🥂 50th 50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast*

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

• Downey

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Thousand Oaks

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Long Beach

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
I could be wrong but I have always believed that this photo was taken inside the A&M studio upstairs, possible as Stephen mentioned Karen’s former management office at the old A&M. If you look closely you can see out the window panes to the roof building next door and that same roof building is also seen in the photo Stephen uploaded to the far right side (the photo he took of Charlie Chaplan with the stairs going up look to the right you see the shingled roof looks the same as the one in this photo (meaning Karen & Richard are upstairs in this photo)

Hi Rick and others

You’re all very welcome, I said I’d keep you all updated and I didn’t want to disappoint :)

Rick you’re correct in the above, that building next door is one story only and it runs all the way down the right hand side of the building that housed Karen’s office. So looking at my photo, they would have been seated not at the upstairs window you can see, but at the one that is round the right hand side (out of sight in my photo), the side of the building that runs parallel with the shingle roofed building next door.

Hi Rick and others

You’re all very welcome, I said I’d keep you all updated and I didn’t want to disappoint :)

Rick you’re correct in the above, that building next door is one story only and it runs all the way down the right hand side of the building that housed Karen’s office. So looking at my photo, they would have been seated not at the upstairs window you can see, but at the one that is round the right hand side (out of sight in my photo), the side of the building that runs parallel with the shingle roofed building next door.
Thanks Stephen!!
It's nice to put a photo like this and relate it to an actual event. I don't know but for me it brings things closer and more personal. These were real times back then for Karen and Richard...neither one ever dreamed it would one day end. The correlation is an important part of their legacy for us to remember and it's captured in this photo and then your most recent photo...a memory in time.

Reactions: Sue
Stephen, thank you for posting those photos of Karen's final resting place on your account. It sure looked like a beautiful sunny day with the clear blue skies as a backdrop. We don't get to see as many photos of this special place. How sweet to see all the flowers and the Mickey Mouse on the door handle. Am I thinking of her previous resting place or is it this one that had the trickling water pond nearby?

Reactions: Sue
Stephen, thank you for posting those photos of Karen's final resting place on your account. It sure looked like a beautiful sunny day with the clear blue skies as a backdrop. We don't get to see as many photos of this special place. How sweet to see all the flowers and the Mickey Mouse on the door handle. Am I thinking of her previous resting place or is it this one that had the trickling water pond nearby?

Hi Rick - yes it’s the same place, beside the water pond. It was very moving to be there, I just stood still in front of it for at least half an hour. The large bunch of flowers in the white basket in the centre were from the group.

Just got back home...What a weekend!! It's an experience I will remember for the rest of my life. The highlight for me was 2 large tour buses descending upon Newville Ave on a warm spring Thursday afternoon in Downey California. 100+ Carpenters fans crowding that little cul-de-sac snapping pictures and "giddy" with excitement. Big thanks to a fan named Michael Robinson from New Hampshire for bringing the N&T trifold cover that numerous fans (including myself) borrowed for the photo sessions. And thanks to the homeowner of the old Carpenter house who waited patiently in her SUV down the street, as the last of the fans cleared the area so she could pull into her own driveway. She was very gracious about it...

[Part of this post has been removed by Moderator]

I can tell you that the participants had an "ball" at this gathering. Even my wife who was not a fan going into the event was moved to tears by Judy Pancoast's show on Saturday on how she related to the news of Karen's death. When we got home tonight she wanted to listen to the Carpenters albums I have. They're playing as I write this...The organizers of this extravaganza did an excellent job!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad everyone had fun... I'm stuck here in England studying for my exams but I was there in spirit. A good friend of mine delivered a card I wrote to Karen to the cemetery and attached it to the door of the mausoleum for me on a live video (you may have seen my card, it was the big colourful one saying "Thank You").
I wasn't there but I heard "Won't You Play A Simple Melody" that was played for the first time at the panel talk . it was lovely, I don't know why Richard hasn't released it!

I'm glad everyone had fun... I'm stuck here in England studying for my exams but I was there in spirit. A good friend of mine delivered a card I wrote to Karen to the cemetery and attached it to the door of the mausoleum for me on a live video (you may have seen my card, it was the big colourful one saying "Thank You").
I wasn't there but I heard "Won't You Play A Simple Melody" that was played for the first time at the panel talk . it was lovely, I don't know why Richard hasn't released it!
WOW- hearing that in itself would have been worth the trip.

We've cleaned up the complaints about Richard's whereabouts. He was never promised to be there, so let's leave those criticisms out of this thread.

Reflecting on Richards no show. Disappointed yes, and he is a wealthy man, But I suspect he is also a man with a long memory, who made it very plain that he did not endorse our gathering. In fact he may have felt that we invaded his home turf uninvited expecting acceptance. I wouldn't have liked that.
What he has given us is the music. That can't be taken away. Personally I wouldn't trade 20 second interaction with him for one listen to Goofus. Just my feelings.

I'm going to leave Malu's post up. But please, discuss the event and not the attendees or no-shows. This thread was closed earlier, but I've re-opened it with the caveat that the discussion not veer into finger-pointing and blaming.

Had a great time, this was an amazing experience, unfortunately I didn't "connect" with many of you because I didn't know you by any name other than your "screen" name here. I asked numerous people "are you on the Carpenters A&M forum?" But only a couple said yes and they were not regular contributors, with the exception of one - and darned if I can remember his name here on the forums! We sat at the same table for the buffet dinner and panel discussion, and had a very nice conversation.

Karen's grave site was a somber, emotional experience. Richard selected a beautiful location for her/their resting place and the weather was perfect.

The hotel was nice but a bit disappointing; our room was right next to some remodeling they were doing and so we heard a lot of banging and machine tools. It's really unforgivable given all the effort made by the plumbers, drywall guys, and electricians, that another trade was missing.

:tiphat: HATS OFF to the amazing job the organizers did for this event; it was organized and packed with events and gatherings. Well done!

Back at you Geographer, did Billy head back?
Post automatically merged:

The hotel was nice but a bit disappointing; our room was right next to some remodeling they were doing and so we heard a lot of banging and machine tools. It's really unforgivable given all the effort made by the plumbers, drywall guys, and electricians, that another trade was missing.
I have to agree, I wasn't sure I was going to stay there after so many poor reviews. But I'm glad I did. The staff were very nice and there remodel got behind because of the fires.

Last edited:
Back at you Geographer, did Billy head back?
Post automatically merged:

He did! Got a text from him sometime after 3:00 a.m. saying he landed. Unfortunately, he also had a two-hour bus ride back to his home.

I thought the hotel adequate even though I, too, was adjacent to a room under renovation. The staff was great and the grounds very nice. Really, no complaints!

I wasn't there but I heard "Won't You Play A Simple Melody" that was played for the first time at the panel talk

How? Live stream?

I have to say, hearing the unreleased track was one of the absolute highlights of the four day event for me. As soon as @Chris May said he had a special surprise to play us that featured Agnes Carpenter, I knew exactly what was coming and was filled with excitement. The track itself was jaunty and ragtime and what a strong, clear voice Agnes had! Chris also treated us to some excerpts from the multitracks of We’ve Only Just Begun, to show how Richard and Karen sang, then doubled and tripled the vocal parts to build the Carpenters sound. This was stuff none of us there had ever heard before. You could have heard a pin drop!

Last edited:
How? Live stream?

I have to say, hearing the unreleased track was one of the absolute highlights of the four day event for me. As soon as @Chris May said he had a special surprise to play us that featured Agnes Carpenter, I knew exactly what was coming and was filled with excitement. The track itself was jaunty and ragtime and what a strong, clear voice Agnes had! Chris also treated us to some excerpts from the multitracks of We’ve Only Just Begun, to show how Richard and Karen sang, then doubled and tripled the vocal parts to build the Carpenters sound. This was stuff none of us there had ever heard before. You could have heard a pin drop!

Definitely one of the highlights of the week! There should have been more of this multi-media "stuff" during the panel discussion. Mr. Dumler's demonstration on the oboe and English horn ("which is neither English nor a horn") was also a highlight. Ms. Levant's comments were very well received, too, especially her insight and inside-baseball stuff about her contribution to Superstar.

Definitely one of the highlights of the week! There should have been more of this multi-media "stuff" during the panel discussion. Mr. Dumler's demonstration on the oboe and English horn ("which is neither English nor a horn") was also a highlight. Ms. Levant's comments were very well received, too, especially her insight and inside-baseball stuff about her contribution to Superstar.

I asked Earle to bring both instruments as I felt this would really move a lot of the fans... so glad he agreed :)

Ms. Levant's comments were very well received, too, especially her insight and inside-baseball stuff about her contribution to Superstar.

Gayle was an absolute sweetheart. I could have listened to her all night. I can’t remember which question she was responding to but she and Earle talked about recording sessions before there was autotune, and how session musicians nowadays rely on a small autotune device in recording sessions to tell them whether they’re in tune or not. They both more or less said that their generation of musicians didn’t need it: if you have a good enough ear, you fix it yourself by altering the way you play the note or by actually listening to the player sat next to you. Gayle even recounted challenging a session producer because she could hear a certain section of the orchestra was out of tune. The producer in question retorted that maybe she should go and be a producer herself somewhere else and the way she described how she handled that situation - with grace, aplomb and just sheer experience - gave me the utmost respect for her. She and Earle were both fascinating to listen to.

Gayle was an absolute sweetheart. I could have listened to her all night. I can’t remember which question she was responding to but she and Earle talked about recording sessions before there was autotune, and how session musicians nowadays rely on a small autotune device in recording sessions to tell them whether they’re in tune or not. They both more or less said that their generation of musicians didn’t need it: if you have a good enough ear, you fix it yourself by altering the way you play the note or by actually listening to the player sat next to you. Gayle even recounted challenging a session producer because she could hear a certain section of the orchestra was out of tune. The producer in question retorted that maybe she should go and be a producer herself somewhere else and the way she described how she handled that situation - with grace, aplomb and just sheer experience - gave me the utmost respect for her. She and Earle were both fascinating to listen to.

Yes, and don't forget... she got the note changed appropriately to a C-sharp, which it was supposed to be from the beginning after the arranger told the producer "If Gayle is there, listen to her... she knows!"

Back
Top Bottom