3 questions for Herb

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Back in November of 2009 when I went to Wharton Center in East Lansing, Michigan to see Herb & Lani in concert, I forgot that I had 3 more questions I wanted to ask Herb. # 1 Have you heard of the late Lawrence Welk's version of "Apples And Bananas" (1965) because is sounds exactly like "The Midnight Tango" (from 1983 "Blow Your Own Horn"). # 2 How did the compilation album cover for "Solid Brass" seems that you taking a blow or something. # 3 How did the song "Brasilla" (from "What Now My Love") does not have the trombone part instead of the marimba part. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I hear a slight similarity in the melody of the Welk song and "Midnight Tango". I've always heard a closer similarity between Herb Alpert's "Behind The Rain" and the theme from the film, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS.

He looked like he was laughing when the photo was snapped for SOLID BRASS.

"Brasilia" was mixed differently along with a number of other songs on WHAT NOW MY LOVE. Some of the trombone or "wet" mix albums were pressed along with the dry mix we hear on the CDs. The dry mix survived to the CD era, but the wet mix is resigned to history on vinyl.

I also have another question # 4 The song "Promenade" (from 1976 "Just You And Me") has the song "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" which I hear is similar. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

First of all, a LOT of songs have some familiarity to other songs. After all, there's only 12 notes in the Western scale so that's just going to happen.

Secondly, our good friend Tony Currie asked both Herb and Jerry about the WNML differences in an interview a few years back (you can do a search on that). Tony even provided a copy of the "wet" version to them. As I recall they weren't really aware of it, but the version that's been reissued is the one that they're sticking with, period.

I also thought Herb was laughing on the SB cover, unless a wave of water splashed him at the time.

The SB cover to me looks like Herb has just been told something surprisingly funny, and is making a "Well, I'll be darned!" kind of expression/motion.

Herb claims to be unaware of different versions of WNML in the Tony Currie interview, but Tony says "I'll send you a CD of it" and beyond that, I've never seen any reference to it. I wonder if Herb actually got said CD and played it? That part of the interview happened before Jerry entered the conversation.

I've been told they really have no recall of alternate versions of the albums. You have to consider the TJB was in a whirlwind at the time, pausing long enough at the studio to knock out an album, then hit the road again while the office took care of getting the production out to the pressing plants and then out to retail. Whatever happened along the way is lost to history. And not really important history at that, outside of a tiny number of collectors out of millions of listeners who would notice or care about the difference. What's out now are considered the "definitive" versions of the albums.

I believe that Herb did receive the CD that I provided, but knowing his lack of interest in things past I wouldn't be at all surprised if he never played it. His attention is almost always taken up with today and tomorrow rather than yesterday. However, I did two interviews with him back in December and he did confess that his all-time favourite track is "A Taste of Honey".

Perhaps the W.N.M.L. "wet" mix had the tendency to wind-up at the Pitman, NJ (Columbia) pressing plant...to serve East Coast vendors moreso; than the "dry"/non-striptease Plucky/non-"answer 'bone" Brasilia had gone to Monarch to serve west of the Mississippi vendors(?).
But A&M *HAD* to know about it: THAT was the copy they sent out between 1968-1972 for the OR-4114 reel to reel to be duplicated from (which, was NOT the one they'd originally sent to the Ampex duping facility in 1966).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom