🥂 50th 50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast*

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

• Downey

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Thousand Oaks

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Long Beach

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
I'm sure everything you saw 30 yrs ago Geographer, is now at his Thousand Oaks facility and more. Karen's "Lead Sister" shirt is on display at CPAC on a partial manequinn. I don't believe Richard discarded anything. Remember the TV Guide article about Cynthia Gibb going through Karen's wardrobe and feeling "her presence" when she put on those garments? Does Karen's Strawberry Short Cake/Raggedy Ann denim outfit she wore at the Budokan concert of 5/31/74 still exist? Or the bass guitar she played laying down tracks of "Eve" and "All Of My Life" for Offering? Or her wedding gown/hat that Cynthia Gibb put on in "The Karen Carpenter Story"? Her outfit that she wore at The Grammys when they received their awards, which also by the way, she wore part of the time on the 1971 BBC Special? Not to mention never before seen photographs, etc? Is this none of the fans' business? I believe Elvis' jump suit and solid gold microphone are on display at "Graceland", along with a lot of his other artifacts. Is it so out of the ordinary that Karen's fans would want to see these things? I get that these items would be very "personal" to Richard. But man, I don't think too many of us are going to be around for the 75th or 100th Anniversary.

PS - I still think it's a "security issue". Maybe the organizers can hire some private security while at these venues. I would pay a little more for this event if we could gain access to these sites. I might run that by them in an email.

PSS - It could even be an "insurance issue". All that stuff has to be heavily insured. Maybe there is some stipulation on the policy about number of persons allowed in there? I'm sure Richard has his reasons...

I'm guessing it's more Richard being "persnickety" about his car collection. And maybe insurance issues (not just for the cars, but for the two bus loads of people on the facility property. It could also be Newberry Park's requirement (through a use permit) that his facility isn't a "museum" or "tourist facility" and is prohibited from opening it up to "tourists." There could be several legitimate reasons why they have to say no. But as Mr. Blakesley above pointed out, the e-mail says "at this time."

I'm guessing it's more Richard being "persnickety" about his car collection. And maybe insurance issues (not just for the cars, but for the two bus loads of people on the facility property. It could also be Newberry Park's requirement (through a use permit) that his facility isn't a "museum" or "tourist facility" and is prohibited from opening it up to "tourists." There could be several legitimate reasons why they have to say no. But as Mr. Blakesley above pointed out, the e-mail says "at this time."

I think you nailed it. It was never meant to be a tourist destination. It is just a place for Richard to store "his stuff". As Carpenters fanatics, we would love to get a glimpse at it. However, I'm still awaiting this event with "off the charts" enthusiasm. To see/meet fellow Carpenters fans from Japan, Europe, Mexico, Australia, etc will be well worth it for me. I plan to have a marvelous time and I'm counting the days!!:)

Reading another thread this morning where the subject of ONJ and Karen spending time at Catalina Island came up, it got me to thinking about the "down time" that will occur at the event in April in between the bus excursions. I know that Disneyland is brought up as a #1 diversion for that "free day". But I put it out there that Catalina Island would a good option as well (and probably a lot less expensive). I am posting a web site that I am in no way endorsing or pushing on people, just something I found on the internet this morning for general information:

Catalina Express

When I was in Ventura last summer for a wedding, I noticed they have a lot of options for fishing, site-seeing, whale-watching, and excursions of the Channel Islands, out of their harbor. I am not a sailor, I tend to shy-away from ocean going vessels, but these are options...Show me where the wine tasting is and I am "on board"! :)

Reading another thread this morning where the subject of ONJ and Karen spending time at Catalina Island came up, it got me to thinking about the "down time" that will occur at the event in April in between the bus excursions. I know that Disneyland is brought up as a #1 diversion for that "free day". But I put it out there that Catalina Island would a good option as well (and probably a lot less expensive).

Great suggestion! The only thing is, that free day isn’t completely free any more. Randy is doing his book launch from 2-4pm in Brendan’s bar next door to the hotel and I don’t want to miss that. The most appealing option for me for the morning is the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, which is 15 minutes from the hotel by taxi and is packed full of exhibits and interesting things to see, such as an original piece of the Berlin Wall, a recreation of the Oval Office when he was in power and a hologram of the man himself. I’m a bit of a history buff so that’s what I’ll be doing with my Saturday morning if anyone wants to tag along :)

Permanent Exhibitions | The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation & Institute

Last edited:
Well, I wish I could be there to share in the celebration, but, it is not to be.
In any event, I see where my favorite harpist will be there:
Gayle Levant.
I have long adored her performances on Carpenters' recordings.
Please, someone....give her my best !

Well, I wish I could be there to share in the celebration, but, it is not to be.
In any event, I see where my favorite harpist will be there:
Gayle Levant.
I have long adored her performances on Carpenters' recordings.
Please, someone....give her my best !

Believe it or not, an email from the organisers went out yesterday to confirm that, unfortunately, Gayle can no longer attend the panel discussion due to other commitments.

^^My sentiments exactly. Karen impersonators seem to be coming out of the woodwork! Sure hope they can fit us in for a tour of the Henson Studios during the bus ride.

To me it is shaping up that there are too many cover band events. That may just be a personal preferences, but I have never been a fan of the cover bands.

I’ll attend the show in Downey as we’re away for the day anyway but the others at the hotel I will most likely skip, partly as I have plans for the Saturday. I’m sure they’ll be very well attended though.

Last edited:
I’ll attend the show in Downey as we’re away for the day anyway but the others at the hotel I will most likely skip, partly as I have plans for the Saturday. I’m sure they’ll be very well attended though.
Stephen,
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing.

That’s too bad about Gayle not being able to attend.

Yeah, the mail said if her plans change again and she can attend, she will.

I’m not sure anyone if has said this so far but I just wanted to say a big thank you to the organisers, who have done an incredible job of putting this event together, from the sightseeing days, to the panel discussion, the tribute shows, the book signings and even the goodies (or “swag bag”!) which are included in the price. We’re there for one reason: to celebrate our favourite duo! There’s certainly something for everyone and the website does say that not everyone is doing all four days, so I’m sure the crowd will be different on each day which will just make it all the more fun and interesting!

Last edited:
^^Pardon my minor grumbling...I agree with your comment, newvillefan. To me, it's all about Carpenters fans from around the world getting together. That's the real celebration here. It's going to be such a kick to see Japanese, European, Australian (I know there is at least one), Mexican, Canadian, etc fans gathered together!! I can hardly contain my excitement...and I plan on taking tons of photos of everybody...You are correct newvillefan, a "tip of the hat" to the organizers of this event, who I believe are working very hard, to make this a memorable experience. And, according to my calendar, we have just 58 days to go (not that I am counting :)). I cannot wait :goodie:

I can hardly contain my excitement...and I plan on taking tons of photos of everybody...You are correct newvillefan, a "tip of the hat" to the organizers of this event, who I believe are working very hard, to make this a memorable experience. And, according to my calendar, we have just 58 days to go (not that I am counting :)). I cannot wait

I just bought a 64GB memory stick for my 64GB iPhone, just to make sure I have enough space to capture memories of my entire US trip...and this event in particular. I’ll be heading East to West across the US over a two week period and this is the Holy Grail awaiting me at the end. My entire holiday has been booked around this event. So yes, I am counting...by the day :laugh:

I'm definitely participating in the bus tour on Thursday. Will pass on Friday's agenda if we're not granted access to Richard's auto collection and will give my seat to someone who didn't get the opportunity. Think I'll take a drive up to Santa Barbara in the morning and hang out at the pool (weather permitting) in the afternoon instead.

I, too, am appreciate of all the work that has gome into this. They seem incredibly organized and have really out something special together. I cannot wait.

I'm definitely participating in the bus tour on Thursday. Will pass on Friday's agenda if we're not granted access to Richard's auto collection and will give my seat to someone who didn't get the opportunity.

As much as I’d be gutted if we don’t get the chance to visit Yesterday Once More, I couldn’t miss the second day because I’d miss out on the chance to pay my respects to Karen at her final resting place. I visited Forest Lawns in 1999 and it was very moving to be there. This time will probably be a bit different, outdoors in the LA sunshine...

Stephen, thought about the visit to the cemetery and it's just not one of my strong points. Want this trip to be upbeat and fun and would rather not go through a more somber/emotional experience and I made my peace with Karen's passing many decades ago. Hope you understand.

Stephen, thought about the visit to the cemetery and it's just not one of my strong points. Want this trip to be upbeat and fun and would rather not go through a more somber/emotional experience and I made my peace with Karen's passing many decades ago. Hope you understand.

Of course, each to their own. I’ll just be glad to shake your hand and make a new friend!

Here’s a thought...how are we all going to identify each other when most of us only know each other by forum names and not real names and mostly no photos? I did a small fan meet years ago for another favourite band - nothing on this scale - and I went to it with a shirt that had my forum name on my shirt and people shouted out to me because they recognised it. Is there a plan for that? I love the surprise element of being introduced to someone I’ve been sharing a forum with for more than a decade online :wave::laugh:

Last edited:
You've already made a new friend! Your knowledge and well respected input to this site is commendable and your posts are always a favorite read on my end. Looking forward to meeting you in April.

As much as I’d be gutted if we don’t get the chance to visit Yesterday Once More, I couldn’t miss the second day because I’d miss out on the chance to pay my respects to Karen at her final resting place. I visited Forest Lawns in 1999 and it was very moving to be there. This time will probably be a bit different, outdoors in the LA sunshine...

I will bring a roll of paper towels on this segment of the trip. Heck, tears came to my eyes when they rolled up the partitions to their gold record displays at CPAC when I was there in 2017. I'm sure the mausoleum will be locked, but if Richard could allow the 50th anniversary folks to file respectably through, how great would that be?! I would love to see the marble memorial to Karen and the lovely words that are etched on it. Maybe we could all get together and chip-in for a flower arrangement for Karen (the A&M Forum contingent). I'm sure that will happen at some point. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom