🥂 50th 50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast*

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

• Downey

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Thousand Oaks

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Long Beach

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Trying to get a "time allotted" estimate of venues, on how we can best utilize our time for events. Just off-hand, I would block out about 2 hrs for the CPAC at LB State. I was there in Nov and there are basically 3 cases in the lobby in which fans would most certainly want to take photos; Karen's drum kit with her "Lead Sister" shirt, Richard's electric piano with the Close To You lead sheet on it, and the "beat them off with a stick". The case with the Grammys, AMA Award, the Battle of the Bands trophy, One of Richard's Magic Lamp 45, Nixon autographed photo of White House appearance, etc. And the case with Karen's gold records. The receptionist did let us into the auditorium to look around and we took some photos in there. This is a great "photo op", but it is in the lobby of a building with an all glass foyer and glare killed my photos. Maybe later in the day would be good. As a sidelight there is a Japanese garden on the campus that would be great for a break or lunch. Everything was free of charge when we went, but with the CPAC they would need a "heads-up" of course to know we are coming. They were very accommodating to us when we visited. Maybe we could combine a Long Beach State visit to some Downey landmarks (such as the Newville Ave house) on the same bus tour.

CPAC is definitely on the list of places to visit. And your comment about visiting the Downey sites on the same day makes a lot of sense.

All good comments. Appreciate the suggestions.

CPAC is definitely on the list of places to visit. And your comment about visiting the Downey sites on the same day makes a lot of sense.

All good comments. Appreciate the suggestions.
Just an update. The Star was polished again about 3 weeks ago after a little work that was done on it. We have a one time one year warranty that's up in April. So I am heading down next week 3/21/18 and taking pictures and checking it out.

Hi, Erin.

Here is some additional information which may be useful. Please keep in mind that details have not been firmed up yet, so this information should be considered tentative and subject to change. (Having said that, the start date and end date are pretty much set.)

Wed. April 24th: Check-In & Registration in the early evening

Thurs. April 25th: Bus Tour #1

Friday April 26th: Bus Tour #2

Saturday April 27th: Free Morning time; Hotel Ballroom events starting in the afternoon; ideally these would include: a panel discussion; fans' memorabilia displays and artwork; trivial pursuit contest (perhaps teams by table ?); dinner; and music in the evening

Sunday April 28th: Farewell breakfast / brunch

A colleague working on this event is currently canvassing hotels in Thousand Oaks to find out what they can offer. And I am still waiting to hear back from the local Chamber of Commerce. So we don't have any pricing information at this time. But we are working on it and will pass along details as soon as possible.

Good to hear that you are thinking of attending.

Cheers.
Hi! I’m a longtime fan but new here. I would be most interested in guest speakers and exhibits of memorabilia. Definitely Randy Schmidt but also anyone who is still around from the band who would be willing to come and speak with us. And OMG if you could get Paul Williams that would be insane. You know Mark Lindsay also toured with them. Is he still around?

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback to this initial poll.

The comments regarding things to do, sites to see, etc. will be very useful when the detailed planning begins.

Just a quick note to let you know that there will be a second poll launched within the next day or two (I hope !). This 2nd poll will canvass forum members for their opinions on the timing of the event.

Stay tuned !
May I ask why you aren’t posting this info on any of The Carpenters fan pages on FB? Lots and lots of people there would love to make plans to participate!

Hi, Judy.

Fellow Carpenters fan Greg Kuritz is working on a detailed itinerary and should have something ready for public viewing soon. He is an experienced travel agent, who has agreed to handle the detailed planning that goes into an event like this.

I will send him an email, advising him of your suggestion about the various fan pages on FB. Great suggestion !

Regards,

Robert

Hi, everyone.

Good news ! Our fellow Carpenters fan Greg Kuritz has set up a website with some preliminary information about the 50th Anniversary Celebration in Thousand Oaks in April of 2019.

The website address is: Carpenters 50th

A big THANK YOU to Greg for his efforts in setting up the website. I understand that he will also be connecting with some facebook groups, as some of you have suggested.

See you all in Thousand Oaks next year !

-- Robert

Hi, everyone.

Good news ! Our fellow Carpenters fan Greg Kuritz has set up a website with some preliminary information about the 50th Anniversary Celebration in Thousand Oaks in April of 2019.

A big THANK YOU to Greg for his efforts in setting up the website. I understand that he will also be connecting with some facebook groups, as some of you have suggested.

-- Robert

Donation made! Let's get this thing rolling!

Hi, everyone.

-- Robert
Hi Robert. I was wondering if guests have to attend all events? Can they just attend the dinner?

Hi, everyone.

-- Robert

This is AMAZING! I’m in! I was already planning a trek across mid America for two weeks next year and was going to go West to East, but will swap that and go East to West, finishing my trip with this weekend event in CA.

Thanks to all involved for all their efforts so far. Can’t wait for further updates!

This is looking GOOD! So, does anyone know ... what are the chances of the big man himself showing up?

Everyone thinking of attending should take note that neither Richard nor Universal Music has endorsed the event.

Of course, it would be wonderful to have him there. But at this point, you should NOT assume that he is going to be in attendance.

Having said that, I think it's safe to say that you will meet a lot of people who share a common interest in the Carpenters' music. And no doubt we will all make many new friends.

Finally, a big "THANK YOU" to those who are contributing to the fund to secure the hotel facilities.

I’ve already started making serious plans for this trip. I’m looking at flying London to New York for five days’ sightseeing, transfer to Chicago where I pick up an overnight Texas Eagle sleeper train to Dallas for two days’ sightseeing there, then a flight to LA in time for the opening day of the convention. A two week holiday that fulfils lots of items on my bucket list and ends with the Carpenters’ 50th Anniversary Convention. As Akiko once sang, “how could I ask for more?” :)

Since the 1st time I commemorated April 22 in 1972 I've not missed a year since. Its a holiday, if you will. My holiday anyway. What's marinating for the 50th? Now that's old school anticipation.

Wishin', and hopin', and thinkin', and prayin' that Mr Richard Carpenter will somehow be a part of this...Anywho, I am looking forward to this with great anticipation (like you, Jeff). I believe it has the potential to be great; A once-in-a-lifetime gathering, and a cherished memory for all who participate!! I am "ALL-IN"!!!

Hi, everyone.

The people involved in the organizing committee are planning to speak by phone next weekend. So I should be able to post the latest developments during the week of April 30th.

Stay tuned !

Back
Top Bottom