vested in their pension plan in only a few months time. And, it was my mother-in-law's birthday. Then the news came on about Karen. Call it a triple whammy!

Tomorrow I'm going to make sure that a span of time is set aside to listen to their recordings and lose myself in that incredible voice. Richard and Karen have left us a marvelous legacy of music! I'm grateful for it everyday. Richard, if you're reading this, I'd like to say "thank you" and to say that I hope you'll continue to write beautiful music. I also wish you happiness, and not least of all, peace of heart.

Marilyn

When Time Was All We Had
(a dedication to Karen)

That endless season
When time was all we had
We saw forever
And caught it in our hands
Life was a charm
Our hearts were filled with music
And laughter
When time was all we had
I never will forget your face in silhouette
Your voice will be the sweetest sounds
I'll ever hear
And yet
We knew somehow the song would never end
When time was all we had to spend

From Richard's album "Time"

It's hard to believe that it's been twenty years since Karen left us. All that time has passed, yet I still miss her as much now as I did then. This is a poem I wrote several years ago...

Since I Heard Her Voice

by Murray Schindel

It seems like only yesterday
That the radio started to play
The songs that I have grown to love so well.
Her voice was soft and clear
It was as if she were near
But now she's gone, she's bid this world goodbye
Now sometimes when I hear those songs I cry.

She is with the angels now
Singing praise to God, and how
He must dearly love her sweet voice that He made.
Although I miss her more each day
As I continue on my way
I take comfort in the peace she's found
No more to her earthly struggles bound.

She sang many songs that have touched my life
Somehow her singing always eased my pain
Since I heard her voice all those years ago
My life has never been the same
And my love for her I must proclaim.

On records she lives on
Almost like she'd never gone
She has given me a gift I can't repay.
No matter how far I may roam
Her voice will be heard in my home
From my life she will never part
Karen will live forever in my heart.

In loving memory of Karen Anne Carpenter (1950 - 1983)
"A star on earth, a star in heaven"

©1997 by Murray Schindel. All rights reserved.

Nice tributes. Like Marilyn, I plan to find some time to just listen to "the voice." It seems like a Treasures kind of day.

Harry

I listened to the radio when her death was first announced, with disbelief. Ten minutes later, the same was again announced. But how, I wondered at the time. It was not until later that day that reasons for her death were suggested. Even though I never knew her, I heard and felt her touch my soul each day I listened to her recordings and was greatly saddened at the loss of this beautiful gift to our world.

Today, when I hear Karen's recordings, I and thankful that they are on CD and DVD for us to celebrate this wonderful song left to all fans. I try to only look to the positive. Each time I listen, I think, what a voice, and that she can truly capture our heart and soul with the impeccable phrasing.

Craig

Its hard to comprehend that 20 years have gone by since the passing of the greatest female vocalist of our time left us.

Today I will listen to all the wonderful tracks Karen laid down for us to remember her by.

I will also screen all my videos of Karen & Richard that I own and think back to a time of when time was all we had and never thought of tomorrow and what tomorrow might be.

Who ever would have thought that Karen would leave us so early on.

I miss her very much, no one can take her place.

Watch a shock her death was! Not just young, but so unexpected, and from an unlikely cause. Listening to their music, it's still hard to believe. She may not have possessed a classic voice, but it was a very pleasing one. For some reason, my fave performance--not necessarily favorite hit--was "For All We Know." Just something in the way she sang it, with a breezy effortlessness that perfectly suited a song from an otherwise forgettable movie.

ED:cool:

Hey Ed, nice to see you over here. I too wanted to welcome you to Rudy's humble abode.

Harry
...who had mono about 26 years ago, online...

Harry said:
...who had mono about 26 years ago, online...

Any connection to your drug selling days? :wtf: :D

At least the Naugas haven't found us here yet...

I've also seen "reechie" around here, but I don't know if he's been back here as of late.

