🥂 50th 50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast*

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

• Downey

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Thousand Oaks

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Long Beach

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
5. hanging by the pool with fellow Carpenter fans after a frigid Maine winter!

Sounds great! There’s a bar on the hotel complex as well and I’m sure that will be a place fans will want to congregate, relax and get to know each other on our down time.

1. Richard's car collection, 2. Carpenter Performing Arts Center, 3. tribute concerts, 4. Downey sights, 5. hanging by the pool with fellow Carpenter fans after a frigid Maine winter!

Normally take a few months before NBC releases the Leno Garage episodes for free. It was excellent, be patient it will hopefully be on YouTube soon. Have you watched the first one from a few years ago?

I saw it and loved it. Can’t wait to see the latest one. We don’t get it here in the UK until it becomes available on YouTube.

I have a feeling that if there is a chance to actually meet Richard, it would be during the "possible" visit to his warehouse. Could not imagine him inviting us and not being onsite for the event. It's also a large open space where he'd feel comfortable interacting with everyone in an environment which would involve conversation other than just strictly music.

I’d never thought of this until now but it sounds like the most obvious place he’d make an appearance if he wanted to. If we were granted access it would also give him the opportunity to keep a check on us unruly fans to make sure we don’t leave any sticky fingerprints on his prized car collection :laugh:

Well said and thank you.

Out of curiosity do we know how many people have signed up for the full four day event? I’m wondering what to do with the day off on the Saturday :)

There are a few theme parks within 90 minutes of the event location. Universal Studios is 35 miles (40 minutes) away. Six Flags Magic Mountain (thrill park) is 50 miles (one hour) away. Disneyland, 72 miles (90 minutes or less) away. Knotts Berry Farm is 70 miles (again, 90 minutes away or less). Unless it's a warm day in late April, that's kind of the "edge" season for swimming pools here in Southern California. Might be warm enough; might not. But, those coming from a cold climate might find it perfectly warm for hanging out in a pool. The beach is just over the coast range, too. But suffice it to say, there are a lot of options in Southern California to burn a Saturday.

Also, for those of you who are history buffs, I believe the Reagan Presidential Library is not too far away.

Completely forgot about this one! It's a mere 11 miles away (about 15 minutes) form the conference hotel. Never been but I know more than a few people that have told me it is well worth the visit.

Last edited:
Completely forgot about this one! It's a mere 11 miles away (about 15 minutes) form the conference hotel. Never been but I know more than a few people that have told me it is well worth the visit.

That would be a cool place to visit too!

After checking out the list of attendees for the 50th, noticed there no members from Japan which is a huge market for the Carpenters. Wonder if the word is out on some of the other sites (Lead Sister) that the event is happening? Must be a travel time and cost factor which is hindering the participation of our friends from the far east.

Wonder if the word is out on some of the other sites (Lead Sister) that the event is happening? Must be a travel time and cost factor which is hindering the participation of our friends from the far east.

The Leadsister site died a slow death years ago, after Pamela sold the website on. It’s a shame because it was an amazing hub of fans. Yuka Ogura - the main source of Carpenters activity in the Far East - also seems to have disappeared from view online years ago. I’ve been keeping an eye on the attendee list and other than the US, UK and mainland Europe, fans aren’t coming from anywhere else.

Last edited:
Thanks, was not aware of it's demise. Used to frequent Leadsister often until I came across this option many years ago and I never looked back. There were some wonderful people that site and I do remember Yuka Ogura as a major contributor and I think she may have attended the 30th celebration. I was getting married at the time and my wife back then would not have been onboard with a honeymoon trip to LA for a Carpenters anniversary!

I would love to attend this and it would be a highlight to hear Paul Grein as he was always a champion writer for the Carpenters. Then possible entrance into YOM warehouse that would be incredible. I’m expecting you all to take detailed notes. :laugh:

I would love to attend this and it would be a highlight to hear Paul Grein as he was always a champion writer for the Carpenters. Then possible entrance into YOM warehouse that would be incredible. I’m expecting you all to take detailed notes. :laugh:

Here’s a couple of questions for the organisers: will we be able to take photos or videos of the panel discussion, the CPAC exhibition, plus Richard’s warehouse and Henson Studios (if these come off)? And what’s the plan for the itinerary if either or both requests are declined?

Thanks, was not aware of it's demise.

It's still there as a static site with some old content, but a shadow of the site it once was. There's at least one person I met there around 15 years ago online that I will finally get to meet at the get-together next April :)

After checking out the list of attendees for the 50th, noticed there no members from Japan which is a huge market for the Carpenters. Wonder if the word is out on some of the other sites (Lead Sister) that the event is happening? Must be a travel time and cost factor which is hindering the participation of our friends from the far east.

Good question. As a matter of fact, the organizing committee members have been in touch with Yuka Ogura to ensure that Japanese fans are made aware of the event. Over the coming months, we hope to see some Japanese names appearing on our attendees list.

Here’s a couple of questions for the organisers: will we be able to take photos or videos of the panel discussion, the CPAC exhibition, plus Richard’s warehouse and Henson Studios (if these come off)? And what’s the plan for the itinerary if either or both requests are declined?

If any of the sites have policies restricting the use of cellphones or cameras, we will let you know at the start of each bus tour. As for Richard's warehouse and the Henson Studios, we are still hopeful that permission will be granted for more than just a "drive by". Chances are we will not get confirmation until much closer to the time of the event.

^ Thanks for the efforts of the handful of individuals who are donating their personal time by putting this all together for us, it's appreciated!

Concerning the Downey sites and the former Carpenter home; It's going to be very interesting to see how they maneuver a large bus onto the tiny Newville Ave cul-de-sac, smack dab in the middle of Southern California suburbia filled with rabid Carpenters revellers! It's going to be GLORIOUS!! I can hardly wait!!! Do they know we're coming?!:laugh:

Concerning the Downey sites and the former Carpenter home; It's going to be very interesting to see how they maneuver a large bus onto the tiny Newville Ave cul-de-sac, smack dab in the middle of Southern California suburbia filled with rabid Carpenters revellers! It's going to be GLORIOUS!! I can hardly wait!!! Do they know we're coming?!:laugh:

I've heard/read that there have been bus tours long before, that included this stop, so I'd assume they have the navigation figured out :wink:

I've heard/read that there have been bus tours long before, that included this stop, so I'd assume they have the navigation figured out :wink:

Those bus drivers are hyper professional and can get in and out of most any type of street.

is there a trip to Newville? this seems like an invasion of privacy to me. the current owners did work with fans with the 90's convention, but they made it very clear during the studio demo and separate house rebuild that they were tired of the aggravation.

is there a trip to Newville? this seems like an invasion of privacy to me. the current owners did work with fans with the 90's convention, but they made it very clear during the studio demo and separate house rebuild that they were tired of the aggravation.

Don't know offhand, but unless people actually get off the bus and knock on doors, don't see how it would qualify as an invasion of privacy. It's a public street, I'm sure.

Yes, the bus tour to Downey will include a "drive by" the Newville house.

And thank you to Portlander for your kind words. I will share your comments with Peter and Greg.

You are correct! Take it from someone who works in a civil engineering capacity, city streets are designed for the largest of fire trucks to navigate. The bus won't have any problems.

Yes, I could see where it might get annoying to those who have to exist there. I don't know what the actual logistics for these sites will be. I would like to think that Carpenters fans would be cognizant of the fact that these are private residences and not be obnoxious. Though I'm sure that there have been fans through the years that have parked in the driveway and knocked on the door...

Further on the subject; that house has changed hands several times since the Carpenters, surely there must be some kind of alert in the escrow papers identifying it to potential buyers as a famous residence and subject to picture taking and general "gawking".

I remember a few years back on the "Zillow" site, Karen's residence that she bought on Lido Isle during the Tom Burris days was up for sale and showcased. It specifically mentioned that it was the former residence of Karen Carpenter.

Also concerning the Newville Ave home, I just hope we can see it. It's seems to be forever covered with a jungle of vegitation overgrowth!

Further on the subject; that house has changed hands several times since the Carpenters

Are you sure? I was absolutely sure the house was bought by the family that still lives there now. They tore the other half of the house down to build a new house for one of the daughters.

This website backs that up, mentioning in the property history section that it was “last sold on 07/09/1997 for $685,000”, which makes sense because Richard sold it the year after Agnes passed away (1996).

9828 Newville Ave, Downey, CA - 5 beds/4 baths

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom