"30 Greatest Women in Music" on ABC-TV Dec. 31, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesj75

Headline: Karen comes in at #30!

I happened to catch bits and pieces of this ABC show on New Year's Eve. (I stayed home. Does that make me boring?) During this "countdown," the criteria for which were not disclosed, some usual suspects were listed (Aretha Franklin, Madonna, Whitney Houston). Some appeared to be odd choices, and the recency effect appeared to be a skewing factor. I didn't see the beginning of the show, so I missed Karen's segment. Maybe someone else here can enlighten us on her segment... But I did an online search to find the entire list, and Karen came in at #30 (http://thatgrapejuice.net/2013/12/weigh-years-rockin-eve-presents-30-greatest-women-music/).

For Karen to make the list is a mixed blessing. Clearly, Karen Carpenter (as part of the Carpenters) was far more successful than many of the women given higher rankings on this list, and dare I say, had a much better voice arguably than anyone else on this list. But I suppose it's an honor that her voice and career were remembered and acknowledged.

Most worthy additions and replacements to some in that list (in no particular order):

Chrissie Hynde, Ella Fitzgerald, Mary Travers, Patsy Cline, Joni Mitchell, Nana Mouskouri, Dusty Springfield, Judith Durham, Petula Clark, Barbra Streisand, Carole King, Paula Abdul, Dionne Warwick, Olivia Newton-John...

...and the list goes on. If the compilation had been made when any of these ladies were in their prime, they'd have been automatic inclusions.

The 30 who were chosen were all women who had performed on ABC's New Year’s Rockin’ Eve specials over the years. So that's why the list is rather odd in terms of its inclusions and exclusions.

I'm not sure if, for example, Nana Mouskouri would have made it onto a US list as she has never had any hit records here. Ella Fitzgerald (or Jo Stafford, Billie Holiday or Patti Page) belong mainly to the pre-rock era and might fall outside the area covered by this special. It could even be questioned whether Karen Carpenter (or Chrissie Hynde, Deborah Harry, Mary Travers, Nancy and Ann Wilson, or Judith Durham) belong as they were technically members of groups, rather than solo performers; regardless of their worthiness. But I'm glad Karen C. was included, also Gloria Estefan, who often cites Karen as a major vocal influence (and it shows.) No matter who's included and who's not, it's a pretty impressive list.

I'm also glad this web site and its members operate on such a high level after checking out all the schoolyard name-calling at the grapejuice page!

I don't think Karen really belongs on this list-It should have been titled "30 Greatest Women in Modern Music". Karen was from a different era-and belongs in the company of Ella Fitzgerald,Barbra Streisand and Rosemary Clooney.

Any survey of Great Women in Music that doesn't include the likes of Streisand,Ella,or even Dusty Springfield doesn't carry much weight.(btw,I'm not a Streisand or Ella fan-totally viewing this from an unbiased point-of-view.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom