🥂 50th 50 Songs That Defined A&M Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
We don't have a list as of yet, but with some debate between all of us members, I thought I would start off this conversation in order to get ideas to compile a list of 50 songs that defined A&M Records.

These shouldn't be favorites of yours (although they can be), but instead, songs that were landmark recordings for A&M. A few examples for the list so far, to get an idea of what we're looking for:

"The Lonely Bull" - Herb Alpert & The TJB: the single (a #6 hit at that!) that put A&M on the map.

"(They Long To Be) Close To You" - Important for being the first #1 single for A&M, Carpenters, and the composing duo of Bacharach/David.

The Police: "Every Breath You Take" - A&M's biggest hit in terms of chart performance.

Procol Harum: "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Marked A&M's entry into British rock.

"Rise" - Herb Alpert: a rebirth of sorts for Herb's chart career, and also a part of pop culture due to being a club hit as well as a central part of a daytime soap opera.

"Wave" - Antonio Carlos Jobim: "the master" himself debuts on A&M with one of his best-known signature tunes.

"God Save The Queen" - The Sex Pistols: an important part of A&M's history. Record Collector magazine named the single the most collectible single of all time, due to its rarity. The record also showed A&M's gutsy move in signing a raw punk band, and also showed their character by dumping the group after their "bad boy" behavior (wreaking havoc at A&M's London office) in order to avoid being associated with the m.

"Mas Que Nada" - Brasil '66: while there are a lot of other songs, this debut hit set the tone for Sergio's most successful formula to date, as well as the sound of popularized Brazilian music for A&M.

"What Have You Done For Me Lately?" - Janet Jackson: while A&M had dabbled in R&B, funk and disco from the mid 70s onward, Jackson's LP Control not only launched her "real" career (after two pleasant but overlooked earlier LP on A&M), it set the stage for A&M as a major player in this kind of music. Jackson also came into her own, rather than being marketed as "Michael's baby sister," through a series of gutsy tracks produced by Minneapolis wunderkinds Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

"Find One Hundred Ways" (or "Just Once") - James Ingram/Quincy Jones: the best example of smooth L.A. styled downtempo pop R&B, and timeless classic.

"Call Me" - Chris Montez: from pop hit artist to young crooner, this personified A&M's mid 60s sound.

"Feels So Good" - Chuck Mangione: one of the earliest and most popular examples of "pop jazz" (which would eventually turn into "smooth jazz" decades later).

There are likely plenty of others we can list, but it is not necessary to pick all early artists (I'd hardly call Sandpipers or Claudine "hits" artists, for instance) just to have them represented in a list. But there are hundreds of other artists, and many made their own impression on A&M's sound and history. My knowledge isn't wide enough to go much further with this list, so I'm throwing this out there for feedback and a hopefully a lot more ideas to work with. (Or you may even try to talk me out of one of my picks! :wink: )

"(They Long To Be) Close To You" - Important for being the first #1 single for A&M, Carpenters, and the composing duo of Bacharach/David.

aaaaaaannnnnnnhhhhhhh [Buzzer sound] The first #1 single for A&M, Bacharach/David, and Herb Alpert was "This Guy's In Love With You". "Close To You" was the first #1 for Carpenters.

But we'll forgive you.

Harry

Would you consider "It's Too Late" by Carole King an important landmark single for A&M, even though it was on the Ode imprint? It was recorded at A&M Studios and was a killer single from the landmark, multi-Grammy winning TAPESTRY album. In foreign territories, it even appeared on ochre A&M/Ode labels.

Harry

I'd also nominate "Never Gonna Let You Go" by Sergio Mendes, marking his return to the label in the '80s and charting at #4.

"Love Will Keep Us Together" -- Not only a major hit for A&M Records in accordance w/ what this topic demands, but simply the #1 hit for the year 1975--and the A&E Biography on Neil Sedaka (who wrote it, and originally recorded & performed it) even showed it on a white-labeled A&M Promo '45'... The song was also covered by Andy Williams and even The Tubes (on A&M, as well)...!

But another one I would like to nominate, if it is in a bit of an obscure category would be "Guantanamera" by The Sandpipers... --Just one of the first interpretations of the legendary Pete Seeger folk song (on the life & times of Cuban revolutionary Jose Marti) and it happened on A&M...!

