🥂 50th 50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast*

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

• Downey

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Thousand Oaks

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Long Beach

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Of course, each to their own. I’ll just be glad to shake your hand and make a new friend!

Here’s a thought...how are we all going to identify each other when most of us only know each other by forum names and not real names and mostly no photos? I did a small fan meet years ago for another favourite band - nothing on this scale - and I went to it with a shirt that had my forum name on my shirt and people shouted out to me because they recognised it. Is there a plan for that? I love the surprise element of being introduced to someone I’ve been sharing a forum with for more than a decade online :wave::laugh:

I'm not so sure I'd want to be recognized. Some of my comments here (well, a lot of them actually, over the years) are not taken well.

Of course, each to their own. I’ll just be glad to shake your hand and make a new friend!

Here’s a thought...how are we all going to identify each other when most of us only know each other by forum names and not real names and mostly no photos? I did a small fan meet years ago for another favourite band - nothing on this scale - and I went to it with a shirt that had my forum name on my shirt and people shouted out to me because they recognised it. Is there a plan for that? I love the surprise element of being introduced to someone I’ve been sharing a forum with for more than a decade online :wave::laugh:

We could put our login names at the bottom of our name badges with black felt tip. Or, we could have a secret password when we meet people; how bout "Harry" :laugh:!

I'm not so sure I'd want to be recognized. Some of my comments here (well, a lot of them actually, over the years) are not taken well.

Everybody has their own level of comfort when it comes to putting their identity out there, of course, but Carpenters fans seem in general to be a pretty friendly lot.

That is very disappointing. To me it is shaping up that there are too many cover band events. That may just be a personal preferences, but I have never been a fan of the cover bands.

Whic

I can't imagine any fans getting angry with you or wanting to physically hurt you over comments. I think you're in pretty safe company.

Karen Tongson is speaking at the event, too.
Here is the latest advertisement for her upcoming publication, Why Karen Carpenter Matters:

I intend to get a signed copy of Karen's book at the event. I read excerpts of it and seems it would be an interesting read. I also like to support efforts to put the Carpenters name out there in a positive way.

I would love to see the marble memorial to Karen and the lovely words that are etched on it. Maybe we could all get together and chip-in for a flower arrangement for Karen (the A&M Forum contingent). I'm sure that will happen at some point.

I got the chance to touch the gold letters spelling out Karen’s name on the marble front of her previous resting place at Forest Lawns Memorial Park and it was a really moving moment. I left her a single red rose. Very precious memory. This one will be equally as special.

Right on!!!!!

I think Al Schmitt is the one I’m most eager to hear from, given my obsession with sound mixing and engineering and his experience on recent Carpenters projects. He’s a great addition to the panel.

Last edited:
Same here, Stephen. Can you imagine the pure joy of doing this mixing with the greatest voice of all time? Gives me chills just thinking about it.

Regarding opening up the mausoleum, I cannot imagine that Richard or even Pierce Brothers would allow that. The mausoleum has but one door on the front and there is no way to "pass thru" you would have to enter and exit the same door and the interior "standing space" is not large. As you look thru the window Karen and her parents rest on the right side, presumably keeping the crypts on the left side for future use perhaps for Richard and his wife.

Spring is here!!! 35 days away from the greatest Carpenters celebration of all time!! Hopefully the weather "holds", and gives us a beautiful southern California spring weekend! Can't wait to celebrate with Carpenters fans from around the globe...IT WILL BE GLORIOUS!!!!

I see that the itinerary which included the visit to Richard’s car warehouse has now quietly dropped the line that mentioned they were awaiting permission to view it. I take it to mean that was a firm “no” received back. It doesn’t surprise me. It’s now just a drive-by photo opportunity.

I'm still going to roll the dice and visit the car warehouse on Wednesday morning on my own. If I'm asked to leave the property, I will do so very respectfully : )

I'm still going to roll the dice and visit the car warehouse on Wednesday morning on my own. If I'm asked to leave the property, I will do so very respectfully : )

There are a couple of us, outside this forum, talking about doing the same on our own...if only for a photo op outside. Perhaps there should be some coordination out of consideration for Richard and his staff; to be respectful and not "overwhelm" them with constant "fan traffic" all day.

My wife and I arrive Wednesday afternoon. I would feel "royally screwed" if Richard opened up his warehouse to a handful of people who just "showed up" from the 50th anniversary contingent. I doubt that will happen, and there is probably not full time staff at the facility, unless you are talking about general security for the complex where it is located. I'm convinced he will make himself known at some point during this event. Where and when is anyone's guess...

My wife and I arrive Wednesday afternoon. I would feel "royally screwed" if Richard opened up his warehouse to a handful of people who just "showed up" from the 50th anniversary contingent. I doubt that will happen, and there is probably not full time staff at the facility, unless you are talking about general security for the complex where it is located. I'm convinced he will make himself known at some point during this event. Where and when is anyone's guess...

Well, I wasn't even going to mention it; but Portlander did, so I thought I'd address it. I'm sure we aren't the only ones with the same idea. But it's important to be respectful. The sidewalk outside is public property and one can get an excellent picture with the signage on the building from a number of angles. I believe Richard does have a staff member that does work at the warehouse. Not sure if it is full time or part time; however, I highly doubt that never has a fan, in the entire existence of his warehouse, stopped in and inquired. I'm sure they have a protocol for such situations and I'm confident it is a polite one at that.

When the warehouse was located in Whittier (if memory serves me), I did "stop by" and was greeted well by Marc Rudolf who was working there. We even got a small tour and saw some excellent memorabilia stored there. This was in the late 80's, I believe.

Thus, I'm sure it's not uncommon for fans to occasionally show up here. I just think it wouldn't be polite if 100 fans showed up, sporadically and all day or weekend long, after they told us we couldn't.

Plus, it's on the way to the Institution Ale House Brewery where another attendee and I are going to have lunch before the first "official" function...if anyone wants to join us!

I believe the formal tour will be "drive-by" heavy. We will get to enter the CPAC display, get out and find their Walk Of Fame star, maybe get to have a mini tour of the Henson Studios (fingers crossed), and then get out and walk up to Karen's final resting place to pay our respects. That is good enough for me. Having all these Carpenters fans just hanging around that hotel, going about in their Carpenter's T-shirts, snapping photos, and the general excitement of the event will be totally worth the price of admission for me :). Yes, I'm disappointed about not seeing the warehouse, but like I have stated before in this thread, I'm sure Richard has his valid reasons.

"Marc Rudolf?" ....I wonder if he ever figured out the identity of the Golden Mystery Group? :D

(Maybe it was a code name!)

Ha! Wish I would have thought to ask that question...but yes, one in the same person. Marc was R&K's cousin and, at the time, worked at Richard's warehouse. I believe, unfortunately, that he has since passed on. But he was just as gracious as most of the Carpenter family was/is.

Back
Top Bottom