20th CENTURY MASTERS-CHRISTMAS COLLECTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr J.

Universal(UMG) is continuing the massive 20th CENTURY MASTERS compilation series with a new line of Christmas collections.These new Christmas sets will have the usual 12 songs,and Universal is targeting every artist(presumably) with 2 or more Christmas albums.From the way this looks,I'm thinking Universal is going to do a Carpenters Christmas set.I guess we'll have to keep our eyes open the next 2 month to Know for sure,(or possibly next year!).If they do a Carpenters set,I hope they'll include some CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT cuts with the original mixes.(especially "Ave Maria" without the choir).

I know that it is not part of this series, but I would like to see the Christmas Collection in SuperAudioCD. I recently purchased a dvd player that will play this format and the sound is amazaing. I never would have thought the sound could improve from the way things already sounded, but I was wrong. Would like to see this with A Song For You as well.

Craig

I second that vote. DSD (the digital technology on SACD) is the most analog-sounding digital format I've ever heard. I can imagine having the original Carpenters albums in SACD format...I don't do much with multichannel, but I don't think theirs is the kind of music that would fit it very well.

I'm not playing the format war though--I bought a Pioneer DV-45A "universal" player, which will play DVD-Audio, SACD, MP3, standard CD, Video CD, video DVDs...pretty much anything on a silver disc. DVD-Audio titles sound good, but SACD is just a bit better. My Police SACDs all sound more like the LPs I remember. :)

Listening to Led Zeppelin's How The West Was Won right now in DVD-Audio, in fact...despite the fact that it's only 48kHz/24-bit PCM digital (DVD-Audio's best is 192kHz/24-bit), it still has a nice sound to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom