40th Anniversary Box Set - Sweet Sixteen Disc

Lynda

I am revisiting the 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition box set and never put much thought into the "Sweet Sixteen" disc. I am curious if there were any reasons behind the selection of the 16 tracks? Were there any past articles or interviews where Richard may have discussed the compilation? šŸ¤”

I only own a digital copy of that disc, and it was probably supposed to be a catch-all disc of demos, commercials, outtakes and odd versions. It kind-of missed the boat in that department. It did gather some old FROM THE TOP box-set tracks, a single mix or two, and even some generic remixes.

1662301462742.png

Track listing:

1. All I Can Do (Spectrum version)
2. Your Wonderful Parade (demo version)
3. Donā€™t Be Afraid (demo version)
4. All Of My Life (1987 remix)
5. Eve (1987 remix)
6. Let Me Be the One (1990 remix)
7. Intermission (1989 remix)
8. Flat Baroque
9. Santa Claus Is Cominā€™ To Town (1984 remix)
10. Please Mr. Postman (single mix)
11. Morinaga Hi-Crown Chocolate Commercial
12. Solitaire (single version)
13. Tryinā€™ To Get The Feeling Again (1995 cleanup)
14. Good Friends Are For Keeps
15. Suntory Pop Jingle #1/Suntory Pop Jingle #2
16.Medley: Sing/Knowing When To Leave/Make It Easy On Yourself/Someday/Weā€™ve Only Just Begun (from MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC TV special)

I only own a digital copy of that disc, and it was probably supposed to be a catch-all disc of demos, commercials, outtakes and odd versions. It kind-of missed the boat in that department. It did gather some old FROM THE TOP box-set tracks, a single mix or two, and even some generic remixes.

1662301462742.png

Track listing:

1. All I Can Do (Spectrum version)
2. Your Wonderful Parade (demo version)
3. Donā€™t Be Afraid (demo version)
4. All Of My Life (1987 remix)
5. Eve (1987 remix)
6. Let Me Be the One (1990 remix)
7. Intermission (1989 remix)
8. Flat Baroque
9. Santa Claus Is Cominā€™ To Town (1984 remix)
10. Please Mr. Postman (single mix)
11. Morinaga Hi-Crown Chocolate Commercial
12. Solitaire (single version)
13. Tryinā€™ To Get The Feeling Again (1995 cleanup)
14. Good Friends Are For Keeps
15. Suntory Pop Jingle #1/Suntory Pop Jingle #2
16.Medley: Sing/Knowing When To Leave/Make It Easy On Yourself/Someday/Weā€™ve Only Just Begun (from MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC TV special)
It would have been great if it included some unique tracks that weren't already released on the From The Top/Essential Collection sets. A better incentive for people to buy the 40th anniversary set as well.

The 'Sweet Sixteen' CD would have been a perfect place for 'Goodnight' to be included. As we all know here, it was deleted on the updated boxed set from 2002.

Well, I didn't know that. Glad I bought "From The Top" when it came out! Guess I missed out on some things though. Didn't know about vinyl box set or even the 40th anniversary set. I wasn't paying close enough attention. Thought everything had already been released and they were just releasing new compilations.

Itā€™s ā€œCantaā€ the Spanish version of ā€œSingā€
Itā€™s spelled wrong above. Itā€™s on From The Top, and I believe Harry said the 45 is even better! Hard to come by though.

Thanks. She sounds marvelous. Too bad I didn't know about this at the time. I'm sure I would have bought it. But maybe it wasn't available in the USA.

I always thought that Sweet Sixteen was a reference to when Karen recorded and released her first music and the world got to hear her voice for the first time.

Although these songs donā€™t appear, Looking for Love and Iā€™ll Be Yours weā€™re released in 1966 which would have made Karen 16. It all started at Sweet Sixteen.

I donā€™t think the track listing was suppose to be any specific reference though except that you have many popular Japanese tracks like the soda pop and chocolate commercials and other radio jingles.

Since Japan has sourced other 7ā€ vinyl on box sets, Canta would have made a very welcome addition to Sweet Sixteen.

Question for Chris M. would Richard have this alternate version of Canta on this 45 rpm on a master tape or is this exclusive and only pressed to this 45? Does Richard not care for this complete version for him to never have released it. I would think with his extensive collection he would have this 45 rpm and it could be converted to digital format for a released on future collection.

I always thought that Sweet Sixteen was a reference to when Karen recorded and released her first music and the world got to hear her voice for the first time.

Although these songs donā€™t appear, Looking for Love and Iā€™ll Be Yours weā€™re released in 1966 which would have made Karen 16. It all started at Sweet Sixteen.

I donā€™t think the track listing was suppose to be any specific reference though except that you have many popular Japanese tracks like the soda pop and chocolate commercials and other radio jingles.

Since Japan has sourced other 7ā€ vinyl on box sets, Canta would have made a very welcome addition to Sweet Sixteen.

Question for Chris M. would Richard have this alternate version of Canta on this 45 rpm on a master tape or is this exclusive and only pressed to this 45? Does Richard not care for this complete version for him to never have released it. I would think with his extensive collection he would have this 45 rpm and it could be converted to digital format for a released on future collection.
The Parting of Our Ways & Iced Tea were also from 1966 when she was 16; Caravan has Karen at 15!

I always figured that it was just because there was 16 songs. The idea of "bonuses" is quite nice and the updates to the GOLD DVD were great as well.

Back
Top Bottom