40/40 world wide release

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuraSYayoi

Today some Japanese sites report that "40/40" will be released in 53 countries (US, UK, China, Korea....) on October 20th. Newspaper site and blog which talks about information aired on TV.

The latest article at Universal Music news page was posted yesterday, no autumn release yet.

Japanese article at newspaper site;
http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/090626/gnj0906260503001-n1.htm

2カ月で約15万枚売り上げ
About 150,000 copies of 40/40 were sold in 2 months.

Sakura

I got mine in the mail....
I don't know if knowing that they are the new format or if it was just I haven't listened to my cds in a while.....but it did sound very clean and clear......really nice!

Dave60640 said:
Will the US version be on SHMCD's as well?

Doubtful. SHM-CD seems to be the province of Japan.

Harry

The US edition, according to Amazon, will delete the "BEST SELECTION" as a subtitle, and just call it 40/40.

51h3DjqxqeL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Order the US release from Amazon here.

Harry

Great cover photo. I always felt that the 'Horizon' photo sessions were the best. Karen would approve!

I believe the track listing will be different. The press release from Universal described the number of top 20 hits in the package, which I calculated would make it different.

Plus, we know that the Japanese track listing had tracks voted in by the Japanese fans, so it's a safe bet that something will be different about this US and/or worldwide editions.

Harry

aaflyer98 said:
Track listing is now posted on Amazon.com for the US Version

Well, they've posted "a" track listing - one that's identical to the Japanese version anyway.

This either means that the US version will have the same track listing, or it means that Amazon has mistakenly posted the wrong track list.

Both are possibilities at this point.

It's a shame that some of these details can get glossed over, some mistakenly remain online perpetually. I think you can still find listings for Carpenters EVERGREEN which was retitled BY REQUEST when it finally came out.

I know there were listings for years of a Herb Alpert compilation for the Latin market called MI HISTORIA that never materialized, but it still remained in databases for years.

If indeed Universals press release is correct, then the US version of 40/40 would have to be different. We should keep on the lookout for other information or confirmation.

Harry

Either I misread the Amazon track listing, or they've now corrected it. I could have sworn that I compared it to the Japanese 40/40 and all looked the same.

But all IS the same except one track. On disc two of the Japanese set, track #18 is "Leave Yesterday Behind". Track #18 in the Amazon list for the US release says "Touch Me When We're Dancing."

That jives with my statement regarding the press release in this thread:

http://forum.amcorner.com/viewtopic.php?t=10256

For reference, the American track listing, according to Amazon is:

51h3DjqxqeL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Order the US release from Amazon here.

Disc: 1
1. Yesterday Once More
2. Superstar
3. Rainy Days And Mondays
4. Top Of The World
5. Ticket To Ride
6. Love Is Surrender
7. Maybe It's You
8. Reason To Believe
9. Where Do I Go From Here?
10. This Masquerade
11. It's Going To Take Some Time
12. One More Time
13. Those Good Old Dreams
14. For All We Know
15. Crystal Lullaby
16. I Believe You
17. (They Long To Be) Close To You
18. Bless The Beasts And Children
19. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
20. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

Disc: 2
1. I Need To Be In Love
2. Now
3. Solitaire
4. Please Mr. Postman
5. Hurting Each Other
6. I Won't Last A Day Without You
7. Sweet, Sweet Smile
8. A Song For You
9. Ordinary Fool
10. When You've Got What It Takes
11. Goodbye To Love
12. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
13. Sing
14. Baby, It's You
15. Let Me Be The One
16. Only Yesterday
17. Jambalaya
18. Touch Me When We're Dancing
19. We've Only Just Begun
20. When It's Gone (It's Just Gone)

Harry

Harry, you didn't misread the Amazon track listing.
I saw the old track list at Japanese site before Harry posted 'it means that Amazon has mistakenly posted the wrong track list.' It was the same as Japanese track list.
(I also thought American release would have "Touch Me When We're Dancing" when I read the American press release.)
Now Amazon.co.jp also has correct list.
41dS8D5%2BPcL._SS400_.jpg

(Amazon posted the obi of "20/20" and some other of August releases, too. Last month I finally noticed Shinseido CD shop has the special Carpenters poster with Richard's handwritten comment for Shinseido. I went to the shop again on 24th. Universal Music Japan post the correct "20/20" will started to be shipped on 24th. Shinseido said it was not shipped yet on the day. The poster had gone. :sad: )

I just watched Richard's appearance on Japanese TV this spring. I don't have the channel. I saw the clip for the first time. Richard was asked about "40/40". 40th Anniversary and 40 tracks. 24 bit remastering SHM-CD.

There were two other programs that aired in this April and I missed. Katsuya Kobayashi hosts one of them, he played Carpenters. He sang "Touch Me" a little bit with Karen in 1981.

