🥂 50th 50th Anniversary and nothing mentioned as yet?.

Wayne Crozier

I find it quite surprising that we are nearly half a way through 2019 and nothing special has been mentioned yet?, I thought there may have been a Japanese Box set at least being discussed or in the pipeline but nothing at all as far as I can see. The only two imminent releases are the two vinyl albums but they were planned and released last year. I find this very puzzling?.

With all of the promotional focus earlier this year on the RPO album, they may not have wanted to flood the market with competing product right now. They could still do a "50th" celebration next year commemorating the anniversary of their breakout success with "Close to You" as opposed to the signing of their A&M contract.

I find it quite surprising that we are nearly half a way through 2019 and nothing special has been mentioned yet?, I thought there may have been a Japanese Box set at least being discussed or in the pipeline but nothing at all as far as I can see. The only two imminent releases are the two vinyl albums but they were planned and released last year. I find this very puzzling?.

Yes, VERY puzzling. I believe the RPO project is as good as it is going to get. That is, for the people who got the CDs. You would think the 50th Anniversary would warrant some "special" attention. More weird dynamics in Carpenterland...

With all of the promotional focus earlier this year on the RPO album, they may not have wanted to flood the market with competing product right now. They could still do a "50th" celebration next year commemorating the anniversary of their breakout success with "Close to You" as opposed to the signing of their A&M contract.

You know, you may be right. That's a very valid point as the RPO album is still charting.

I would think a lot of record buyers would plump for an album that commemorates the anniversary of their first big hit rather than the anniversary of them signing with some label or other. To us, it's a big deal. To the general public? I highly doubt it. It would be a lot more eye-catching and impactful to advertise a collection as commemorating "The 50th anniversary of the release of Close To You", as so many people are so familiar with the song. That has much more of the "wow" factor.

^^ Amen! Props to Randy. He did a complete discography that RC should've and could've done which he didn't do and he has the DEFINITIVE biography on our beloved Karen (written with compassion and objectivity). AND he showed up to the 50th event AND even did tour bus narrations over the PA!!

Here's an idea for a "50th" release....how about a CD set with the "47 takes" of "Close To You" that Richard is fond of mentioning... with 3 bonus tracks!

Seriously, I would love to hear the "original" recordings of that song before the Wrecking Crew guys were brought in.

^^Mike, that is nothing short of brilliant (seriously)! Karen drumming on those "takes". Then we can all be the judge as to whether Hal Blaine should've been brought in because Karen didn't have the "chops" for the final recording! I would pre-order, have my money in limbo for an entire year if that would ever come to fruition!!:)

I hate to say/suggest this...I really do...but the record label should, for their benefit, put out a 50th Anniversary compilation CD (yes, I know...ANOTHER "greatest hits" package) a-la the 40/40. Hype up the 50 years of Karen's amazing voice and Richards genius arrangements. Perhaps repackage the "Complete Singles" for commercial consumption (not just PBS pledges) and really market the 50th Anniversary angle. It wouldn't really cost all that much to produce and, for those who can't afford it with a minimum $120 pledge to PBS, tap into a pent-up market for the ORIGINAL mixes, etc. Throw in a commemorative booklet with some "rarish" pictures through the years; a retrospective written by Richard, and complete track listing with dates of release, chart action, etc. to make it "special." Perhaps charge only $49.95 plus shipping and handling (do this as a TV promotion...saturate the airwaves) and then later release it in stores.

Even Gordon Lightfoot (who is still alive and touring at 80 years old) touted his 50 year recording anniversary a couple years back. It's a marketing opportunity that is going untapped!

Some album favorites with new orchestration could be the ticket if there is still an unreleased song to bring forward in the mix. It might feel like ‘Interpretations’ and with key people no longer around, it may not be the best idea. We already have things I never thought we would be possible released in the last few years. On the other hand, a newish package might sell better today than it did 20 years ago since nostalgia seems to take over in popularity with PBS type project promotions in a 50th Celebration. The RPO was a perfect project. I wish there was another coming then focus on Volume 1 and 2. - just random thoughts!

Maybe Richard and his family will just go out for a nice dinner, maybe invite Herb and Lani and Jerry Moss and his wife, and they'll swap stories about Karen and talk about the music and the crazy times and the journey that led them all to where they are today. An anniversary celebration doesn't need to involve the fans.....necessarily.

Just a thought, I don't mean to dump on anyone's anniversary dreams, but my little movie theater (pictured in my avatar) celebrated 80 years in business a few years ago and to celebrate, we didn't do a big "thing" -- my wife and i just went out for dinner with my former business partner, so that came to mind.

Back
Top Bottom