40/40 world wide release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, so Jeff got the two-disc 40/40 from Japan, not the single disc 20 song version.

Harry

yeah I have the 2 disc set. I misunderstood the "20 " track question. Don't tell me that the Japanese 40/40 The Best Selection shm cd is a bootleg too! LOL. I don't think so as there are two releases. However given my run-o-luck anything could happen. Thoughts?

Jeff

It was just misunderstood in your initial statement that you'd gotten "THE BEST SELECTION". Some interpreted that to mean the single-disc release that followed up 40/40.

But the Japanese 40/40 was also subtitled "THE BEST SELECTION".

I'm sure your copy is probably genuine.

Harry

Well with the shm cd I've decided that it is superior to its American counterpart. There is a definition, a clarity, the diction is impeccable, drums, strings and a host of other instruments are present and the overdubs are highly discernible. I took a rather harsh critics ear and now anticipate the someday purchase of the box-set. This time legit. For starters I'll contact Yuka Ogura and move from there. The price tag is astronomical but to have the entire catalog in this format would be thrilling. Has there been any talk of Universal bringing this technology to American releases? That could save a bunch of dough.

This week - April 22 - marks the one-year anniversary of the initial Japanese release of 40/40. How time flies!

Harry

So, I've had the 40/40 Japanese release since the beginning...but for various reasons I have never REALLY listened to it...
1- short driving distances
2- wife turns music down in the car
3- three children talking
4- listen to favorite songs over and over
5- skipping part or all of less favorites songs

But....today I had to drive a couple of hours to a meeting and so I decided to listen straight through to both CDs.

I think it is great...it seemed like I was hearing certain things for the first time.....a cymbal or flute, etc.....so I am not sure if this release is truly better or if this is the first time in a long time that I just simply listened to a recording....either way, I enjoyed my time alone with the Carpenters.

Well, the Japanese release is an SHM-CD. Maybe you're hearing the difference!

Harry

I don't think there is a difference at all. It's the same mastering as on other releases, and digital 1s and 0s are the exact same whether it's on CD, DVD, Blu-ray, floppy, or digital tape.

Some people also swear that music pressed on 24 karat Gold CDs sound better, however, after comparing a 24 karat gold Carpenters CD with a basic aluminum CD, they sounded exactly the same and the audio waves were exactly the same. Gold CDs probably do last a few years longer than their aluminum counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom