🥂 50th 50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast*

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

• Downey

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Thousand Oaks

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Long Beach

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

ringves

In the last couple of weeks I've spoken to a few fans regarding the 2019 celebration. One of the decisions which needs to be made early on is where to base the event.

The 1999 event was based in Downey and there was at least one tour bus which took fans around to the various sites which were important to the Carpenters' story. Most of you who attended that event will recall that Richard DID show up one evening to mingle with the attendees. It should be emphasized, however, that his appearance was not guaranteed or pre-planned in any way. He lived nearby and decided to attend the event on the spur of the moment.

Most of the fans I have spoken to so far have expressed interest in having bus transportation available again to visit sites in Downey, Thousand Oaks and Long Beach. So my own thinking is that if there is going to be travel between these cities anyway, the event should be based in Thousand Oaks in order to improve the likelihood that Richard may decide to drop by as he did in 1999. Again, it needs to be emphasized that he is not involved in the organizing of this event, nor has he made any commitment to put in an appearance.

So with this background information and recognizing that it is important to get feedback from a wider group of people on the subject of "where to base the event", I thought it would be a good idea to set up a poll.

In responding to this poll, I think you can safely assume that there will be a bus (or two) to take fans between Downey, Thousand Oaks and Long Beach regardless of which city is selected as "home base".

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

In the last couple of weeks I've spoken to a few fans regarding the 2019 celebration. One of the decisions which needs to be made early on is where to base the event.

The 1999 event was based in Downey and there was at least one tour bus which took fans around to the various sites which were important to the Carpenters' story. Most of you who attended that event will recall that Richard DID show up one evening to mingle with the attendees. It should be emphasized, however, that his appearance was not guaranteed or pre-planned in any way. He lived nearby and decided to attend the event on the spur of the moment.

Most of the fans I have spoken to so far have expressed interest in having bus transportation available again to visit sites in Downey, Thousand Oaks and Long Beach. So my own thinking is that if there is going to be travel between these cities anyway, the event should be based in Thousand Oaks in order to improve the likelihood that Richard may decide to drop by as he did in 1999. Again, it needs to be emphasized that he is not involved in the organizing of this event, nor has he made any commitment to put in an appearance.

So with this background information and recognizing that it is important to get feedback from a wider group of people on the subject of "where to base the event", I thought it would be a good idea to set up a poll.

In responding to this poll, I think you can safely assume that there will be a bus (or two) to take fans between Downey, Thousand Oaks and Long Beach regardless of which city is selected as "home base".

Hi Robert,
As I had mentioned to you previously, I would recommend Thousand Oaks for the event...not just because I am a resident. To be honest, Downey is far from what it used to be in terms of crime and safety as is most of Long Beach. Thousand Oaks is a nice town and Westlake Village where Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks is an even better 'step up' ! In fact, there are a couple of nicer hotels / suites right down the street and it is walking distance to food and shopping too. In Thousand Oaks there is a nice Best Western and in Newbury Park which is adjacent, there are both a Marriot Suites and a Courtyard. From what I've heard, Richard lives in 'North Ranch' which is a posh gated community. My husband's office is just a couple of feet away from where Karen, Harry, and Agnes remain and has told me that there are very few visitors. And I also mentioned to you that there is a small sculpture garden in front of where our local performing arts center is and there is a big wall that says "Mary and Richard Carpenter".
I hope this information will be helpful !

my vote is thousand oaks. I can't think of much left in downey to be relevant, I would expect most of the attractions from 20 years ago are gone or are in tatters.

Richard and his family have been gracious and receptive to fans. thousand oaks would most likely offer the best opportunity to celebrate, and I bet the Japanese fans have something up their sleeves.

My vote goes for Thousand Oaks as I'd really like to visit Karen's new resting place (I only saw the old one at Forest Lawns). I do think a day trip down to Downey is a must though, it coudl take in a visit to what's left of Newville Avenue, the Carpenter Performing Arts Center, their Hollywood star, the Close To You and Only Just Begun apartments and maybe other places like the former A&M Records building and Karen's apartment block in Century City.

With regards to the Carpenter Center, it would be amazing if there could be a visit to the exhibition. I went many years ago and didn't realise it's only open on certain days, so I'd gone all that way and didn't get to see what I was looking forward to the most!

Carpenter Performing Arts Center › Richard & Karen Carpenter Exhibit

From what I've heard, Richard lives in 'North Ranch' which is a posh gated community.

Richard lives about 10 minutes drive from North Ranch and Pierce Brothers Memorial Park.

