50th Official Album?

Sue

Do you think there will be an album to actually officially mark the 50th anniversary. The RPO is fantastic but it doesn’t say anything to mark 50 years. I would love to have something that is actually marking such a milestone! Moderators please move if this has already been a thread.

This question has been asked in other threads. There are only rumours at this point. We don't have much more information at this time.
Maybe Richard will post an announcement on Instagram or The official Carpenters Facebook page will have something.
There was talk of RPO 2. So far, I'm not sure if enough copies were sold for Universal to ask for Part 2.
I posted in another thread that Carpenters with the RPO went Silver (60,000 copies) in the UK.
Elvis and Roy Orbison's RPO albums went Platinum (300,000 copies) and got a second release.
We'll have to wait and see.
If anything a 50th release would be similar to "40/40" but with ten more songs probably. I don't think there'd be many changes.
It'd be nice 50th packaging though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
I would hope so. Richard has mentioned it briefly to me on two occasions:

When I first contacted him, he got back to me and in his "P.s." he added that there are no plans for the 50th yet but he is certain that there will be. - this was in 2016.

I asked him if there were any plans earlier this year and he said "with all the promotion of the RPO I haven't even thought about the 50th. Thank you for reminding me, I will get onto this"

My best guess (and most likely) would be a 50th celebration "greatest hits" collection. Maybe if we're lucky - like really lucky - a bonus unreleased track, a box set would be nice or even, dare I say it, new album. !

I think RC should retire. Get out of the business and enjoy his nice family and any grandchildren that will surely be coming his way. He and Karen have given us a wonderful and timeless body of great music.

I asked him if there were any plans earlier this year and he said "with all the promotion of the RPO I haven't even thought about the 50th. Thank you for reminding me, I will get onto this"

My best guess (and most likely) would be a 50th celebration "greatest hits" collection. Maybe if we're lucky - like really lucky - a bonus unreleased track, a box set would be nice or even, dare I say it, new album. !
Can I play? :laugh: My guess is that the RPO vinyl album, after a few more unexplained delays, will finally be released on October 9th (50 years to the day since the release of "Offering"). There will be a sticker on the shrink wrap, proudly proclaiming "Carpenters 50"... and that's your anniversary album. Cherish that sticker, collectors! :D

I think RC should retire. Get out of the business and enjoy his nice family and any grandchildren that will surely be coming his way. He and Karen have given us a wonderful and timeless body of great music.

He is retired or semi-retired and stated in 2014 that he's "not really in the business."
If he's asked to do something and it feels right to him he will do it.

I'm sure he's probably had offers we haven't even heard of that he's turned down.
For the last 2 decades he's basically been retired.
If anything we can expect another compilation or RPO 2, but yeah let's not hold our breath and hope he enjoys his life and time with family.

Carpenters is a unique situation obviously. There's plenty of older artists that still live out their dreams and see success to this day.
It's fun to imagine unreleased songs and various compilations that could be...when the realism sets in, I agree how Richard does not owe us anything at this point.
The whole RPO thing was a major surprise as is.

Last edited:
I surmise: Nothing for the 50th.
Richard, apparently, declined an interview for the recent LA Times article.
That article was promoting "Carpenters 50th," the recent convention.
If that did not get him motivated for self-marketing a 50th product,
then, I surmise, nothing is on the horizon.

I hope for a new twist on hits as in the RPO and I enjoyed listening to Richard talk about traditional hits on the Sirius XM Sinatra channel. It is almost a segue into making sure the world knows of Karen’s tribute as a great vocalist of all time. Whatever comes of the 50th Anniversary I feel it might have this type of focus that will carry into future years. After all, her strength is easily seen in the ballads!

Is it weird we have had nothing mentioned about a 50th commemorative boxset or anything official from Universal and it's August already?

It's almost as if it's been a non-event from a music/music company perspective. The only events have been the 50th get together in California and Randy's amazing book.

Or is this the calm before a surprise announcement.....

I think the 50th anniversary came and went months ago. To commemorate it, the label would need Richard behind it and he’s still working on his Ultimate Tinkering Edition of the RPO album (well, I tell a lie, he’s currently on holiday in France with his family).

I was thinking about this thread recently. I thought it would be around now if we have anything coming out this year. Remember what Richard told me after I asked about it.... That he has been too busy with the RPO album to even think about a 50th. He said "thank you for reminding me, I'll get on to this"

Keep in mind that there are still some 50th anniversaries that we haven't reached yet.

- The first release of OFFERING happened in October of 1969.
- The releases of the single and album CLOSE TO YOU happened in 1970.

Any or all of those could be thought of as the 50th Anniversary - for purposes of marketing, anyway.

Remember what Richard told me after I asked about it.... That he has been too busy with the RPO album to even think about a 50th. He said "thank you for reminding me, I'll get on to this"

How on Earth does he even need reminding about such a milestone?

- The releases of the single and album CLOSE TO YOU happened in 1970.

My money would be on this one if it’s going to happen at all.

Back
Top Bottom