Off topic, I just heard #31 “THE OLD SONGS” – Barry Manilow.
Casey Kasem's American Top 40 '80s.
Oct 24, 1981

'70 - #1 Maggie May, #2 Go Away Little Girl
I must miss "Superstar".
Last week I heard "Superstar" a few times on North American Internet radio.

Sakura

Harry said:
But all IS the same except one track. On disc two of the Japanese set, track #18 is "Leave Yesterday Behind". Track #18 in the Amazon list for the US release says "Touch Me When We're Dancing."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:cool:

I have the Japan release 40/40 The Best Selection with the SHM processing, the word appears on the CD inner circle to confirm you have the SHM CD. Been so busy these past few months with a new puppy in the family...so today I finally got around to inporting this CD into my iPod..I had not played the CD in the past few weeks and today it reminded me how impressed I am with the Japan SHM processing. For me...I can hear a big difference. I'm real happy with this set. :thumbsup:
I don't think I will be buying the US version since it's only a difference of 1 song and I'm happy with the SHM.

I'm with you on this Chris. The sound is incredible, and I'm not going to by the US set either, but I am amazed that Touch Me wasn't included in the Japanese release - it was a 'comeback' hit of sorts for them here in the U.S. Was it not the same in Japan?

no1kandrfan said:
I'm with you on this Chris. The sound is incredible, and I'm not going to by the US set either, but I am amazed that Touch Me wasn't included in the Japanese release - it was a 'comeback' hit of sorts for them here in the U.S. Was it not the same in Japan?

I just think it's strange all round that it's not in this set, especially when Richard included obscure, less popular tracks like 'Maybe It's You' and 'One More Time'. And also when you consider that Richard feels it's one of their finest productions.

I think "Touch Me When We're Dancing" was in Top 30 when we voted for this compilation.
I thought Christmas songs should not be included and they disappeared. Richard talked somewhere something like they wouldn't go with #1 to #40 in order.
It was strange to me, too, that "Touch Me" was not included.

Sakura

The track listing on Amazon is the correct listing.Albums get shipped to record stores two to three weeks before the actual release date,and record stores(in this case,Amazon) get advance notice of new releases generally six or seven weeks prior.Amazon posts the track listings as soon as they receive the actual album.
Incidentally,Even though this package is touted as "Voted by fans" Richard must have had some influence on which tracks were actually included.There's no way possible that any K&R fan would vote "Sing","Calling Occupants","Sweet Sweet Smile" and "Please Mr.Postman". as an all-time "Best Selection" recording.In all likelihood,Richard and A&M(Universal) probably wanted to make sure that most of the hit singles were included(as was done on every other comp.)
But,with all that said... This is a great package.Probably the best comp ever assembled.This set has so much of K&R's best work,you could really get rid of most of the studio albums.(if you had all of them).There's a few great tracks left out that should have been included:"Argentina"(no-brainer!),"Sometimes",maybe "Desperado" and "Little Girl Blue".

mr J. said:
The track listing on Amazon is the correct listing.Albums get shipped to record stores two to three weeks before the actual release date,and record stores(in this case,Amazon) get advance notice of new releases generally six or seven weeks prior.Amazon posts the track listings as soon as they receive the actual album.

If only that were all true. Yes, we believe that the Amazon track listing is now correct. As Sakura has testified, originally they posted the Japanese track listing which contained "Leave Yesterday Behind." A short time later, they corrected it to show "Touch Me..." in its place.

mr J. said:
Incidentally,Even though this package is touted as "Voted by fans" Richard must have had some influence on which tracks were actually included.There's no way possible that any K&R fan would vote "Sing","Calling Occupants","Sweet Sweet Smile" and "Please Mr.Postman". as an all-time "Best Selection" recording.In all likelihood,Richard and A&M(Universal) probably wanted to make sure that most of the hit singles were included(as was done on every other comp.)

It appears that this compilation was voted on by Japanese fans and slightly modified for the US.

mr J. said:
But,with all that said... This is a great package.Probably the best comp ever assembled.This set has so much of K&R's best work,you could really get rid of most of the studio albums.(if you had all of them).There's a few great tracks left out that should have been included:"Argentina"(no-brainer!),"Sometimes",maybe "Desperado" and "Little Girl Blue".

I don't know if I'd call it the best ever, I'm pretty partial to the GOLD collection which does indeed contain virtually all of the hits with a smattering of album tracks - if one is looking for "hits".

But nevertheless, this is an interesting, and very listenable compilation with a wide range of both hits and album tracks. The SHM-CD from Japan is very nice indeed. I'll be interested in comparing the sound of this new one with it's SHM-CD counterpart.

Harry

Albums get shipped to record stores two to three weeks before the actual release date,and record stores(in this case,Amazon) get advance notice of new releases generally six or seven weeks prior.Amazon posts the track listings as soon as they receive the actual album.
None of this is set in stone. It varies from album to album and also from one record company to the next. Albums are usually shipped to stores just a couple of days before the street date, to avoid "street date jumping."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom