🎵 AotW .38 Special - SPECIAL FORCES (SP-4888)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
.38 Special
SPECIAL FORCES

A&M SP-4888

sp4888.jpg

SIDE ONE

Caught Up in You 4:37 (# 10)
Back Door Stranger 4:54
Back on the Track 4:41
Chain Lightnin' 5:01

SIDE TWO

Rough Housin' 4:08
You Keep Runnin' Away 3:56
Breakin' Loose 3:32
Take 'em Out 4:07
Firestarter 5:01

Donnie Van Zant - lead vocals
Jack Grondin & Steve Brookins - drums
Jeff Carlisi - guitar
Larry Junstrom - bass
Don Barnes - vocals & guitar

Produced and Engineered by Rodney Mills
Entered the Billboard Top 200 on May 29, 1982
Peaked at #10 and charted for 42 weeks

Recorded at Studio One, Doraville, Georgia
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk, New York, New York
Co-produced by Don Barnes & Jeff Carlisi
Additional Engineering by Gregory M. Quesnel

Additional Musicians:

Steve McRay - keyboards
Jim Barnes - harp
Terry Emery - piano
Carol Bristow & Lu Moss - background vocals

Available on CD

JB

Last edited by a moderator:
The success after the punch of "Rockin' Into The Night", was the FM radio-ennui "(So) Caught Up In You", just to succumb to the weepy balladry of "A Heart Needs A Second Chance"... Of which, what doesn't rock out, slowly comes off as the drivel giving a hint of what's to come...

Still, the production & engineering of Rodney Mills at his Studio One in Atlanta GA firmly establishes 'A&M's Lynyrd Skynyrd' as more than just a beefier ARS...

-- Dave

38 Special is one of those bands (to me anyway) where their hit singles were truly their best work. Many bands have lots of great songs that are totally overlooked today because they didn't scale the charts. (Fleetwood Mac, BTO and other 70s bands spring to mind.)

That said -- I don't remember much about this album other than "Caught Up In You," which was a big record. I remember the album was a good seller though.

We saw the band last year in Billings, MT and they played a county fair near here in Powell, WY just recently. I'm hoping to somehow, someway get them booked in here for our fair one of these years. We can afford them....the problem is getting the "old guard" to steer off the country classics track for a change.

I'd have to agree about .38 Special's singles being their best work. My favorite of their singles, though, tend to be their most overlooked, though. "Caught Up in You" was the biggest hit on this album, of course, but I actually prefer "You Keep Runnin' Away" and am not quite sure why that one wasn't a bigger hit (even if it still went Top 40). Great song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom