1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast* (merged threads)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by ringves, Jul 16, 2017.

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

1. Downey

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Thousand Oaks

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  3. Long Beach

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Guitarmutt

Guitarmutt Active Member

I've been reading with excitement without commenting or responding to the poll, but I would love to be a part of all of this, however it all pans out. Meeting all of you would be so fantastic!

BarryT60 likes this.
  2. Someday

Someday Active Member

Any more thoughts on this? I think I might be up for travelling from the UK ...

3. ringves

ringves Active Member Thread Starter

Hi, Someday.

Glad to hear that you're thinking of visiting for the 50th Anniversary Celebration.

One of the organizers is canvassing hotels in the area to determine what facilities are available. (We will need a ballroom on the Saturday.)

In addition, I am waiting to hear back from the local Chamber of Commerce on a few questions which I have posed to them.

Rest assured, we will keep everyone informed as details are firmed up. For now, I would suggest that those who are interested should "SAVE THE DATE" - or rather dates plural. To be more specific: Those interested in attending should plan to check in on Wednesday April 24th and check out on Sunday April 28th. So there will be 4 nights lodging at whatever hotel is ultimately selected.

Hope that info is useful for now. Stay tuned !

4. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I’m still up for this and would be coming from the UK too.

5. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Those are good dates, great weather - rainy season over and not too hot. I would make a point of scheduling time to go.

7. What will the price be and how many days are actually on the tour? All 4 days?

judyindisguise likes this.
  8. ringves

Hi, Erin.

Here is some additional information which may be useful. Please keep in mind that details have not been firmed up yet, so this information should be considered tentative and subject to change. (Having said that, the start date and end date are pretty much set.)

Wed. April 24th: Check-In & Registration in the early evening

Thurs. April 25th: Bus Tour #1

Friday April 26th: Bus Tour #2

Saturday April 27th: Free Morning time; Hotel Ballroom events starting in the afternoon; ideally these would include: a panel discussion; fans' memorabilia displays and artwork; trivial pursuit contest (perhaps teams by table ?); dinner; and music in the evening

Sunday April 28th: Farewell breakfast / brunch

A colleague working on this event is currently canvassing hotels in Thousand Oaks to find out what they can offer. And I am still waiting to hear back from the local Chamber of Commerce. So we don't have any pricing information at this time. But we are working on it and will pass along details as soon as possible.

Good to hear that you are thinking of attending.

Cheers.

9. Perhaps an evening "mixer" at the Institution Ale House "over the hill" in Camarillo? Just a suggestion...

10. Ferman

11. newvillefan

Erin Gatlin likes this.
  12. David A

David A Well-Known Member

I vote for Thousand Oaks, for all the reasons others here have, as well as carpe diem's point that if Richard were to make an appearance, this would be the most likely venue. Day-trips to Downey and other locations can be arranged and taken individually or as groups, of course.

13. ringves

Hi, David. Glad to hear that you are interested in attending.

Many fans like yourself have indicated an interest in bus trips to visit various Carpenters-related sites. Planning is in progress and we will communicate more information in the coming weeks. Stay tuned !

14. David A

David A Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I will be attending for sure, and plan to make the most of it.

15. I vote Institution Ale House for the evening reception. It's only 12 miles from Thousand Oaks and six miles from the Yesterday Once More warehouse. [email protected]

They got the room and a nice outdoor patio area; plus they serve food.

16. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I would have LOVED to come. But I already know I will be out of the country for work then.

17. BarryT60

BarryT60 Well-Known Member

as long as they have a bar with other cocktails, besides beer... :wink:

18. newvillefan

I’m not fussy, beer or cocktails suits me :laugh:

BarryT60 likes this.
  19. Hi, can you tell me who the person ringves is who is in charge of this event. I don't know how recent these posts are?

20. Great, thank you. I just saw this. What is your name?? Are you doing all this alone?

21. newvillefan

Moderators: Is it not worth merging the two near-identical threads on this topic that are currently running?

22. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

Done.

newvillefan likes this.
  23. Thanks Steve. XOXO

24. Hi, The Star was repaired last April 2017. It is having a little more upkeep in the next 8 weeks also.

25. Furman