My vote goes for Thousand Oaks as I'd really like to visit Karen's new resting place (I only saw the old one at Forest Lawns). I do think a day trip down to Downey is a must though, it coudl take in a visit to what's left of Newville Avenue, the Carpenter Performing Arts Center, their Hollywood star, the Close To You and Only Just Begun apartments and maybe other places like the former A&M Records building and Karen's apartment block in Century City.

With regards to the Carpenter Center, it would be amazing if there could be a visit to the exhibition. I went many years ago and didn't realise it's only open on certain days, so I'd gone all that way and didn't get to see what I was looking forward to the most!

Carpenter Performing Arts Center › Richard & Karen Carpenter Exhibit

Richard lives about 10 minutes drive from North Ranch and Pierce Brothers Memorial Park.
I concur that a scheduled visit should be arranged to the Carpenters Center at Long Beach. The same thing happened to me earlier this year as I was out there at a work conference and could not get into the exhibit due to it being closed and having very limited visiting hours, really by-request only - very disappointed!

I voted for Thousand Oaks. The suburban LA area is a congested concrete jungle. Most of the time, the traffic is horrendous. It think fans would be a lot more comfortable in TO. Has a "rural" feel to it. I very much would like to see the Performing Arts Center at Long Beach State and the Carpenter mausoleum. I am a little leery about the Newville Ave home as the sheer number of fans descending on that little cul-de-sac could start a mini riot:yikes:. If the bulk of the activity is centered around TO, it would be more "Richard friendly" to make an appearance. Perhaps buses could be chartered to take people to these different venues.

I've changed my mind. Thousand Oaks sounds perfectly reasonable for many of the above reasons. How exciting to meet you guys. I'm going to represent the great Pacific Northwest. Anybody else with preliminary plans?

How exciting to meet you guys. I'm going to represent the great Pacific Northwest. Anybody else with preliminary plans?

I'm planning to attend from the UK, I'm thinking of doing this as part of a two week railway trek across parts of the US.

Has anyone thought about potential dates yet?

I'm planning to attend from the UK, I'm thinking of doing this as part of a two week railway trek across parts of the US.

Has anyone thought about potential dates yet?
Excellent,
An all -star International CarpenterS Fan Club reunion. This is getting better and kinda titillating.

I vote for Long Beach. The museum is there, a stage is there, and a grand piano is available. Think of the possibilities

I vote Thousand Oaks. Don't forget, too, Richard's Yesterday Once More warehouse of classic automobiles is next door in Newbury Park. Would be awesome if a tour of that facility could be arranged? On a side note, there's a great microbrewery just over the pass in Camarillo. It's called Institution Ale House, serves food, and may be a good place to hold a dinner/event. Just a tip.

I vote Thousand Oaks. Don't forget, too, Richard's Yesterday Once More warehouse of classic automobiles is next door in Newbury Park. Would be awesome if a tour of that facility could be arranged? On a side note, there's a great microbrewery just over the pass in Camarillo. It's called Institution Ale House, serves food, and may be a good place to hold a dinner/event. Just a tip.

I meant to include the car warehouse in my post above, but wasn't sure quite where it was located. That would be a great inclusion if Richard was so generous as to allow us a glimpse inside. I'd settle for a picture of the outside of the building :laugh:

P.S. Love the sound of the Institution Ale House, they've even got a tasting room! :bud:

I was in Downey in 2003 with other European fans on the occasion to remember Karen' s passing
in 1983. Would like to come again in 2019 together with European fans. Please keep us informed.
Best reagards from Belgium.

Do you know the address in Newbury Park ? I had no idea about this !

It would be great to have a private viewing and/or listening to a live concert and songs not yet released. To hear and see these with decent fidelity and clear video would be awesome. Even a pre-release showing of what will be the 50th Anniversary product would be cool!

I don't know the exact address, and don't think I'd post it here if I did, but it's in the Conejo Corporate Center. Easily viewable on Google Earth.

I've just looked it up on Google Earth. It amazes me that he keeps cars of such high value in a warehouse that's on the open street.

It seems that any Carpenter "pilgrimage" would have to include the former A&M Studios in Hollywood which is now the Henson Recording Studios. I looked on their website and didn't see any mention of "tours". Does anyone know if they would accommodate fans that would like to tour their facility? That would tie-in nicely if fans wanted to see their star on the "Walk of Fame" also.

It was even more "open" when he had it in Whittier, California. This is a more fitting location, believe me.

Most people who pass it probably have no clue what's even in there. It does just look like a warehouse from the outside (albeit a nicely kept one) and there are only tiny windows so it's not obvious or easy to see what goodies are inside.

About what time of the year might this take place? I travel quite a bit for business and am hoping this falls at a time where I can manage to attend!

Back
Top Bottom