Driving to work this morning, one of the local AM chat stations played tribute to Karen. It was during a segment about "on this day in.." It actually ran longer than usual, and the Karen portion took up almost 75% of the segment. They played clips of Superstar, Only Yesterday and others while talking about her life and death. It was actually very nice. They gave a short synopsis of their hits and career, and one of the DJ's quipped how much he really likes her voice and how amazed he is every time he hears it. It was really nice. The other 25% of the segment mentioned that this was also the day Liberace died (and that's about all they said there) and that Fleetwod Mac's album Rumors was released. But mostly it was about Karen. It was cool.

The station doesn't have the widest audience (not much population here on California's Central Coast) but I am glad that SOMEONE in the industry remembers!

Shortly after Karen' passing, the KAREN ANNE CARPENTER MEMORIAL FOUNDATION was founded, to benefit both anorexia nervosa research and talented musicians.

Does anybody know, if this foundation is still in existence?

Bruno

and when my life is over, remember when we were together, we were alone and I was singing this song for you.....

Bruno, I think all contributions now go to the Performing Arts Center. I can't seem to remember exactly where I read that.

Speaking of the Center, isn't it exciting news about the concert on March 1st?

Marilyn
online, wishing she could go to the concert, somehow ...

Yes, Marylin, I'd like to go to the concert, too. But it's a little expensive! I mean, if it would take place in London, I would take a flight, but flying to the US is a little too much.
:sad:
Bruno
stuck in freezing Germany

It's a long distance for me, too, Bruno! About 3000 miles! I do realize it's a lot more for you. But, we can dream, can't we?

It sounds like you, too, are tired of the cold and white of winter! Tomorrow we are supposed to get four more inches of that four-letter white stuff!

Marilyn
online, again dreaming of daffodils

Bruno, I forgot. Where is Bonn in relation to Hanover? My husband's family is from there. Also, some were from Bremen. I admit my knowledge of geography is terrible.

:confused: Allow me to use this lyric to show my passion for Karen's singing:

Thank you

I want to say thank you
for giving me the best day of my life
Oh.. Just to be with you is having the best day of my life

There is no other singer on earth who has impacted my soul as Karen Carpenter. Her interpretation of song, her lyric abitliy of tone, her range, and the simplicity from which she sang declared her platform that no one since has touched.

Craig

No problem, Marylin..... :)

Bremen and Hannover are both located in the North of Germany, while Bonn is located in the Southwest. So it would take you some hours to get from Hannover to Bonn.

Bonn is really only a small city, but it's very old, it was founded by the Romans. Nearby Cologne (Koeln) is much, much bigger, and it's the Nr.1 media city in Germany nowadays. It's especially famous for it's old cathedral.

Yes, I'm waiting for spring to come.....but will have to wait till March, at least. :sad:

Bruno
just returned from an evening with friends in Cologne

http://www.koeln.de

It's funny you should mention Koeln, Bruno. When my husband first started his new job here in NJ in 1995 his company went there on business. Unfortunately I didn't get to go too! He stayed in a hotel right next to the famous cathedral you mentioned. Bob thought it was an absolutely beautiful city and the only sightseeing he had time to do there was to visit the cathedral, which he said was breathtaking! He also said the hotel was one of the best in the city. Thank goodness it was at company expense!

He had a very interesting trip getting there, I think by railroad and passed many old castles which he would have visited if he could! Maybe someday I, too, will get there. Thanks for the info.

Marilyn

On February 4, 1983, this world lost one of the most talented and precious voices the world has ever known. She and her brother Richard Carpenter touched us with their unique blend of musicianship, harmonies and SOUND
that captivated us for the brief moment in time in the mid seventies and early eighties.

I was particulary grieved when I heard that she had died because I was only 26 at the time and I admired her in such a way that I felt very close to her, I even tried to find out how I could meet with her and her brother. I never attended any of their concerts, and perhaps that would've given me the opportunity to have met this wonderful brother and sister act.

I only wish I could've met Karen in time to have stopped her horrible bout with anorexia in time so that her heart would still be beating today.

We Love You Karen! and I hope and pray I will see you in Heaven, since you were an angel and truly sang like one.

Matt Mattero Ministries
Have A Prayer Request?
http://mattmatteroministries.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom