🥂 50th 50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast*

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

• Downey

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Thousand Oaks

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Long Beach

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
I've been reading with excitement without commenting or responding to the poll, but I would love to be a part of all of this, however it all pans out. Meeting all of you would be so fantastic!

Hi, Someday.

Glad to hear that you're thinking of visiting for the 50th Anniversary Celebration.

One of the organizers is canvassing hotels in the area to determine what facilities are available. (We will need a ballroom on the Saturday.)

In addition, I am waiting to hear back from the local Chamber of Commerce on a few questions which I have posed to them.

Rest assured, we will keep everyone informed as details are firmed up. For now, I would suggest that those who are interested should "SAVE THE DATE" - or rather dates plural. To be more specific: Those interested in attending should plan to check in on Wednesday April 24th and check out on Sunday April 28th. So there will be 4 nights lodging at whatever hotel is ultimately selected.

Hope that info is useful for now. Stay tuned !

Hi, Someday.

Glad to hear that you're thinking of visiting for the 50th Anniversary Celebration.

One of the organizers is canvassing hotels in the area to determine what facilities are available. (We will need a ballroom on the Saturday.)

In addition, I am waiting to hear back from the local Chamber of Commerce on a few questions which I have posed to them.

Rest assured, we will keep everyone informed as details are firmed up. For now, I would suggest that those who are interested should "SAVE THE DATE" - or rather dates plural. To be more specific: Those interested in attending should plan to check in on Wednesday April 24th and check out on Sunday April 28th. So there will be 4 nights lodging at whatever hotel is ultimately selected.

Hope that info is useful for now. Stay tuned !
Those are good dates, great weather - rainy season over and not too hot. I would make a point of scheduling time to go.

Hi, Someday.

Hope that info is useful for now. Stay tuned ![/

Hi, Erin.

Here is some additional information which may be useful. Please keep in mind that details have not been firmed up yet, so this information should be considered tentative and subject to change. (Having said that, the start date and end date are pretty much set.)

Wed. April 24th: Check-In & Registration in the early evening

Thurs. April 25th: Bus Tour #1

Friday April 26th: Bus Tour #2

Saturday April 27th: Free Morning time; Hotel Ballroom events starting in the afternoon; ideally these would include: a panel discussion; fans' memorabilia displays and artwork; trivial pursuit contest (perhaps teams by table ?); dinner; and music in the evening

Sunday April 28th: Farewell breakfast / brunch

A colleague working on this event is currently canvassing hotels in Thousand Oaks to find out what they can offer. And I am still waiting to hear back from the local Chamber of Commerce. So we don't have any pricing information at this time. But we are working on it and will pass along details as soon as possible.

Good to hear that you are thinking of attending.

Cheers.

Hi, Erin.

Here is some additional information which may be useful. Please keep in mind that details have not been firmed up yet, so this information should be considered tentative and subject to change. (Having said that, the start date and end date are pretty much set.)

Saturday April 27th: Free Morning time; Hotel Ballroom events starting in the afternoon; ideally these would include: a panel discussion; fans' memorabilia displays and artwork; trivial pursuit contest (perhaps teams by table ?); dinner; and music in the evening

A colleague working on this event is currently canvassing hotels in Thousand Oaks to find out what they can offer. And I am still waiting to hear back from the local Chamber of Commerce. So we don't have any pricing information at this time. But we are working on it and will pass along details as soon as possible.

Cheers.

Perhaps an evening "mixer" at the Institution Ale House "over the hill" in Camarillo? Just a suggestion...

. If the bulk of the activity is centered around TO, it would be more "Richard friendly" to make an appearance. Perhaps buses could be chartered to take people to these different venues.

I vote for Thousand Oaks, for all the reasons others here have, as well as carpe diem's point that if Richard were to make an appearance, this would be the most likely venue. Day-trips to Downey and other locations can be arranged and taken individually or as groups, of course.

Hi, David. Glad to hear that you are interested in attending.

Many fans like yourself have indicated an interest in bus trips to visit various Carpenters-related sites. Planning is in progress and we will communicate more information in the coming weeks. Stay tuned !

Yes, indeed. We have been busy, working on getting quotes from hotels in and around Thousand Oaks.

Here is the tentative schedule:

Wed. April 24th 2019: Check-In followed by an evening reception
Thurs. April 25th 2019: Bus Tour #1 (all day)
Fri. April 26th 2019: Free Day (eg. visit 6 Flags; Reagan Library; etc.)
Sat. April 27th 2019: Bus Tour #2 (local; in the morning)
Q&A with Panelists (TBD)
Memorabilia Displays
Trivial Pursuit (the Carpenters edition)
Dinner
Sun April 28th 2019: Farewell Breakfast​

Again, all of the above is subject to change. More details will be forthcoming in the coming weeks.

I vote Institution Ale House for the evening reception. It's only 12 miles from Thousand Oaks and six miles from the Yesterday Once More warehouse. [email protected]

They got the room and a nice outdoor patio area; plus they serve food.

I would have LOVED to come. But I already know I will be out of the country for work then.

Hi Robert,
As I had mentioned to you previously, I would recommend Thousand Oaks for the event...not just because I am a resident. To be honest, Downey is far from what it used to be in terms of crime and safety as is most of Long Beach. Thousand Oaks is a nice town and Westlake Village where Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks is an even better 'step up' ! In fact, there are a couple of nicer hotels / suites right down the street and it is walking distance to food and shopping too. In Thousand Oaks there is a nice Best Western and in Newbury Park which is adjacent, there are both a Marriot Suites and a Courtyard. From what I've heard, Richard lives in 'North Ranch' which is a posh gated community. My husband's office is just a couple of feet away from where Karen, Harry, and Agnes remain and has told me that there are very few visitors. And I also mentioned to you that there is a small sculpture garden in front of where our local performing arts center is and there is a big wall that says "Mary and Richard Carpenter".
I hope this information will be helpful !
Excellent,
An all -star International CarpenterS Fan Club reunion. This is getting better and kinda titillating.
Hi, can you tell me who the person ringves is who is in charge of this event. I don't know how recent these posts are?

Hi, Erin.

Cheers.
Perhaps an evening "mixer" at the Institution Ale House "over the hill" in Camarillo? Just a suggestion...
Great, thank you. I just saw this. What is your name?? Are you doing all this alone?

Moderators: Is it not worth merging the two near-identical threads on this topic that are currently running?

The star was fixed up in April 2017 thanks to a Facebook campaign and fans' donations. This from Facebook user Steve Manzi:

"It's amazing what can be done when a bunch of crazy fanatical fans get together to get something accomplished. A large group of friends and myself joined together to gather funds for an account created and managed by my friend, Erin Gatlin, the brainchild of this labor of love, to renew The Carpenters Hollywood Walk of Fame star installed just last week .... the photo shows the before and after ... a star now as perfect as their music is ...."

17884361_10213093548440476_9221598039478129931_n.jpg
Thanks Steve. XOXO

Beyond site visits, it would be fun to hear from guest speakers; I’m curious about:
  • Richard, of course
  • John Bettis
  • Joe Osborne
  • Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss
  • Randy Schmidt
  • Other writer’s and music critics who could discuss Carpenters’ legacy and impact
On another note, I visited Hollywood last year, and the duo’s star is pretty beat up. Maybe a fund-raiser to get it repaired? I’m not sure how that works, so this suggestion may be irrelevant.
Hi, The Star was repaired last April 2017. It is having a little more upkeep in the next 8 weeks also.

Back
Top Bottom