40th Anniversary of "Christmas Portrait"

Simon KC1950

One of the greatest Christmas albums of all time, a biggest seller each year, "Christmas Portrait" will be turning 40 this Christmas time.

Are there any plans to celebrate this? A re-issue on vinyl maybe? Or even a re-issue containing bonus material that was recorded and not used on both the album and the tv specials like "Play A Simple Melody" and "Ald Lang Syne".

Any Other ideas of how it could be celebrated?

Well Richard did say on the AP video from the Vinyl Collection that he didn't know why CP was not included in the Vinyl Collection but maybe to celebrate another anniversary we could remaster/remix the whole thing and release it on it's own. Maybe something is in the works that we don't know about much like the RPO that was a complete surprise.

Does anyone else feel like we are in a resurgence of Carpenters music lately? It's great, huh?

Well if the wanted to put out the original mixes for Christmas Portrait they would just need to get a West German CD and make the master from that. Sure it wouldn’t be as good as coming from the original analog masters, but it would be like going from an 80’s digital master.

Ok, I contacted Richard asking if he is aware of any plans for this.... His Secretary got back to me, saying that there are no plans to commemorate it because he is already busy on a project being released at Christmas time.

Ok, I contacted Richard asking if he is aware of any plans for this.... His Secretary got back to me, saying that there are no plans to commemorate it because he is already busy on a project being released at Christmas time.

It was after all Karen's "solo" project.

Anyone here in the South West, UK? The choir I run is doing a little 40th Ann Tribute to Christmas Portrait in December. Having listened to this perfect album for nearly thirty years, it's been a thrill listening to the choir sing these songs 'live'. Some of the pieces are proving more difficult than we realised and I'm thinking the singers are starting to build a new appreciation of R&K's talent. Of course, and sadly, none of them had heard of Christmas Portrait prior to rehearsals starting two weeks ago!

Back
Top Bottom