-- Dave

"Love Will Keep Us Together" -- Not only a major hit for A&M Records in accordance w/ what this topic demands, but simply the #1 hit for the year 1975--and the A&E Biography on Neil Sedaka (who wrote it, and originally recorded & performed it) even showed it on a white-labeled A&M Promo '45'... The song was also covered by Andy Williams and even The Tubes (on A&M, as well)...!

But another one I would like to nominate, if it is in a bit of an obscure category would be "Guantanamera" by The Sandpipers... --Just one of the first interpretations of the legendary Pete Seeger folk song (on the life & times of Cuban revolutionary Jose Marti) and it happened on A&M...!

-- Dave

Seconding Dave's nominations, I'm reminded of another early single that's still relevant today, played on countless easy listening radio stations. It's the timeless "You Were On My Mind" by We Five. The masses today have no clue who We Five is or was, but play that record and they'll instantly recognize it - very much like "Guantanamera".

We Five's hit was a top ten, peaking at #3 and was one of the earliest non-Alpert hits on the label.

Harry

"Roxanne" - The Police (Outlandos d'Amour), a song that defined the mislabeled term of "punk" for A&M - maybe more correctly was "new wave".

"Do You Feel Like We Do" - Peter Frampton (Frampton Comes Alive!) - Arena rock at its finest.

Capt. Bacardi

"Mexican Shuffle," by Herb & the TJB, for obvious reasons. An incredible breakout for the TJB and for A&M into national TV commercial consciousness.

In the same vein, "Tijuana Taxi" and "Spanish Flea." Songwriters Sol Lake and Julius Wechter were making the A&M sound from the start.

Mike A.

"Mexican Shuffle," by Herb & the TJB, for obvious reasons. An incredible breakout for the TJB and for A&M into national TV commercial consciousness.

In the same vein, "Tijuana Taxi" and "Spanish Flea." Songwriters Sol Lake and Julius Wechter were making the A&M sound from the start.

Mike A.

Though undoubtedly "Taxi" and "Flea" were important to Alpert & Co., after "Mexican Shuffle", I'd go with "A Taste Of Honey" as the more important single for the label. While "Shuffle" reminded the world that the Tijuana Brass wasn't a one-hit wonder, "A Taste Of Honey" put them into the stratosphere of important recordings.

If there's room on the fifty-record list, them I'd go with "Taxi" and "Flea".

Harry

If we're going to include imprints like Ode (and I think we should) then the Go-Go's "Our Lips Are Sealed" gets a nod for being the first girl group that played their own instruments to go #1, the first #1 for I.R.S. And I'd add R.E.M.'s "Radio Free Europe" since it's the groundbreaking debut single by the trend-setting indie-rock band and a cornerstone of the the Athens, GA sound. (Never mind that the version on I.R.S. was a re-do of thier iny self-pressed version that garnered thier initial buzz on the college radio circuit). If we add Word Record group then Amy Grant would likely snag a spot somewhere in the 50...

Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends "Love So Fine"... A&M's First at Sunshine Pop--and I think before it was ever attempted by any other label!

Think of how it started off as an instrumental on Herb Alpert's Ninth (A&M SP 4134) before it was done by the group as A&M SP 4139!!!!

Two notable covers exist: Don Costa (as an instrumental on his LP, The Don Costa Concept) and vocally by The Carnival in 1969...

If that doesn't get you, then the short-running time that the song's "plot" gets to the point, surely will!!!!

-- Dave

I second (or third) "Guantanamera," "You Were on my Mind," "Our Lips Are Sealed," "Radio Free Europe" and "Love Will Keep Us Together."

I'd also nominate:

--Brasil 66 "The Look of Love" -- the biggest hit version of one of the most iconic songs of the 60s
--Carpenters "For All We Know" -- not only a big hit but also won the Oscar for best song
--Supertramp - "Breakfast in America" -- title track of a landmark album still regarded as an all-time classic
--Fine Young Cannibals - "She Drives Me Crazy" -- was so ubiquitous when it came out it has to qualify as "landmark"

P.S. to Dave--Don't forget Tony Hatch and Jackie Trent's cover of "Love So Fine." I think it might be my favorite.

Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends "Love So Fine"... A&M's First at Sunshine Pop--and I think before it was ever attempted by any other label!

Think of how it started off as an instrumental on Herb Alpert's Ninth (A&M SP 4134) before it was done by the group as A&M SP 4139!!!!

-- Dave

Dave, it's a great song...but actually, A&M and Roger were late to the Sunshine Pop party...it happened in the spring of '67, just before the Summer of Love. Ninth was released in late '67, and Roger's LP in early 1968.

By the way, Pete Jolly's version is a knockout, too! Should have been a hit for someone...

Dave, it's a great song...but actually, A&M and Roger were late to the Sunshine Pop party...it happened in the spring of '67, just before the Summer of Love. Ninth was released in late '67, and Roger's LP in early 1968.

By the way, Pete Jolly's version is a knockout, too! Should have been a hit for someone...

I should say Roger was late to the Sunshine Pop party...A&M wasn't..."Sunshine Girl" by The Parade hit in April, 1967.

Okay, so off the top of my head, in roughly chronological order:

1) "The Lonely Bull" (for kicking it off)

2) "You Were On My Mind" (has there been a day since 1965 that this hasn't gotten radio play?)

3) "A Taste of Honey" (the first mega-hit for the TJB)

4) "Diddy Wah Diddy" (Captain Beefheart on A&M? It showed that even in '66, the label could rock...and it got 5 weeks on KHJ, Los Angeles' Boss 30)

5) "Guantanamera" (an instant standard)

6) "This Guy's In Love With You" (first #1 single...#10 the first week at KHJ, #4 the second, #1 the third)

7) "The Look of Love" (Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 cross over to Top 40...it went to #2 at KHJ, as did "Fool On The Hill")

8) "Black Pearl" (A&M's first big soul hit)

9)"(They Long To Be) Close To You" (another instant standard)

10)"All Right Now" (A&M's first big hard-rock hit)

11)"It's Too Late" (one more instant standard)

12)"You Are So Beautiful" (ditto)

13)"Love Will Keep Us Together" (HUGE hit...and the first time I heard it I said "I'll bet that's on A&M")

14)"Do You Feel Like We Do" (A&M establishes itself in multi-platinum land)

15)"Rise" (a hit record nobody saw coming)

16)"Every Breath You Take" (Alternative becomes mainstream in record time)

17)"What Have You Done For Me Lately" (utterly contemporary mid-80s dance music)

I would add "School" by Supertramp. Their album Crime of the Century was A&M's first real big seller in the art-rock format. I don't think that song was ever a single but it definitely got lots of airplay back when FM was the "alternative" to top-of-the-charts pop music.

And, Cat Stevens' "Wild World" (or substitute one of the hits from the Teaser and the Firecat album); he was their biggest artist in the singer-songwriter vein.

For Peter Frampton, I would really suggest the pop radio-friendly brevity of "Show Me The Way" over "Do You Feel...?", but both do convey a good arena rock feel--owed to Frampton's offering really being one the best double-Live Rock LP's of its time--and that A&M was fortunate to have, if it mainly did further Frampton's career...! (And that squawking talk box--a novel device...!)

"Peace Train" is what I think would be the ideal Cat Stevens song, too--love that guitar work & bought a well-worn ocre label '45' just to learn to play it! What defined A&M and Stevens, alike...!

-- Dave

"Peace Train" is what I think would be the ideal Cat Stevens song, too--love that guitar work & bought a well-worn ocre label '45' just to learn to play it! What defined A&M and Stevens, alike...!

-- Dave

I think I have to agree. While "Wild World" and "Moonshadow" were out before "Peace Train", I think "Peace Train" really created an image.

Don't forget "Morning Has Broken" as a powerful Cat Stevens track, still played endlessly on countless radio stations. All are really good choices.

Harry

--Fine Young Cannibals - "She Drives Me Crazy" -- was so ubiquitous when it came out it has to qualify as "landmark"

"She Drive Me Crazy was actually after I.R.S. Records ended thier distribution deal with A&M and is actually (technically) and I.R.S./MCA release...

--Mr B

It's nice to see...because the TJB...pure and simple,
is the foundation of A&M. The rest that follows, is the history......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom