48 Years Of Carpenters - whats next?

Simon KC1950

Today is the 48th Anniversary of the Carpenters signing with A&M Records. Since then we have had a huge amount of releases due to their hard work and Love of music. But what do we see coming in the future.
well there's...

-the New Vinyl Box Set of studio albums on it's way soon
-Richard has confirmed to me via letter that he will be making plans for the 50th Anniversary over the next couple of years.
-He has stated that he is working on new arrangements and will be recording them soon
-Joe Osborn has been working on a "Richard Carpenter album"

Then there's things we can speculate about:

-the release of 'new' Carpenters materials
-new compilations', box sets, DVDs
-Richards Christmas album

Anybody know of anything for definite coming up? Or even just hoping ?

Some of the things on my "wish list":
  • A theatrical biopic based on the life of Karen Carpenter. She is still a compelling figure and I believe it would do well at the box office. It would have to be done well, Ron Howard a suggestion as director, he did a real good job with "A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, Catch Me If You Can, etc. The screenplay could be based on the Coleman & Schmidt books and/or other material. Maybe Oliver Stone could do the screenplay and direct it (don't laugh). The lead actress would have to sing and look the part. I have some actresses in mind. Getting the rights to use their songs would be "tricky" needless to say. If done well, accurately, fairly, honestly...It could be a lasting tribute to Karen and spark renewed interest in The Carpenters music and solidify a positive legacy.
  • An autobiography from Richard. Not just spewing "facts" like an encyclopedia, but opening up his soul.
  • Downey, California should honor the duo. I am thinking of a bronze statue of them in the lobby of the city hall or if not there, at Downey High School. Indoors, so it doesn't get vandalized. I think a statue cast in bronze of them during their 1971 BBC TV appearance, a replica of Richard at the grand piano and Karen standing next to him with microphone in hand. They have a bronze statue of John Steinbeck at Cannery Row in Monterrey, CA that is really well done.
  • Anything form Richard not previously released. Hopefully to coincide with their 50th anniversary.

I think they should be honored in their hometown of New Haven, CT also. My wife and I visited their childhood home on Hall Street many years ago and even met Karen's childhood friend Debbie Vaiuso and her mother who were wonderful. Checked out the small plaque at the Nathan Hale School where Debbie was a teacher and was kind of embarrassed that this was the only honor bestowed upon the Carpenters in their native city. New Haven is also the birthplace of Michael Bolton if anyone cares : )

A theatrical biopic based on the life of Karen Carpenter. She is still a compelling figure and I believe it would do well at the box office.

Being in the movie biz, myself, I think I would be more hesitant about the boxoffice prospects of a biopic, mostly due to the unavoidable, exceptionally sad ending. Not many music-artist biopics are theatrical successes anyway, and most the ones that are, have the subject artist either making a spectacular comeback ("Coal Miner's Daughter" comes to mind) or going off into a well-deserved retirement. On the other hand, "Sweet Dreams" (about Patsy Cline) ends with a plane crash, so anything is possible I guess. But it would be a big risk.

Hi
wishful thinking.
Howabout Richard writing a Book not a Biography but a year by year of Carpenters career starting in 1969 to 1983 or beyond.This could include Behind the scenes stories etc concerts/Tv appearances.Chart facts ,Photos,interviews,reviews,International success etc.

Hi
wishful thinking.
Howabout Richard writing a Book not a Biography but a year by year of Carpenters career starting in 1969 to 1983 or beyond.This could include Behind the scenes stories etc concerts/Tv appearances.Chart facts ,Photos,interviews,reviews,International success etc.

I'd love to see him (or a Carpenters expert) write a book similar to the one Carl Magnus Palm wrote about ABBA, called "The Conplete Recording Sessions". In it, he exhaustively details every track from every recording session in their career, including details of unreleased alternate mixes, demos and outtakes and peppered with anecdotes and stories about their TV appearances and live shows. I can't see Richard ever having the inclination to do it and if someone else wrote it, they would obviously need access to the vaults to listen to all the master tapes and a lot of them are now gone.

Back
Top Bottom